Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

"some people have the gall to claim that they are the politically correct ones"

link?

what is it that compels people to conflate this nebulous cliche? :eusa_think:

The cliché term political correctness or "PC" is a snarl word usually referring to upholding a social taboo against language and attitudes that might be considered offensive and/or stupid.[1] This loaded term has become a boogey-man for the right-wing, who use it to tar anything that runs contrary to their own policies, such as letting women out of the kitchen or gays out of the closet.

In full irony, conservatives have also adopted political correctness widely; trying to justify censorship on the grounds that something is "offensive to Christians," for example, or Conservapedia's insistence on BC/AD to the total exclusion of BCE/CE.

In fact, it's probably helpful to remember that in common parlance anything a conservative would consider to be polite speech isn't PC, whereas anything a liberal would consider to be polite speech is. This is why banning the "f-word" from broadcast is neutral and not PC at all, whereas banning a racial epithet from broadcast is.[5]

As above, passive-aggressive people who defend racism or reactionary views and but don't want to be labeled that way attack dissenters as "politically correct."[6]

Political correctness - RationalWiki

what is it that compels people to conflate this nebulous cliche? :eusa_think:

The cliché term political correctness or "PC" is a snarl word usually referring to upholding a social taboo against language and attitudes that might be considered offensive and/or stupid.[1] This loaded term has become a boogey-man for the right-wing, who use it to tar anything that runs contrary to their own policies, such as letting women out of the kitchen or gays out of the closet.

In full irony, conservatives have also adopted political correctness widely; trying to justify censorship on the grounds that something is "offensive to Christians," for example, or Conservapedia's insistence on BC/AD to the total exclusion of BCE/CE.

In fact, it's probably helpful to remember that in common parlance anything a conservative would consider to be polite speech isn't PC, whereas anything a liberal would consider to be polite speech is. This is why banning the "f-word" from broadcast is neutral and not PC at all, whereas banning a racial epithet from broadcast is.[5]

As above, passive-aggressive people who defend racism or reactionary views and but don't want to be labeled that way attack dissenters as "politically correct."[6]

Political correctness - RationalWiki

Are you claiming Rationalwiki to be final authority on the subject and their opinions unassailable?

Political correctness is the right's term to describe cultural sensitivity.

who understands the meaning of a "loaded term" ?

5543051.jpg

And what about all the liberals linked to in Post 742?

Are they closet conservatives?
I have no idea who you're talking about, or how it relates to my statement. How about using your own words to counter my position rather than requiring me to read numerous articles written by someone else.

I have no idea who you're talking about, or how it relates to my statement.
Oh, okay, I'll try to make this easier.

Just go to Post 742. It provides a nice, long list of articles by honest liberals who not only admit that PC exists, but that it has gone too far.

Lots of helpful examples!

You said PC "is the right's term to describe cultural sensitivity", yet those links prove you wrong, as they are by liberals. THEY call it PC.

Are you going to continue to be obtuse, or are you going to answer my question - are those liberals closet conservatives then?

Last edited:

Just go to Post 742. It provides a nice, long list of articles by honest liberals who not only admit that PC exists, but that it has gone too far.

You said PC "is the right's term to describe cultural sensitivity", yet those links prove you wrong, as they are by liberals. THEY call it PC.

Are you going to continue to be obtuse, or are you going to answer my question - are those liberals closet conservatives then?
I could care less what other liberals think. I state my own opinion. That's all. Try and have a discussion without insults. It's a great exercise on a political forum

I could care less what other liberals think. I state my own opinion. That's all. Try and have a discussion without insults. It's a great exercise on a political forum
Okay, I tried.

Full disclosure, I wasn't expecting a straight answer, I never do.

Okay, I tried.

Try giving your own straight answer instead of requiring people to read a multitude of links. Can you write your own persuasive essay?

i didn't read them... he isn't bright enough to comprehend what's beside the point.
I didn't bother either. More than likely a string of "honest" liberals that confirm his bias that PC is destroying the world. In other words, their PC opinion agrees with his PC opinion. Much irony.

Okay, I tried.

Try giving your own straight answer instead of requiring people to read a multitude of links. Can you write your own persuasive essay?

Bull. Mac did it pretty well. And concisely. The CLAIM that the term "PC" is a conservative construct is refuted when so many LIBERALS admit that it has gone too far.

See? Not that hard to follow.

Okay, I tried.

Bull. Mac did it pretty well. And concisely. The CLAIM that the term "PC" is a conservative construct is refuted when so many LIBERALS admit that it has gone too far.

PC is a term people use who want to justify being rude or insensitive to others. That behavior doesn't relate to political party or political leaning at all.

Of courrse, it's just my opinion

Okay, I tried.

PC is a term people use who want to justify being rude or insensitive to others. That behavior doesn't relate to political party or political leaning at all.

Not true.

If some scumbag racist white guy loves using the N word to talk about black people, then objecting to the use of that n word is not merely being PC. It is an effort to elevate the level of discourse to a point where it doesn't get derailed by the intentionally provocative ignorant stupid asshole terminology that is designed to inflame folks.

But when folks say "Black Lives Matter" (which is not even disputed) then voice objection to the observation that "ALL Lives Matter" then that IS the kind of PC bullshit that obfuscates the discussion. IT doesn't clarify the thinking. It sets boundaries of a highly artificial nature which IMPEDE rational thinking and discussion.

If some college kids (not all) object to the discussion of race relations outside of "safe zones," then that's PC run amok. Free speech is free speech. Discussion on historically and societally "difficult" topics may be fraught with some emotions from time to time, but such is the nature of free speech.

I will continue to reject the demands for PC not because i choose to be rude or insensitive. But because i REJECT the claim that it is insensitive to speak the truth even on hard topics.

Okay, I tried.

Sorry but it was so called progressives who initiated the concept of being PC.

Forum List

Back