Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

This pretense is part of the machinery of Political Correctness.
Pretense?!? Have we devolved so far as a society that basic human respect is a pretense?

Is the ability to easily offend, marginalize and demean something so noble it has to be defended?

PC is not about basic human respect.

It is about the ability to shout down and marginalize people or ideas you don't like.

Which is why I am so strongly against it.

I believe in the Contest of Ideas.
The 'Contest of Ideas' is a noble pursuit. But lathering up with insulting, denigrating and offensive language and epithets dilutes that contest so it appears more like a pro wrestling match and less like William F. Buckley's Firing Line.
The weaponization and application of Political Correctness goes far, far beyond disliking it when someone says a nasty word. In fact, that would be among the very last issues I have with it.

What it actually involves is a segment of the population that uses "being offended" as a way to put their target on the defensive and thereby control the conversation. To wit:

Person 1: "I disagree with Obama on this issue, and here are three reasons why".

Person 2: "You're a racist".

Person 1: "Huh? I'm not a racist, I just disagree with Obama and explained precisely why".

Person 2: "You just disagree with Obama because he's black. You're a racist. This conversation is over, and I'm gonna get you fired"

Person 1: "I'm not a racist, I just, oh, never mind."

Person 2 has leveraged PC to avoid the conversation by putting his target on the defensive.

What it also involves is enabling the bad behavior of a person or group by deflecting away from that behavior.

Person 1: "Something needs to be done about the incredibly high incidence of fatherless black children. Here are the stats."

Person 1: "Hey, no, I'm just pointing out the facts".

Person 2: "I'm not gonna waste my time talking to a racist. This conversation is over, and I'm gonna get you fired"

Person 2 has leveraged PC to avoid the conversation by putting his target on the defensive.

And another example:

Person 1: "The murderer was a devout Muslim and told people he'd slaughter non-believers because his religion tells him to."

Person 2: "Christians killed all kinds people in the Crusades. I don't see you talking about them."

Person 1: "Uh, I'm talking about this specific case".

Person 2: "You think that all Muslims are terrorists. You're an anti-Islam bigot. Not all Muslims are terrorists. This conversation is over, and I'm gonna get you fired"

And the trend continues.

Of course, I could go on and on and on and on, with examples, but I know that you could just Google political correctness examples and come up with about another zillion that have nothing to do with just saying a bad word.

Thank you Mac, that really was the Thread Winner.
The PC Police aren't very fond of my little posts.

Too bad.

Best yet, more and more honest lefties are admitting it.

I'm just a man ahead of my time.

:biggrin:

You work them out with the person you are speaking with. Feel free to write them down as they come up during conversation. The only problem is that this sucks for lazy people. You have to start the process over with each new person you meet.

Where have I broke them in this conversation. What did I say that you found offensive ?
Youve said lots of things I found offensive. I was speaking hypothetically though. You made a claim a few pages back that implied you could read my mind. I find that offensive and that was what I was talking about.
If I had overtly said that I could read your mind would you have taken offense ?
Yep.

I would have never in a million years guessed that you would take offense if someone said they would read your mind. Do you expect everyone to know that about you ?

Me either.

Pretense?!? Have we devolved so far as a society that basic human respect is a pretense?

Is the ability to easily offend, marginalize and demean something so noble it has to be defended?

It is about the ability to shout down and marginalize people or ideas you don't like.

The 'Contest of Ideas' is a noble pursuit. But lathering up with insulting, denigrating and offensive language and epithets dilutes that contest so it appears more like a pro wrestling match and less like William F. Buckley's Firing Line.
The weaponization and application of Political Correctness goes far, far beyond disliking it when someone says a nasty word. In fact, that would be among the very last issues I have with it.

What it actually involves is a segment of the population that uses "being offended" as a way to put their target on the defensive and thereby control the conversation. To wit:

Person 1: "I disagree with Obama on this issue, and here are three reasons why".

Person 1: "Huh? I'm not a racist, I just disagree with Obama and explained precisely why".

Person 2: "You just disagree with Obama because he's black. You're a racist. This conversation is over, and I'm gonna get you fired"

What it also involves is enabling the bad behavior of a person or group by deflecting away from that behavior.

Person 1: "Something needs to be done about the incredibly high incidence of fatherless black children. Here are the stats."

Person 2: "I'm not gonna waste my time talking to a racist. This conversation is over, and I'm gonna get you fired"

And another example:

Person 1: "The murderer was a devout Muslim and told people he'd slaughter non-believers because his religion tells him to."

Person 2: "Christians killed all kinds people in the Crusades. I don't see you talking about them."

Person 2: "You think that all Muslims are terrorists. You're an anti-Islam bigot. Not all Muslims are terrorists. This conversation is over, and I'm gonna get you fired"

And the trend continues.

Of course, I could go on and on and on and on, with examples, but I know that you could just Google political correctness examples and come up with about another zillion that have nothing to do with just saying a bad word.

Too bad.

PC is a tactic of putting the target on the defensive and thus controlling the conversation.

Wonderfully complete and concise and accurate.

I will be using that in the future.

'Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?'

Because some people are ridiculous.

Indeed, it's ridiculous to get upset about something that doesn't exist.

There is no such thing as 'political correctness,' it's a myth contrived by the right in an effort to conceal the racism and bigotry that manifests among the ranks of many republicans and conservatives.

It illustrates how most on the right are hostile to unfettered debate in a free and democratic society, and in the context of private society, where private citizens are at liberty to oppose that which they find offensive, as such opposition neither 'violates' free speech nor manifests as the myth of 'political correctness.'

It was the intent of the Framers that in our free and democratic society the conflicts and controversies of the day might be addressed and resolved by the people through vigorous debate; where the people themselves decide what is or is not appropriate absent unwarranted interference by either the government or the courts, and those who engage in speech or actions repugnant to society as a whole refrain from doing so as a consequence of the admonishment of the people and of their own free will, not by the force of law, in this manner preserving our freedom and liberty.

It is ridiculous to pretend at this late date that Political Correctness does not exist.

Mac had a great post on it which I will quote.

"The weaponization and application of Political Correctness goes far, far beyond disliking it when someone says a nasty word. In fact, that would be among the very last issues I have with it.

And another example:

And the trend continues.

Of course, I could go on and on and on and on, with examples, but I know that you could just Google political correctness examples and come up with about another zillion that have nothing to do with just saying a bad word."

Later he concluded.

"PC is the forced hypersensitivity specifically focused to put the target on the defensive and thus control the conversation."

And might I add, that control generally involves stopping debate on positions that libs can't defend honestly.

Hence Political Correctness.

someone seems defensive... i wonder why... (not really) :lol:

Person 1: "Huh? I'm not a racist, I just...".

Because they are being attacked.

it's all he ever posts about... he's obsessed with this PC topic which he hides behind.

posts responding to his daily obsession threads are not attacks, he's just a big baby who can't face himself.

it's all he ever posts about... he's obsessed with this PC topic which he hides behind.

posts responding to his daily obsession threads are not attacks, he's just a big baby who can't face himself.
Another way to avoid a talking about political correctness, but with the accusation of "hiding behind" PC.

The irony of a doctrine used to hide behind anything that you don't agree with is silly in the extreme.

Type first, think later,eh?

Too bad.

keep telling yourself that, tool. :itsok:

i challenge you or your pal correll here to go find one post where anyone actually called you a racist. let's see if it's ever anyone who is actually in these PC threads too, if it actually ever happens, let's take a look for real right here and now...

let's see an example so we can get some context and perhaps add depth to your point if possible, huh?

let's see something legit besides paraphrasing hypothetical conversations where mac paints pictures and then asks for responses to his imaginary scenarios...

Emotions come from what we believe. Shutting down conversation because you choose to take offense will stifle learning. No pain No gain
I dont think you know what you are talking about. Babies dont believe in anything and they have emotions. So do animals. Not much you can learn from someone that lacks the intellect to self censor in order to facilitate conversation. At least not much you cant learn from someone else.

Whoa dude---you just hurt my feelings. Would you please rephrase that for me please ?
Which part?

You mean you don't know how to censor yourself either ?
What gave you that idea? If someone tells me something hurt their feelings I would try to find another way to put it. Now what hurt your feelings?

You think that telling a person that they don't know what they are talking about is a nice thing to say and promotes communication ?

someone seems defensive... i wonder why... (not really) :lol:

Person 1: "Huh? I'm not a racist, I just...".

Because they are being attacked.

Personally attacking someone is attacking someone.

Calling someone a name is not responding to anything.

Too bad.

i challenge you or your pal correll here to go find one post where anyone actually called you a racist. let's see if it's ever anyone who is actually in these PC threads too, if it actually ever happens, let's take a look for real right here and now...

let's see an example so we can get some context and perhaps add depth to your point if possible, huh?

let's see something legit besides paraphrasing hypothetical conversations where mac paints pictures and then asks for responses to his imaginary scenarios...

Where they called Mac a racist, or they called me a racist?

Why does it have to be us?

Wouldn't an example that is NOT about us lend itself to rational debate more?

Too bad.

Where they called Mac a racist, or they called me a racist?

Why does it have to be us?

Wouldn't an example that is NOT about us lend itself to rational debate more?
The dishonest Regressive Lefties (sorry for the redundancy) will deny anything regarding PC, as they have much to protect.

Trying to communicate with liars like that is pointless.

Fortunately, the list of honest, decent liberals continues to grow! Let the PC Police deny this:

President Obama praised student activists, but also said he disagrees with what Stephanopoulos described as “militant political correctness” on campus, whereby some activists seek to shut down opposing viewpoints. “Being a good citizen, being an activist, involves hearing the other side and making sure that you are engaging in a dialogue because that’s also how change happens,” said President Obama.

Last edited:
The problem with the whole PC thing is the same as everything else in this country it gets so out of hand that it becomes absurd.

Here's a list from the Univ of NH of PC infractions,

bad: senior, senior citizen, elders, older people
you should say: people of advanced age, old people

bad: poor person, poverty stricken
you should say: people experiencing poverty, person living at or below the poverty line

bad: rich people
you should say: person of material wealth

bad: over weight, obese
you should say: people of size

bad: american
you should say: us citizen, resident of the us

bad: caucasian
you should say: european american, white

bad: foreigners
you should say: international people

bad: deaf person
you should say: person who is deaf

bad: blind person
you should say: person who is blind

bad: guys (when referring to people overall)
you should say: folks, people, you all, y'all

bad: girlie or tomboy
you should say: Children who are gender non-conforming, Children who are gender variant

It's amazing that some one is actually getting paid to come up with this stuff.
I really like this one:

idiot: person of questionable intelligence

And another example:

And the trend continues.

Too bad.

You flatter yourself. You're actually a man that makes things up. Like your imaginary conversations.

And another example:

And the trend continues.

Too bad.

You flatter yourself. You're actually a man that makes things up. Like your imaginary conversations.

His examples were spot on.

Do you have anything that actually addresses reality?

And another example:

And the trend continues.

Too bad.

They were not spot on. For instance, his first example. No one would call someone a racist simply for disagreeing with Obama's policies. Someone would however be called a racist if they phrased it, "that black ass Negro in the white house, blah, blah, blah"... Mac is simply lying to suit his agenda.

And another example:

And the trend continues.

Too bad.

My little stalker friends (they keep posting to me even though they know they're on ignore) are like a moth to a flame.

I'm so far up in their heads at this point they can't help themselves.

Observe if they take on my long and growing list of honest liberals. No one has so far.

And another example:

And the trend continues.

Too bad.

They were not spot on. For instance, his first example. No one would call someone a racist simply for disagreeing with Obama's policies. Someone would however be called a racist if they phrased it, "that black ass Negro in the white house, blah, blah, blah"... Mac is simply lying to suit his agenda.

It has been constantly claimed that the reasons Conservatives hate Obama is because he is black.

I have constantly pointed out that we were just as anti-Clinton as we are Anti-Obama.

This is dismissed, and the charge of being racist for being Anti-Obama is constantly remade.

YOur denial of this tactic is not credible.

And another example:

And the trend continues.

Too bad.

My little stalker friends (they keep posting to me even though they know they're on ignore) are like a moth to a flame.

I'm so far up in their heads at this point they can't help themselves.

Observe if they take on my long and growing list of honest liberals. No one has so far.

I beat up on this one for you.:beer:

Forum List

Back