Why republicans should stop whining about the debt that has accumulated under Obama

So let me get this straight

Because Bush spent that means we are suppose to let Obama OFF the hook for HIS SPENDING

It must be hell to be an Obama cult member and find way's to COVER HIS ASS

dear gawd with voters thinking this way we doomed

I don't think anyone voted for Obama thinking he wouldn't be a spender. Bush was supposed to be a conservative. He was handed a balanced budget. The debt should have come down. Instead he spent like crazy and handed Obama 2 wars.

actually you'er lying to yourself. obama ran as a moderate; saying it was wrong to run up huge spendind debt. but hey some of us are used to you lefties re-writing your own even recent history. obama also called it a "failure of leadership" to keep rasising the Debt Ceiling and VOTED AGAINST RAISING IT. nowadays the idiotic Left calls it traitorious to now want to raise it because "its for money already spent". i guess that wasnt the case when obama opposed it?

libs are losers who lie to themselves

Here is a no bullshit assessment about what exactly the debt under Obama is composed of. As you can see Obama's biggest expenses were his TAX CUTS and defense spending.

President Barack Obama - The second largest contributor to the debt dollar-wise was President Obama. He added $4.8 trillion, a 41% increase, in just one term. Obama's budgets included the economic stimulus package, which added $787 billion by cutting taxes, extending unemployment benefits, and funding job-creating public works projects. The Obama tax cuts added $858 billion to the debt over two years. Obama's budget included increased defense spending to around $800 billion a year. Federal income was down, thanks to lower tax receipts from the 2008 financial crisis.

Both Presidents Bush and Obama had to contend with higher mandatory mandatory spending for Social Security and Medicare. He also sponsored the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was designed to reduce the debt by $143 billion over 10 years. However, these savings didn't show up until the later years.

US Debt by President

Of course, all this being said, I do agree Obama has spent too much on defense and he shouldn't have extended Bush's tax cuts. My point is that Repubs are ignorant about what exactly Obama's expenses are.

The right prefers ignorance to facts.

The facts have a liberal bias

So let me get this straight

Because Bush spent that means we are suppose to let Obama OFF the hook for HIS SPENDING

It must be hell to be an Obama cult member and find way's to COVER HIS ASS

dear gawd with voters thinking this way we doomed

I don't think anyone voted for Obama thinking he wouldn't be a spender. Bush was supposed to be a conservative. He was handed a balanced budget. The debt should have come down. Instead he spent like crazy and handed Obama 2 wars.

actually you'er lying to yourself. obama ran as a moderate; saying it was wrong to run up huge spendind debt. but hey some of us are used to you lefties re-writing your own even recent history. obama also called it a "failure of leadership" to keep rasising the Debt Ceiling and VOTED AGAINST RAISING IT. nowadays the idiotic Left calls it traitorious to now want to raise it because "its for money already spent". i guess that wasnt the case when obama opposed it?

libs are losers who lie to themselves

Everyone knows liberals like to spend. Conservatives are supposed to balance that out by not spending. What we have now is no balance because both spend.

Everyone knows liberals like to spend. Conservatives are supposed to balance that out by not spending. What we have now is no balance because both spend.

I really liked Reagan, but he jacked up the deficits too.

Once the Republicans started spending like drunken sailors on leave too - they lost me.

Here is a no bullshit assessment about what exactly the debt under Obama composed of. As you can see Obama's biggest expenses were his TAX CUTS and defense spending.

US Debt by President

talk about biased bullshit reporting------------

lets cut the crap. the debt when obama took over was around 10 trillion, today it is around 17 trillion, when he leaves it will be over 20 trillion.

forget the % increase bullshit, lets talk about actual dollars added to the debt

obama will have added more to the the debt than all previous presidents COMBINED.

as to your charts--------figures don't lie, but liars figure.

I am not disputing this. You are right. However it is important to realize that Obama is spending at the same rate Bush was at the end of his term.
At the end of Bush's term he was dealing with an economy in melt down, thanks to the Democrats running Congress.
After Obama's first year he had an economy in recovery.
They are not comparable.

Once the Republicans started spending like drunken sailors on leave too - they lost me.

Same here.

I believe there are a lot of us out here - but so many in the GOP want to pretend that we don't exist.

Same here.

I believe there are a lot of us out here - but so many in the GOP want to pretend that we don't exist.

I'm usually told I'm a liberal and have always been a liberal. They like to live oblivious to what the party actually does, and just believe what they say.

Same here.

I'm usually told I'm a liberal and have always been a liberal. They like to live oblivious to what the party actually does, and just believe what they say.

Yeah, I've gotten that same crap too. Anyone who doesn't swallow the hook, line, and sinker gets a label. Usually "liberal."

Here is a no bullshit assessment about what exactly the debt under Obama composed of. As you can see Obama's biggest expenses were his TAX CUTS and defense spending.

President Barack Obama - The second largest contributor to the debt dollar-wise was President Obama. He added $4.8 trillion, a 41% increase, in just one term. Obama's budgets included the economic stimulus package, which added $787 billion by cutting taxes, extending unemployment benefits, and funding job-creating public works projects. The Obama tax cuts added $858 billion to the debt over two years. Obama's budget included increased defense spending to around $800 billion a year. Federal income was down, thanks to lower tax receipts from the 2008 financial crisis.

Both Presidents Bush and Obama had to contend with higher mandatory mandatory spending for Social Security and Medicare. He also sponsored the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was designed to reduce the debt by $143 billion over 10 years. However, these savings didn't show up until the later years.
US Debt by President

lets cut the crap. the debt when obama took over was around 10 trillion, today it is around 17 trillion, when he leaves it will be over 20 trillion.

forget the % increase bullshit, lets talk about actual dollars added to the debt

obama will have added more to the the debt than all previous presidents COMBINED.

The debt at the end of Bush's last fiscal year was $11.9 trillion and the interest alone for that GOP National Debt inherited by Obama has been over $1 trillion, so $13+ trillion of that $17 trillion is directly connected to the spending of 3 GOP presidents, Reagan, Bush I and Bush II, and that doesn't count the carryover from the cost of Bush's two wars including continuing medical care for the injured vets.

I am not disputing this. You are right. However it is important to realize that Obama is spending at the same rate Bush was at the end of his term.
At the end of Bush's term he was dealing with an economy in melt down, thanks to the Democrats running Congress.
They are not comparable.
BULLSHIT!
Name the legislation and the date it passed over Bush's veto that caused the Bush Depression, or STFU!

US Debt by President

And if this were you house, what would you be doing....?

What has Obama done...nothing but raise the debt ceiling.

Our self proclaimed....transparent, uniting, all loving, leader has been complete AWOL on the spending and entitlement issue. He has not offered up any SERIOUS proposals (and his GRAND BARGAIN was nothing but a smoke screen).

We are in runnaway freight train when it comes to spending and Obama has done nothing...nothing...nothing to stop it.

Cut with the crap threads.

The debt at the end of Bush's last fiscal year was $11.9 trillion...

Right...and let's just overlook the fact that the budget for Bush's last fiscal year (2009), which was and approved by Congress on June 8, 2008 was a FAR CRY from the budget that was signed into effect by Obama on March 11, 2009, nearly five and a half months into the fiscal year.

My how you overlook those pesky little facts.

and the interest alone for that GOP National Debt inherited by Obama has been over $1 trillion, so $13+ trillion of that $17 trillion is directly connected to the spending of 3 GOP presidents, Reagan, Bush I and Bush II, and that doesn't count the carryover from the cost of Bush's two wars including continuing medical care for the injured vets.

Nobody is denying Bush spent too much. But to suggest that the nearly $5.6 trillion of additional debt piled on since the end of FY2009 is the fault of past presidents is beyond ridiculous.

Obama and the big government fucks in Congress, which includes both Ds and Rs are responsible for this monumental mess. Anyone with a modicum of common sense understands that.

Your bias is overwhelming.

They are not comparable.
BULLSHIT!
Name the legislation and the date it passed over Bush's veto that caused the Bush Depression, or STFU!

lol, the BUSH depression
how cute...now get you panties out, because Bush had a Democrat congress, so take a breath they had a hand in everything too

But Obama has the reputation of the slowest, weakest recovery ever, the highest unemployment rate all of his term as President.............. right

Last edited:
Nobody is denying Bush spent too much. But to suggest that the nearly $5.6 trillion of additional debt piled on since the end of FY2009 is the fault of past presidents is beyond ridiculous.

The additional debt is not ALL the fault of previous presidents and congresses. But when THEY committed the U.S. to financial obligations, they bear some responsibility for later administrations and congresses honoring those commitments.

For example - could Obama just immediately turn off the faucet on Iraq or Afghanistan?

I think he's clear on what we would have had to spend if he had elected to withdraw as quickly as possible. His decision NOT to do that - puts him and that congress on the hook for what we've spent in those places above and beyond that quick withdrawal level.

Just MHO.

Right...and let's just overlook the fact that the budget for Bush's last fiscal year (2009), which was and approved by Congress on June 8, 2008 was a FAR CRY from the budget that was signed into effect by Obama on March 11, 2009, nearly five and a half months into the fiscal year.

and the interest alone for that GOP National Debt inherited by Obama has been over $1 trillion, so $13+ trillion of that $17 trillion is directly connected to the spending of 3 GOP presidents, Reagan, Bush I and Bush II, and that doesn't count the carryover from the cost of Bush's two wars including continuing medical care for the injured vets.

Obama and the big government fucks in Congress, which includes both Ds and Rs are responsible for this monumental mess. Anyone with a modicum of common sense understands that.

How can interest on the debt run up by past GOP presidents NOT be the fault of those past GOP presidents??? And what makes you think that the spending on policies enacted by past presidents ends the day they leave office??? Talk about being beyond ridiculous!!!

Why republicans should stop whining about the debt that has accumulated under Obama

Why should anyone, regardless of party,we should be burning the feet off everyone of them.

So freaking stupid Bush did it so Obama should get a pass. Good grief did your parents have any kids that lived?

The additional debt is not ALL the fault of previous presidents and congresses. But when THEY committed the U.S. to financial obligations, they bear some responsibility for later administrations and congresses honoring those commitments.

For example - could Obama just immediately turn off the faucet on Iraq or Afghanistan?.

Setting aside the fact that the cost of those wars are PITTANCE compared to the overall budget for the DOD (about 20% of the federal budget)...not to mention the FAR higher amount spent on entitlements, the answer is "yes". As the commander-in-chief of the military, Obama has the power to 'turn off the faucet' on Iraq and Afghanistan. But as we know, he INCREASED the number of troops in Afghanistan quite dramatically. So let's not suggest the cost of those wars are all on Bush, because we know that's not the case.

I think he's clear on what we would have had to spend if he had elected to withdraw as quickly as possible. His decision NOT to do that - puts him and that congress on the hook for what we've spent in those places above and beyond that quick withdrawal level.

Just MHO

Again, a drop in the bucket:

For example, the the FY2001-FY2013, all direct spending on the Afghan war reached $641.7 billion, of which $198.2 billion – or over 30% – will be spent in FY2012 and FY2013.

http://csis.org/files/publication/120515_US_Spending_Afghan_War_SIGAR.pdf

The DOD ANNUAL budget? Well over $500 Billion.

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/07/everything-chuck-hagel-needs-to-know-about-the-defense-budget-in-charts/]America?s staggering defense budget, in charts[/URL]

Last edited:

How can interest on the debt run up by past GOP presidents NOT be the fault of those past GOP presidents???

Because Congress approves spending and last I checked, ever budget passed (when they bothered to pass a budget) was done so with both Dem and Republican support.

That's why.

And what makes you think that the spending on policies enacted by past presidents ends the day they leave office??? Talk about being beyond ridiculous!!!

Get thee a book on how government works. Spending is enacted by Congress, no presidents. And Congress most certainly does have the power to NOT spend on policies enacted in the past...but they don't do that, do they?

Your overwhelming bias...and ignorance...is showing.

How can interest on the debt run up by past GOP presidents NOT be the fault of those past GOP presidents??? And what makes you think that the spending on policies enacted by past presidents ends the day they leave office??? Talk about being beyond ridiculous!!!

you are correct.

BUT, now please pay attention.

debt when obama took office 10T
debt today 17T
debt when obama leaves office over 20T

obama will have added more to the debt than all previous presidents COMBINED.

Those are the facts, its not rhetoric, its real numbers.

you can blame bush, reagan or washington------but your hero obama has added more to the debt than all of them combined.

Forum List

Back