CDZ Why is racism ok if the target is white?

Racism is an ugly thing, one that can have enormously harmful effects on society. One would hope that this would be recognized by people on all sides, but sadly this is not often the case.

In recent years, I have noticed an increase in racism. First, there has been an increase in antisemitic language on various sites that appear to be associated with people who identify as the alt-right. Second, there has been an increase in anti-white language from people, especially minorities, on the left.

Both trends are disturbing. But I find the latter trend to be more dangerous in one important way. While the racists on the alt-right are generally condemned by ā€œrespectableā€ society, the racists on the left are often tolerated by the left wing part of such society.

There is no justification for this differential treatment. Racism ā€“ hatred of racial groups rather than of individuals for their actions ā€“ is pernicious. Since humans are so group-oriented, racism appears to be tempting, but that means that social norms need to condemn it strongly and consistently.

The most recent, high visible toleration of left wing racism is by the New York Times, which hired Sarah Jeong. Jeong has a first-rate left-wing resume, but her Twitter feed is filled with outrageously racist tweets, such as ā€œOh man itā€™s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white menā€ and ā€œDumbass fucking white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants.ā€

If these were tweets of a white person or a right winger, the New York Times would never, ever hire that person. Why would they hire Jeong?

Her public apology for the tweets is very weak ā€“ it suggests she did it in retaliation of harassment, but it does not appear all of the tweets were in response to such actions.

This is sad. I am not one who looks back on a golden age of the New York Times when it was a neutral newspaper. But I have to admit things appear to have gotten much worse in recent years. This type of action not only harms society, but also harms the reputation of an institution which it is hard to respect, despite it being the ā€œleading newspaper in the nation.ā€

The Racism of New York Times Reporter Sarah Jeong - Law & Liberty

Now I doubt that all Lefties support this any more than all righties support racism against anyone else, but still the NY Times hires this person? Anybody want to take a whack at explaining why this isn't highly hypocritical? Yes, the Times can hire whoever they want, but can you imagine the outcry if Fox News hired a person who said the exact same thing about any minority you car to name?
This is one of the more moronic of rightwing lies ā€“ that racism against whites is somehow ā€˜justifiedā€™ or ā€˜condoned,ā€™ when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

Then why did The NY Times hire someone whoā€™s obviously racist against whites?

Back to the topic, why is racism of one group okay and another group not?

Because it's not racism if you lack the institutional power to act on it.

Ms. Jeong can dislike white men who hit on her and say derogatory things about her all day, but there isn't much she can do about it.

White racists work very hard all day to keep people of color down.

That's possibly the most idiotic thing I have read in some time. Racism is a mindset, not an action item.

Ok, there ought to be a TV show called : "The hunt for white privilege." Devoted to discovering the truth behind this allegation, where it can be found, and who exactly these mysterious "privileged white people" are. Because, none of the people I associate with are rich college edumucated and hell, 85% of all the homeless folks I have seen were white. So that privilege thing goes out the window. Say bye bye to another myth.

White privilege, as I understand it, is not what you think it is. It stems from the fact that in America whites are (for the time being) the majority and have been for many years. Our society is changing rapidly and becoming far more accepting of minorities as they become a larger part of the population, so itā€™s getting harder to isolate instances of white privilege, but as I understand it, here are a few examples.

Flip through TV channels and youā€™ll see more white people than black people. This isnā€™t the case as much anymore but go back 30 - 40 years or more and itā€™d be harder to miss.

There are more white men in power than men of color in power, which is a result of enjoying majority status, though as we welcome more blacks, Latinos, etc. this will slowly change bc in America all men are created equal so itā€™s pretty much an inevitability.

It used to be difficult to find black or brown options for dolls and action figures. I remember growing up I had a TON of barbies and only one of those barbies was black. If Iā€™d been black I wonder how hard it would have been to find more than a couple barbies that didnā€™t look like twins.

The more diverse we become, the more white privilege, or the privilege of the majority if thatā€™s how you want to think of it, becomes less noticeable. Hopefully this helps you to understand the whole ā€œprivilegeā€ matter a little better. To me, privilege isnā€™t a matter of how successful you are but more about societal norms that for a person of the majority (white person) itā€™s difficult to notice.

White privilege, ah, that magic unicorn of the deluded left. Mostly rich privileged white or black activists suffer from that delusion or mental defect. If I have this so called "white privilege", where can I find it? Because I can use all the help I can get.

You get it every time an HR person reads your resume and sees you have a white name, and you get a call when someone with a non-white name doesn't, even if they have the same qualifications.

You get it when a cop gives you a pass for going 5 MPH over the posted speed limit when a person of color gets pulled over and his car searched.

Iā€™m white and have NEVER gotten a cop to give me a pass, even when I was visibly upset. You canā€™t prove treatment by cops is white privilege unless you can prove all cops are racist against minorities.

So, being poor and white, I would like to tap into this hidden goldmine of white privilege. Did I miss something? I must have missed the gravy train. Opps. Could you rich white privileged people share the secret code with us poor whites.? Sorry, we are a little slow.

I'm sure you did miss something. while I find it amusing that you seem to think that you are put upon because of your own failures.

So on Twitter one is banned because she used the word black in racist tweets and the other one is still in good standing in spite of her using the word white in her racist tweets. And they were the exact same tweets they just changed one word, from white to black.

Except they weren't in the same context. What we didn't see in the tweets from Ms. Joeng were all the posts she was responding to, which were full of racist and misogynistic invective, which is what she was responding to.

It doesnā€™t matter if she was responding or not. Thatā€™s what you donā€™t get. Insulting and wishing harm on an entire race bc a few people from that race were mean to you is idiotic to say the least. And there are better ways to deal with trolls than going the hateful route.

Ms. Jeong can dislike white men who hit on her and say derogatory things about her all day, but there isn't much she can do about it.

Jeong can dislike people that hit on her all day long, however her attack was on all white men. That is in the same stupid logic that claims because of a few bad cops, all cops are bad, or a few Muslims are terrorists, that makes all Muslims terrorists, it is really stupid logic and that of a person that wanted attention by going on stupid rants. So why does Twitter allow that but not a black woman condemning all black men?

Racism is an ugly thing, one that can have enormously harmful effects on society. One would hope that this would be recognized by people on all sides, but sadly this is not often the case.

In recent years, I have noticed an increase in racism. First, there has been an increase in antisemitic language on various sites that appear to be associated with people who identify as the alt-right. Second, there has been an increase in anti-white language from people, especially minorities, on the left.

Both trends are disturbing. But I find the latter trend to be more dangerous in one important way. While the racists on the alt-right are generally condemned by ā€œrespectableā€ society, the racists on the left are often tolerated by the left wing part of such society.

There is no justification for this differential treatment. Racism ā€“ hatred of racial groups rather than of individuals for their actions ā€“ is pernicious. Since humans are so group-oriented, racism appears to be tempting, but that means that social norms need to condemn it strongly and consistently.

The most recent, high visible toleration of left wing racism is by the New York Times, which hired Sarah Jeong. Jeong has a first-rate left-wing resume, but her Twitter feed is filled with outrageously racist tweets, such as ā€œOh man itā€™s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white menā€ and ā€œDumbass fucking white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants.ā€

If these were tweets of a white person or a right winger, the New York Times would never, ever hire that person. Why would they hire Jeong?

Her public apology for the tweets is very weak ā€“ it suggests she did it in retaliation of harassment, but it does not appear all of the tweets were in response to such actions.

This is sad. I am not one who looks back on a golden age of the New York Times when it was a neutral newspaper. But I have to admit things appear to have gotten much worse in recent years. This type of action not only harms society, but also harms the reputation of an institution which it is hard to respect, despite it being the ā€œleading newspaper in the nation.ā€

The Racism of New York Times Reporter Sarah Jeong - Law & Liberty

Now I doubt that all Lefties support this any more than all righties support racism against anyone else, but still the NY Times hires this person? Anybody want to take a whack at explaining why this isn't highly hypocritical? Yes, the Times can hire whoever they want, but can you imagine the outcry if Fox News hired a person who said the exact same thing about any minority you car to name?
There seems to be this view that racism is the result of having power and money and historically that has been white people so the arguement is because of this only white people can be racist. The problem here is racism is the product of hate and ignorance and these can be found in people of all races and financial status which means racism is not the sole domian of any group.

Jeong can dislike people that hit on her all day long, however her attack was on all white men. That is in the same stupid logic that claims because of a few bad cops, all cops are bad, or a few Muslims are terrorists, that makes all Muslims terrorists, it is really stupid logic and that of a person that wanted attention by going on stupid rants. So why does Twitter allow that but not a black woman condemning all black men?

And why does the NY Times hire such a person? Would they hire a black woman who condemns all black men? Doubt it.

Because she's a fantastic tech writer. That's why.

The fact she used offensive language against Trolls 3 years ago doesn't take away from that.

again, since we don't see what she was responding to, we don't know the context.

We don't know if that's what she really thinks (which I doubt, she has to work next to white folks all day), or if she was just trying to get a rise out of some white trolls on Twitter.

It doesnā€™t matter if she was responding or not. Thatā€™s what you donā€™t get. Insulting and wishing harm on an entire race bc a few people from that race were mean to you is idiotic to say the least. And there are better ways to deal with trolls than going the hateful route.

Again, words don't hurt anyone... that's what you guys claim when one of your clowns gets caught being racist.

Because she's a fantastic tech writer. That's why.

The fact she used offensive language against Trolls 3 years ago doesn't take away from that.

again, since we don't see what she was responding to, we don't know the context.

We don't know if that's what she really thinks (which I doubt, she has to work next to white folks all day), or if she was just trying to get a rise out of some white trolls on Twitter.

Again, words don't hurt anyone... that's what you guys claim when one of your clowns gets caught being racist.

So she artacked and stereotype ALL white men, so we do know what she thinks, she posted it, she is responsible for her stupid racial posts.

ā€œWhy is racism ok if the target is white?ā€

It isnā€™t.

And no one said it is.

The notion that racism is ever ā€˜OKā€™ is just another ridiculous rightwing lie.

Then why do I routinely get told itā€™s impossible to be racist against white people? This belief is embraced by some on the left whether you want to believe it or not.

I don't know who is telling you that is my answer. Send them to me and I'll set them straight.

Heck, the overdone example is: leave enough whites alone in whitey Germany and they'll decide some folks aren't really white or are bad white and decide to gas them.

For something more modern, I can't tell a Serb from a Croat from a Bosnian at 50 paces but they sure can.

Its not just a white thing either. Our Asian brothers lectured me once on differences between Korean, Chinese and Filipino women, or was it Japanese......point is, I can't tell the difference possibly because I grew up not caring in a fairly diverse place, but they sure can.

It isnā€™t.

And no one said it is.

The notion that racism is ever ā€˜OKā€™ is just another ridiculous rightwing lie.

Then why do I routinely get told itā€™s impossible to be racist against white people? This belief is embraced by some on the left whether you want to believe it or not.

I don't know who is telling you that is my answer. Send them to me and I'll set them straight.

Heck, the overdone example is: leave enough whites alone in whitey Germany and they'll decide some folks aren't really white or are bad white and decide to gas them.

For something more modern, I can't tell a Serb from a Croat from a Bosnian at 50 paces but they sure can.

Its not just a white thing either. Our Asian brothers lectured me once on differences between Korean, Chinese and Filipino women, or was it Japanese......point is, I can't tell the difference possibly because I grew up not caring in a fairly diverse place, but they sure can.

People who say theyā€™re against racism have called me out as having an easy life and how could I possibly know anything about anything using only my skin color to make this assessment. This has just happened online, mind you, but online is where people feel brave to express their true feelings so I do take them seriously. Also check this out:

It isnā€™t.

And no one said it is.

People who say theyā€™re against racism have called me out as having an easy life and how could I possibly know anything about anything using only my skin color to make this assessment. This has just happened online, mind you, but online is where people feel brave to express their true feelings so I do take them seriously. Also check this out:

I didn't watch the video. I am in a quiet place and have a short attention span.

Being white does give ppl an easier life. Both small businesses I have worked for know what high schools are "black" and are/were way less likely to read a resume if someone had a last name of Johnson and went to one of those schools. White folks had an easier time getting a job.

Not that thug culture doesn't suck and it isn't impossible to get out of the ghetto. Life IS easier for white folks though.

Should ppl be embarassed to be white? Sometimes. To stick with WWII, god, Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, they make me embarrassed to be human on a whole. But also, they are the white of the emancipation proclamation (pragmatic as it was). They are the white of the 101st Airborne who fought Hitler, stood ready to fight Stalin and fought for de-segregation in Arkansas. (edit:typo)

Oh, noes, some little girl is a drama queen. That's totally as bad as 400 years of Racial Oppression in America by white folks.

Get real. Being White in this country is a big advantage.

It isnā€™t.

And no one said it is.

Quite wrong.

The New York times has excused it which means they say it is OK. Your denial is a left wing lie.

So she artacked and stereotype ALL white men, so we do know what she thinks, she posted it, she is responsible for her stupid racial posts.

Okay, I realize that your white privilege was hurt by the scary Asian Lady... but no one cares.
There is no such thing as white privilege.

Either racism is ok or it is not.

Yes many care including you or you would not be defending a racist.

First and foremost, since white people already have institutional power just by virtue of being white, there's really not anything Sarah Jeong can really do about them, is there?

As opposed to white people who practice racism who are often in positions of power and use it to discriminate.

Second, we have yet to see what the full exchanges were that these comments were made. You know, "context". Was she responding to a bunch of racist and misogynistic comments directed towards her? Then the comments become a lot more understandable. Not good, mind you, but understandable.

Third, Fox News has hired people who've said some truly awful things.
First as a published author in the NYT she has more power than most white people.

Second yes we HAVE seen the full exchanges which include the context.

She is simply a racist ****. But keep excusing racism.

White privilege, ah, that magic unicorn of the deluded left. Mostly rich privileged white or black activists suffer from that delusion or mental defect. If I have this so called "white privilege", where can I find it? Because I can use all the help I can get.

You get it every time an HR person reads your resume and sees you have a white name, and you get a call when someone with a non-white name doesn't, even if they have the same qualifications.

You get it when a cop gives you a pass for going 5 MPH over the posted speed limit when a person of color gets pulled over and his car searched.

There is no such thing as a white name or non white name.

I've seen plenty of people of all races get such a pass and get searched.

Your premise is a failure.

Forum List

Back