Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

I could care less what other liberals think. I state my own opinion. That's all. Try and have a discussion without insults. It's a great exercise on a political forum
Okay, I tried.

Full disclosure, I wasn't expecting a straight answer, I never do.
Try giving your own straight answer instead of requiring people to read a multitude of links. Can you write your own persuasive essay?

Bull. Mac did it pretty well. And concisely. The CLAIM that the term "PC" is a conservative construct is refuted when so many LIBERALS admit that it has gone too far.

See? Not that hard to follow.
PC is a term people use who want to justify being rude or insensitive to others. That behavior doesn't relate to political party or political leaning at all.

Of courrse, it's just my opinion

Not true.

If some scumbag racist white guy loves using the N word to talk about black people, then objecting to the use of that n word is not merely being PC. It is an effort to elevate the level of discourse to a point where it doesn't get derailed by the intentionally provocative ignorant stupid asshole terminology that is designed to inflame folks.

But when folks say "Black Lives Matter" (which is not even disputed) then voice objection to the observation that "ALL Lives Matter" then that IS the kind of PC bullshit that obfuscates the discussion. IT doesn't clarify the thinking. It sets boundaries of a highly artificial nature which IMPEDE rational thinking and discussion.

If some college kids (not all) object to the discussion of race relations outside of "safe zones," then that's PC run amok. Free speech is free speech. Discussion on historically and societally "difficult" topics may be fraught with some emotions from time to time, but such is the nature of free speech.

I will continue to reject the demands for PC not because i choose to be rude or insensitive. But because i REJECT the claim that it is insensitive to speak the truth even on hard topics.
The most absurd part of this tactic is how so many who push PC for the sake of "civility" are so nasty & vicious in the way they treat those who dare to disagree with them.

Civility, yeah.

Okay, I tried.

Full disclosure, I wasn't expecting a straight answer, I never do.
Try giving your own straight answer instead of requiring people to read a multitude of links. Can you write your own persuasive essay?

Bull. Mac did it pretty well. And concisely. The CLAIM that the term "PC" is a conservative construct is refuted when so many LIBERALS admit that it has gone too far.

See? Not that hard to follow.
PC is a term people use who want to justify being rude or insensitive to others. That behavior doesn't relate to political party or political leaning at all.

Of courrse, it's just my opinion

Not true.

If some scumbag racist white guy loves using the N word to talk about black people, then objecting to the use of that n word is not merely being PC. It is an effort to elevate the level of discourse to a point where it doesn't get derailed by the intentionally provocative ignorant stupid asshole terminology that is designed to inflame folks.

But when folks say "Black Lives Matter" (which is not even disputed) then voice objection to the observation that "ALL Lives Matter" then that IS the kind of PC bullshit that obfuscates the discussion. IT doesn't clarify the thinking. It sets boundaries of a highly artificial nature which IMPEDE rational thinking and discussion.

If some college kids (not all) object to the discussion of race relations outside of "safe zones," then that's PC run amok. Free speech is free speech. Discussion on historically and societally "difficult" topics may be fraught with some emotions from time to time, but such is the nature of free speech.

I will continue to reject the demands for PC not because i choose to be rude or insensitive. But because i REJECT the claim that it is insensitive to speak the truth even on hard topics.
The most absurd part of this tactic is how so many who push PC for the sake of "civility" are so nasty & vicious in the way they treat those who dare to disagree with them.

Civility, yeah.

A healthy dose of incivility in a discussion may not be particularly illuminating or have any hint of persuasiveness. But at least it can be amusing, from time to time.

If an otherwise legitimate conversation on some meaningful topic gets a bit derailed by an ad hominem, from time to time, life goes on.

But when the ENTIRE conversation gets thrown out in order to facilitate the "feewings" of the whiners (usually the ones who are unable to defend their positions in the rhetorical discussions), then PC has gone way too far.

Fuck PC.

Whatever works for you. Being nasty doesn't feel good to me so I will endeavor to remain civil in political discourse.

i wasn't following along cuz i'm busy at work...
He was claiming that if he used the term midget I would understand what he meant. I assumed he could read minds and asked him what I was thinking which of course he couldnt answer.

what i'm saying is what if you are a midget, first of all..or related to one.. or just feel compelled to defend vulnerable minorities from the language of insensitive bullies..

replace the word midget with all manner of slurs and then wonder how the heck does disregarding others wishes help with the ideal communication he supposedly seeks?

once you know people find a particular term offensive, why would anyone go out of their way to disregard and insult others, if ideal communication is what they truly seek...

He was not "going out of his way to insult anyone".

Do you think that Asclepias knew what was meant by the term "Midget"?
Doesnt really matter what anyone thinks. I've already proven that the same word can and does mean different things to different people. Anyone with an above 5th grade educational level is aware of that.

Last edited:
I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

1. No off topic comments. Please address the question.
2. Be able to prove your position using common sense. No links
I agree with you. Political correctness is being assigned nowadays to anything that is polite, diplomatic, considerate, and respectful. The people on this board, and those of their ilk, who denounce the concept of political correctness are simply people who do not want to be respectful of the feelings of others and who want to mouth off and be ugly and mean spirited.

To me it goes against every leadership principal in the book. The only way you can communicate with someone without being PC is if you have enough credibility to get permission from the person you are trying to reach to be blunt.

I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

People do tend to overdo PC at times.
How can you be too PC if you are trying to communicate with someone?
Too concerned with a person's race. gender, sexual orientation than dealing with them as a person.

Rules:

Too concerned with a person's race. gender, sexual orientation than dealing with them as a person.
Give me an example. It sounds like youre describing a hangup instead of being PC.

Rules:

I agree with you. Political correctness is being assigned nowadays to anything that is polite, diplomatic, considerate, and respectful. The people on this board, and those of their ilk, who denounce the concept of political correctness are simply people who do not want to be respectful of the feelings of others and who want to mouth off and be ugly and mean spirited.

To me it goes against every leadership principal in the book. The only way you can communicate with someone without being PC is if you have enough credibility to get permission from the person you are trying to reach to be blunt.

Nonsense.

You might react with ire at something I've said. You might rant and rave. You might claim to pay no attention to anything I have said.

But, in truth, despite all that, you've heard it.

Part of the message has seeped in to what you try to keep as a closed mind.

Even if you object to some decidedly NON "PC" words, it happens. Practically against your will.

The reality is that most of us learn from others even if we don't much like them or the way they couch their arguments. Learning is not the same as agreeing, of course. But God alone knows what can sprout once a seed gets planted.

Rules:

Give me an example.
Someone bending over backwards to agree with you because you are Black, instead of honestly dealing with you as a person and giving you their opinion, although it might not click with what you believe. Like bleeding heart liberals.

Rules:

Give me an example.
Someone bending over backwards to agree with you because you are Black, instead of honestly dealing with you as a person and giving you their opinion, although it might not click with what you believe. Like bleeding heart liberals.
Thats not PC. Thats simply lying. PC is being honest but polite.

PC example....I disagree with your interpretation of what spice is needed to make Tandoori Chicken.
Non PC....You're an idiot. Thats not what you fucking use to make Tandoori Chicken.

Which one do you think is more conducive to further conversation?

Last edited:

Rules:

Nonsense.

You might react with ire at something I've said. You might rant and rave. You might claim to pay no attention to anything I have said.

Even if you object to some decidedly NON "PC" words, it happens. Practically against your will.

The reality is that most of us learn from others even if we don't much like them or the way they couch their arguments. Learning is not the same as agreeing, of course. But God alone knows what can sprout once a seed gets planted.
Thats a load of blustering bullshit. I know thats the normal mode of operation for you. I can call you something and you would have no clue what it is I meant using an english word.

see. You unwittingly (redundant to be sure) prove my point.

But substantively, as usual, you are flatly wrong. Being stubborn and closed-minded, as you are, is not a good substitute for being right.

I recognize that your use of the English language is limited. You attempt to sound educated, but clearly your education was interrupted.

That's ok. I don't mind your many glaring faults and failings. The POINT remains. Even a drip like you could, at least in theory, say something of moment.

It is possible to even learn from an ignorant pant-load such as you if one is willing to sift through your boundless claptrap and garbage to isolate the one or two nuggets of some possible value.

That's ok, too. I usually don't expect very much of value from your woefully ignorant blather. You generally fail to deliver even that much.

Rules:

Nonsense.

Thats a load of blustering bullshit. I know thats the normal mode of operation for you. I can call you something and you would have no clue what it is I meant using an english word.

see. You unwittingly (redundant to be sure) prove my point.

But substantively, as usual, you are flatly wrong. Being stubborn and closed-minded, as you are, is not a good substitute for being right.

I recognize that your use of the English language is limited. You attempt to sound educated, but clearly your education was interrupted.

That's ok. I don't mind your many glaring faults and failings. The POINT remains. Even a drip like you could, at least in theory, say something of moment.

It is possible to even learn from an ignorant pant-load such as you if one is willing to sift through your boundless claptrap and garbage to isolate the one or two nuggets of some possible value.

That's ok, too. I usually don't expect very much of value from your woefully ignorant blather. You generally fail to deliver even that much.
You never have a point other than to sound like an idiot. Its amazing you havent figured out that one word can have a different meaning to different people. I am really amazed you professed that thought and actually think its true.

He was claiming that if he used the term midget I would understand what he meant. I assumed he could read minds and asked him what I was thinking which of course he couldnt answer.

what i'm saying is what if you are a midget, first of all..or related to one.. or just feel compelled to defend vulnerable minorities from the language of insensitive bullies..

replace the word midget with all manner of slurs and then wonder how the heck does disregarding others wishes help with the ideal communication he supposedly seeks?

once you know people find a particular term offensive, why would anyone go out of their way to disregard and insult others, if ideal communication is what they truly seek...

Doesnt really matter what anyone thinks. I've already proven that the same word can and does mean different things to different people. Anyone with an above 5th grade educational level is aware of that.

So even tho midget might mean different things to different people you could still point one out in a crowd ?

So even tho midget might mean different things to different people you could still point one out in a crowd ?
It depends on what I think a midget is. Basically if what you consider a midget doesnt match with mine then you have failed to communicate. Better be careful. That idiot ilar Myler thinks that all people have the same definition for each word.

Rules:

That's actually the only sensible thing I've read on the subject as an objection. Though I'm not sure how difficult it would be, or even mind controlling, to avoid calling someone the nword or the cword or the fword.

Rules:

Give me an example.
Oh, nevermind. You meant something completely different than I took it.

It depends on what I think a midget is. Basically if what you consider a midget doesnt match with mine then you have failed to communicate. Better be careful. That idiot ilar Myler thinks that all people have the same definition for each word.

Is that a yes or a no ?

Is that a yes or a no ?
Those are not my only options. Read my post carefully. The first sentence mentions it depends.

Rules:

That's actually the only sensible thing I've read on the subject as an objection. Though I'm not sure how difficult it would be, or even mind controlling, to avoid calling someone the nword or the cword or the fword.

Oh hell---even just saying certain words will cause people to have fits. You don't have to call anyone anything.

Forum List

Back