Why republicans should stop whining about the debt that has accumulated under Obama

talk about biased bullshit reporting------------

lets cut the crap. the debt when obama took over was around 10 trillion, today it is around 17 trillion, when he leaves it will be over 20 trillion.

forget the % increase bullshit, lets talk about actual dollars added to the debt

obama will have added more to the the debt than all previous presidents COMBINED.

as to your charts--------figures don't lie, but liars figure.

I am not disputing this. You are right. However it is important to realize that Obama is spending at the same rate Bush was at the end of his term.

Obama said Bush's deficit spending was unpatriotic.

Bush never said such a thing.

So are you saying that Obama is no better than Bush?

Interesting seeing as most on the left on this board see Bush as the worst in Modern history and Obama as the best in modern history.

But the best does the same as the worst.

Got it.

I for one am no fan of either. For me Clinton was the best modern president. We did get a balanced budget after all. He had flaws and certainly didn't do it all on his own, but bottom line is it got done while he was president.

Here is a no bullshit assessment about what exactly the debt under Obama is composed of. As you can see Obama's biggest expenses were his TAX CUTS and defense spending.

President Barack Obama - The second largest contributor to the debt dollar-wise was President Obama. He added $4.8 trillion, a 41% increase, in just one term. Obama's budgets included the economic stimulus package, which added $787 billion by cutting taxes, extending unemployment benefits, and funding job-creating public works projects. The Obama tax cuts added $858 billion to the debt over two years. Obama's budget included increased defense spending to around $800 billion a year. Federal income was down, thanks to lower tax receipts from the 2008 financial crisis.

Both Presidents Bush and Obama had to contend with higher mandatory mandatory spending for Social Security and Medicare. He also sponsored the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was designed to reduce the debt by $143 billion over 10 years. However, these savings didn't show up until the later years.

US Debt by President

Of course, all this being said, I do agree Obama has spent too much on defense and he shouldn't have extended Bush's tax cuts. My point is that Repubs are ignorant about what exactly Obama's expenses are.

Tax cuts are not an expense.

Yes. They. Are.

Just because Cheney told you weren't, it doesn't mean he was telling the truth.:cuckoo:

If you are right, the USA is history. We will fall apart like Greece or the old USSR.

I hope you are wrong, but we are very close to falling over the edge.

Even guys who have a sense of that it's essential to cut government spending, like the guys you listed, will never get the remainder of congress to go along enough to make meaningful cuts. That's why it never goes anywhere but up on spending. Most of congress is full of Statists that absolutely love government. We'll never get off the welfare/warfare state because of it. We are, in essence, doomed when it comes to economics. It's like pandora's box. Once you open it up, there is no closing it back in. That's why we should have been more prudent BEFORE now.

The last time government gave up power voluntarily in the history of government was never. So bare that in mind.

The people in DC are there because we sent them there. We have the power to make them do what we want. We have the power of the polling place, but we have to get together and use it.

LOL

And anything is possible all you have to do is believe.

I love how the cons so far are just ignoring the debt tax cuts have created.

I honestly believe that the tripling of welfare from food stamps to ssd was a weakening of standards that leads directly back to the president. The house or senate didn't do it, right? Obama also weakened the work requirement.

If he hadn't done this we wouldn't be debating rather we should defund science and r&d programs. So this makes me kind of angry at Obama.

Rand Paul is the only one I would even think of believing on that list. I think Ted Cruz is pretty clear he thinks we need to police the world. That ain't cheap.

I don't think we need to police the world, but I don't think we need to withdraw from it either.

But where real budget cuts fall apart (imho) is when people link it to re-defining the role of government. They want to cut the things they think government shouldn't be doing and not cut THEIR favorite programs. The other side proposes exactly the opposite in cuts and protected funding.

My proposal is 10% across the board. Every department - no exceptions.

And then we'll go from there.

I would cut 33% across the board--all agencies, all programs, all govt employees, all govt salaries. No one would notice and everying would run smoother.

OK, tell ya what. I'll agree to start with 15% and then kick it to 33% after a year of seeing how it is going.

I want to do it that way because I feel certain that bureaucrats will not trim waste - they will trim service in order to try to protect their turf and punish us for ever entertaining the idea of cutting their budget.

We're gonna have to get rid of those fools. We can jettison them after the round of 15% when they show their colors. THEN, when we have people in place who are serving the people and not their turf, we can dig deeper.

Deal?

I honestly believe that the tripling of welfare from food stamps to ssd was a weakening of standards that leads directly back to the president. The house or senate didn't do it, right? Obama also weakened the work requirement.

If he hadn't done this we wouldn't be debating rather we should defund science and r&d programs. So this makes me kind of angry at Obama.

What? He tripled food stamps? I would like to see proof of that.

I am not disputing this. You are right. However it is important to realize that Obama is spending at the same rate Bush was at the end of his term.

Interesting seeing as most on the left on this board see Bush as the worst in Modern history and Obama as the best in modern history.

Got it.

I for one am no fan of either. For me Clinton was the best modern president. We did get a balanced budget after all. He had flaws and certainly didn't do it all on his own, but bottom line is it got done while he was president.

Yes. Clinton was a great President....during his second 4 years. He tried to lean left, but his intelligence made him realize that the middle is what the country needed. If he was afforded a 3rd term, he had my vote. And Hillary may have had mine as well in 2008 if she won the porimaries....as a conservative, I believe the worst things we can have as President is a devout conservative or a far left liberal.

I sort of hoped Obama would do the same....but heck...he has doubled down on his first term failures. Did you see his nominee for Surgeon General? No offense....but you cant have anyone with such strong sentiments on a NON MEDICAL social issue take over as the chief surgeon.

Unless, of course, Obama does not believe there are other well qualified directors of Surgery in the country.

Got it.

Lol it isn't just big spending that makes Bush the worst president.

And no, I don't think Obama is the best.

it is not just the debt that people say "Bush did the same thing" to.

It is the excuse given for EVERY questionable move.

I love how the cons so far are just ignoring the debt tax cuts have created.

Tax cuts don't create debt. Spending does

You are wrong and always will be wrong. Tax cutting and over spending amount the same thing.

Got news for you...

Both theories have credence.

Trickle down works in a certain economic climate and trickle up works in the right economic climate.

Anyone who says otherwise has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

It takes money out of the overall pot to give tax breaks...= adding to debt.

So when you take 20% of 100 of something and give it back = less money within your pot(governments). Not saying it it doesn't allow businesses and consumers to have more money within the economy to spend. Not saying it isn't good.

I don't think we need to police the world, but I don't think we need to withdraw from it either.

But where real budget cuts fall apart (imho) is when people link it to re-defining the role of government. They want to cut the things they think government shouldn't be doing and not cut THEIR favorite programs. The other side proposes exactly the opposite in cuts and protected funding.

My proposal is 10% across the board. Every department - no exceptions.

And then we'll go from there.

I would cut 33% across the board--all agencies, all programs, all govt employees, all govt salaries. No one would notice and everying would run smoother.

33% on everything. Good god. You obviously do not understand what our government's expenses even are. The major cuts need to go to defense spending.

I would cut defense--33%. I would cut all entitlement payments 33%. If your SS check it now $1000, I would cut it to $667. If you are getting $100 in food stamps I would cut it to $67, same with all welfare payments, the park service, congressional salaries, congressional allowances and travel, the white house budget, the POTUS salary---------everything.

we cannot continue spending $1000 for every $600 that we take in. It has to stop.

Tax cuts don't create debt. Spending does

You are wrong and always will be wrong. Tax cutting and over spending amount the same thing.

Got news for you...

Both theories have credence.

Trickle down works in a certain economic climate and trickle up works in the right economic climate.

Anyone who says otherwise has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Bingo!

Economics works in both directions as suppliers need a good consumer base and the supplier needs to make a profit!

Here is a no bullshit assessment about what exactly the debt under Obama is composed of. As you can see Obama's biggest expenses were his TAX CUTS and defense spending.

President Barack Obama - The second largest contributor to the debt dollar-wise was President Obama. He added $4.8 trillion, a 41% increase, in just one term. Obama's budgets included the economic stimulus package, which added $787 billion by cutting taxes, extending unemployment benefits, and funding job-creating public works projects. The Obama tax cuts added $858 billion to the debt over two years. Obama's budget included increased defense spending to around $800 billion a year. Federal income was down, thanks to lower tax receipts from the 2008 financial crisis.

Both Presidents Bush and Obama had to contend with higher mandatory mandatory spending for Social Security and Medicare. He also sponsored the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was designed to reduce the debt by $143 billion over 10 years. However, these savings didn't show up until the later years.

US Debt by President

Of course, all this being said, I do agree Obama has spent too much on defense and he shouldn't have extended Bush's tax cuts. My point is that Repubs are ignorant about what exactly Obama's expenses are.

I don't want to whine, but I'm damn pissed off over the debt under W and Obama. And I'm not real giddy about a new entitlement, though I admit the uninsured was a hemorrhaging (-: problem

Last edited:
It takes money out of the overall pot to give tax breaks...= adding to debt.

So when you take 20% of 100 of something and give it back = less money within your pot(governments). Not saying it it doesn't allow businesses and consumers to have more money within the economy to spend. Not saying it isn't good.

you have it completely backwards. leaving money in the economy rather than the govt taking it will grow the economy.

33% on everything. Good god. You obviously do not understand what our government's expenses even are. The major cuts need to go to defense spending.

I would cut defense--33%. I would cut all entitlement payments 33%. If your SS check it now $1000, I would cut it to $667. If you are getting $100 in food stamps I would cut it to $67, same with all welfare payments, the park service, congressional salaries, congressional allowances and travel, the white house budget, the POTUS salary---------everything.

we cannot continue spending $1000 for every $600 that we take in. It has to stop.

Why 33%? Who are you to decide that and not economists?

Forum List

Back