Why no support for Fair Trade?

DustyInfinity

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2018
Even on Fox, they are fear mongering and pushing the 'trade war' narrative. Why is their no support for a pushback against unfair trade policies? Other countries, even our friends, are charging 25% tariffs on our goods, and we are not allowed to respond at all? Even guys like Ben Shapiro are calling it a tax on our own people. How is it creating winners and losers when we are already losing across the board? Of course there will be a rise in price of goods, but I believe it is being hyped by people who are afraid to stand up for our country. I can not see why people are so timid against everyone charging for US goods.

Even on Fox, they are fear mongering and pushing the 'trade war' narrative. Why is their no support for a pushback against unfair trade policies? Other countries, even our friends, are charging 25% tariffs on our goods, and we are not allowed to respond at all? Even guys like Ben Shapiro are calling it a tax on our own people. How is it creating winners and losers when we are already losing across the board? Of course there will be a rise in price of goods, but I believe it is being hyped by people who are afraid to stand up for our country. I can not see why people are so timid against everyone charging for US goods.

Yup try buying a Harley in Europe or a F150 in China . Only the rich can afford it there

Let's have some facts.

Who has tariffs against the US and what are the tariffs the US imposes back?

This all sounds like sales "oh, it's 25% cheaper than the nearest competitor's" "Which means what?" "It means it's 25% cheaper than..." "Oh, shut up".

Tariffs are great as long as the US is getting shafted.

If its the other countries then there is a problem.

Tariffs are great...
Lots of extreme left wingers like taxes, including these massive tax hikes on imports that we've been hearing about.

Sure, the U.S. is a force for good and its gov't needs our money but imho there has to be limits and in general Americans are already being taxed way too much. This thing w/ trade is that low taxes on imports is good, but what I see the current administration doing is make it better. This is super hard for most folks to understand. Like, it's so much easier to say 'my side's good & yours is bad'.

Reality: free markets (both local & foreign) are good. Freer markets are better.

Last edited:
...Who has tariffs against the US and what are the tariffs the US imposes back?...
Those are good questions and the answers are what explains what's going on.

NAFTA is good; we're so much better off since Reagan/Bush wrote it up & Clinton signed it. That said, it can be much better. The complete treaty (link to full text here) is some 400 pages that mostly spell out how and where NAFTA rules won't apply to Canada & Mexico.

My take is that we're making a big fuss to make it better and I see cause for hope here; we'll see if it works.

Liberals and CNN would support it...but Trump is for it...so they are against it.

I am for fair trade. If everyone plays by the same rules good. If not negotiate a better deal.

NAFTA is good; we're so much better off since Reagan/Bush wrote it up & Clinton signed it.

What? Texas had a $260 million agricultural trade surplus with Mexico and Canada before NAFTA, a $1.3 billion agricultural trade deficit after NAFTA. Texas lost 70,000 manufacturing jobs after NAFTA.

NAFTA is good; we're so much better off since Reagan/Bush wrote it up & Clinton signed it.
...Texas lost 70,000 manufacturing jobs after NAFTA...
Made up numbers? The bls.gov says that w/ NAFTA Texas has gotten five million new jobs:
texas92empl.png

Forum List

Back