Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

i wasn't following along cuz i'm busy at work...
He was claiming that if he used the term midget I would understand what he meant. I assumed he could read minds and asked him what I was thinking which of course he couldnt answer.

what i'm saying is what if you are a midget, first of all..or related to one.. or just feel compelled to defend vulnerable minorities from the language of insensitive bullies..

replace the word midget with all manner of slurs and then wonder how the heck does disregarding others wishes help with the ideal communication he supposedly seeks?

once you know people find a particular term offensive, why would anyone go out of their way to disregard and insult others, if ideal communication is what they truly seek...

He was not "going out of his way to insult anyone".

Do you think that Asclepias knew what was meant by the term "Midget"?

so dillo and others can claim that pointing out that slurs offend is a barrier to communication, but really the slur is the initial barrier...a thoughtless wrench thrown into communication.
Why is the initial slur the barrier ?

insulted people are less receptive to the ideal communication you say you'd like...

you can feel free to insult them further by dismissing them as overly sensitive, but doing so by no means facilitates ideal communication...

No, the person using PC is completely refusing to communicate at all, as a tactic to control the conversation.

As you well know.

the avoidance

po·lit·i·cal cor·rect·ness
noun
noun: political correctness; noun: political correctitude
  1. the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

1. No off topic comments. Please address the question.
2. Be able to prove your position using common sense. No links
I agree with you. Political correctness is being assigned nowadays to anything that is polite, diplomatic, considerate, and respectful. The people on this board, and those of their ilk, who denounce the concept of political correctness are simply people who do not want to be respectful of the feelings of others and who want to mouth off and be ugly and mean spirited.

there's another real life example in the news this week..the type which the anti-pc crowd love to cry about.

an nba player in the heat of the moment, as he was being ejected from the game by a ref, the player lashed out and called the ref a fucking faggot. which could hypothetically happen to any ref but this ref just so happens to be homosexual.

everyone who heard it was like, whoa did he really just say that..? to him??

naturally social media, as an organic microcosm of human reaction to current events, was atwittah with opinions of the player who made the slur. the player eventually made a public apology for the slur.

Rondo deeply sorry for gay slur to ref

this is what some people are offended over as too "PC".

back in the day people could call others fucking faggots in public and those were the days!

the rabid anti-pc crowd long for the good old days when no one said a peep over such slurs.

aww isn't the PC so awful and oppressive.. well, too fucking bad!

Bullshit.

That is the least of the ways Political Correctness is used today.

As Mac defined it, and as you revealed it in your discussion with me.

TO pretend that this has not already be addressed by contrary information and to repeat your obviously untrue assertion is the Logical Fallacy of Proof by Assertion.

Proof by assertion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Proof by assertion, sometimes informally referred to as proof by repeated assertion, is an informal fallacy in which a proposition is repeatedly restated regardless of contradiction.[1] Sometimes, this may be repeated until challenges dry up, at which point it is asserted as fact due to its not being contradicted (argumentum ad nauseam).[2] In other cases, its repetition may be cited as evidence of its truth, in a variant of the appeal to authority or appeal to belief fallacies.[citation needed]

This fallacy is sometimes used as a form of rhetoric by politicians, or during a debate as a filibuster. In its extreme form, it can also be a form of brainwashing.[1] Modern politics contains many examples of proof by assertions."

it's not about him.. we're talking about the principle...

dillo's thing about words which identify others is one thing and then there's the actual point.

it's not about him.. we're talking about the principle...

dillo's thing about words which identify others is one thing and then there's the actual point.

The point is that Asclepis knew exactly what I was communicating to him but he had to lie in an attempt to prove his silly ass theory.

so your point is with that poster but THE point of this topic goes beyond that simple concept.

words identify people. oookeeaeee

going with dillo's example... if a drowning guy who happens to be black, stands to be rescued by dillo, if dillo feels the need to sling a slur in the moment, i'm sure the black guy would still be grateful for his life and get along with dillo...

which is beside the point of why would anyone not avoid using that term?

why communicate on those terms.. in that situation.. or ever?

Politically correct is not being yourself. You (general you) are speaking to soothe something else instead of BEING yourself. In some cases, it is a polite thing to do. Like "does this dress make me look fat?"
If you want to get laid, you lie if she does. Or, if you don't want to hurt her feelings.

In short...being PC is lying to everyone including yourself.

it's not hard to avoid being deliberately harmful to others...

that you don't want to because it makes you feel dishonest says a lot about you.

opinions and assholes, most everybody has one...

I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

1. No off topic comments. Please address the question.
2. Be able to prove your position using common sense. No links
It depends on how you define it. Some feel they have the right to verbally attack others. But I do know that those the cry the most about following PC tend to over react when they hear something they don't like about themselves.

ironic how this guy, who has so aggressively projected himself as the forum anti PC speech poster-boy, is so offended by the speech of those who speak offensively toward his preferred favorites worth defending...

pile o crap, indeed..

Ironic how the PC Police are so "sensitive" to the "feelings" of certain other people only, being oh so careful to not "offend" or be "micro-aggressive".

And then they'll put together the nastiest, most toxic, most hateful possible comments for people they don't like, such as conservative Christians.

What a pile of crap.

Forum List

Back