Why Space Travel ?

I have always been an opponent of sending rockets into space, especially when tax $$ are being used. I still just don't see the point,or benefit to mankind.

Can anyne cite anything worthwhile that came from the trip to the moon, that coudn't have been obtained anyway, without that space travel ? Or from any of the space endeavours since then ?

I can think of 2 results from these >> 17 dead astronauts, and Billions of $$$ wasted.

View attachment 175611 View attachment 175612
images
Omg!

1. The things we learn
2. This planet won’t last forever. Are you saying we are stuck here? Doomed the next time a meteor comes or when Kim jung snaps? Or when life can no longer survive we’re done?
3. scientist believe we’d already be on mars if we never fought ww1 ww2 Korea Vietnam Iraq and Afghanistan and instead sunk the money into space travel. Do you know all the resources on mars? Or that the meteor belt is closer to mars.

It’s funny you think of space as the waste of time but not military. That not thinking long term

So "gimme gimme gimme".

Got it.
Better than waste, waste, waste.

If it makes you feel better, I'd rather see the money go to animal shelters or sick children.

"As a fraction of your tax dollar today, what is the total cost of all spaceborne telescopes, planetary probes, the rovers on Mars, the International Space Station, the space shuttle, telescopes yet to orbit, and missions yet to fly?' Answer: one-half of one percent of each tax dollar. Half a penny. I’d prefer it were more: perhaps two cents on the dollar. Even during the storied Apollo era, peak NASA spending amounted to little more than four cents on the tax dollar." — From Space Chronicles (pub 2012)

I have always been an opponent of sending rockets into space, especially when tax $$ are being used. I still just don't see the point,or benefit to mankind.

Can anyne cite anything worthwhile that came from the trip to the moon, that coudn't have been obtained anyway, without that space travel ? Or from any of the space endeavours since then ?

I can think of 2 results from these >> 17 dead astronauts, and Billions of $$$ wasted.

images
Omg!

1. The things we learn
2. This planet won’t last forever. Are you saying we are stuck here? Doomed the next time a meteor comes or when Kim jung snaps? Or when life can no longer survive we’re done?
3. scientist believe we’d already be on mars if we never fought ww1 ww2 Korea Vietnam Iraq and Afghanistan and instead sunk the money into space travel. Do you know all the resources on mars? Or that the meteor belt is closer to mars.

It’s funny you think of space as the waste of time but not military. That not thinking long term

Personally? I believe that there is a secret "break away civilization" space program that has used back engineered alien technology starting back even before Roswell . There has been too many advances in technology (being that I work in electronics) that leads me to believe otherwise. NASA was created to siphon off money for the Groom Lake/Area 51 projects.........IMHO. They have IC chips now that can fit inside the dimple of a golf ball that can power a laptop computer. I worked on printed circuit boards for years going from single layer "through put" boards to working on multi-layered circuit boards with transistors, caps, resistors and ICs (integrated circuits) that were so small that it required a lighted magnifying glass to remove them and soon it became cheaper to trash PCBs than spend the time to repair them.

Due to my reading and my researching, the military industrial complex is anywhere from 50 to 100 years ahead of what we are allowed to have or know about. When technology becomes obsolete, they release it to their corporate entities for profit because they no longer need it because of advanced technology. It may sound crazy but I stand by what I say being that I have worked in electronics for over 30 years.

images
Omg!

1. The things we learn

Personally? I believe that there is a secret "break away civilization" space program that has used back engineered alien technology starting back even before Roswell . There has been too many advances in technology (being that I work in electronics) that leads me to believe otherwise. NASA was created to siphon off money for the Groom Lake/Area 51 projects.........IMHO. They have IC chips now that can fit inside the dimple of a golf ball that can power a laptop computer. I worked on printed circuit boards for years going from single layer "through put" boards to working on multi-layered circuit boards with transistors, caps, resistors and ICs (integrated circuits) that were so small that it required a lighted magnifying glass to remove them and soon it became cheaper to trash PCBs than spend the time to repair them.

Due to my reading and my researching, the military industrial complex is anywhere from 50 to 100 years ahead of what we are allowed to have or know about. When technology becomes obsolete, they release it to their corporate entities for profit because they no longer need it because of advanced technology. It may sound crazy but I stand by what I say being that I have worked in electronics for over 30 years.
I hope so. It doesn’t matter to me if only the richest survive this planet. I’ll be long gone and you can’t save everyone. We all got to die sometime. As long as the human species lives on

images

Simple, this planet is way too exposed to asteroids that can wipe out civilization, or all life depending on the size of it. Space travel, and more importantly the conquering of space, will allow mankind to survive in the event of a asteroid strike. With enough time, we can prevent the hit, but only if we have a viable space program.

That is why it is proper for tax dollars to be spent on it. The very survival of mankind depends on it.

images

Simple, this planet is way to exposed to asteroids that can wipe out civilization, or all life depending on the size of it. Space travel, and more importantly the conquering of space, will allow mankind to survive in the event of a asteroid strike. With enough time, we can prevent the hit, but only if we have a viable space program.

That is why it is proper for tax dollars to be spent on it. The very survival of mankind depends on it.
I forgot about that reason. Even if all we had was a simple space station near to earth where humans could survive an asteroid or nuclear war. How long would we need to give the planet before it was safe to go back?

Or let’s say we colonized mars. We’d have back up people. These wouldn’t be rich people. They might be prisoners. Like australians

images

Simple, this planet is way to exposed to asteroids that can wipe out civilization, or all life depending on the size of it. Space travel, and more importantly the conquering of space, will allow mankind to survive in the event of a asteroid strike. With enough time, we can prevent the hit, but only if we have a viable space program.

I forgot about that reason. Even if all we had was a simple space station near to earth where humans could survive an asteroid or nuclear war. How long would we need to give the planet before it was safe to go back?

Or let’s say we colonized mars. We’d have back up people. These wouldn’t be rich people. They might be prisoners. Like australians

Depending on the size of the asteroid it could be decades before the planet was habitable again. Most likely it would only be a few years, but a few years of nuclear winter type weather and most life is toast. Far better to prevent the hit in the first place.

images
Omg!

1. The things we learn

I hope so. It doesn’t matter to me if only the richest survive this planet. I’ll be long gone and you can’t save everyone. We all got to die sometime. As long as the human species lives on

Perhaps, but I would rather have someone like you representing humanity than the rich POS that sold us out for the "golden ticket".

images

Depending on the size of the asteroid it could be decades before the planet was habitable again. Most likely it would only be a few years, but a few years of nuclear winter type weather and most life is toast. Far better to prevent the hit in the first place.
Of course. And we may not be able to last a decade in space.

I think the earth would rebound. We would have to eat greens cockroaches deep sea fish and rats

images

I think the earth would rebound. We would have to eat greens cockroaches deep sea fish and rats

Of course the Earth would rebound. But would there be advanced life on it afterwards? That is the question.

images
Omg!

1. The things we learn

Perhaps, but I would rather have someone like you representing humanity than the rich POS that sold us out for the "golden ticket".
Thanks. But whoever carries the torch is going to have to work and be smart. And that money ain’t gonna do them any good anymore.

I would love to start over again. Half day fridays, free healthcare, retire at 50, different prison system designed to reform, higher minimum wage cap on greed, work to live not live to work, only hunting guns, no organized religion and go green!

images
Omg!

1. The things we learn

Thanks. But whoever carries the torch is going to have to work and be smart. And that money ain’t gonna do them any good anymore.

I would love to start over again. Half day fridays, free healthcare, retire at 50, different prison system designed to reform, higher minimum wage cap on greed, work to live not live to work, only hunting guns, no organized religion and go green!

Good luck with that. The problem with "sustainable" living, is in the event of a disaster, you die. The whole point about growing and building more than you need, is so that some of it survives whatever disaster happens. History is filled with failed sustainable civilizations.

images

Of course the Earth would rebound. But would there be advanced life on it afterwards? That is the question.
No you and 19 others would be on the space station. You need to impregnate all 10 of those women or as many different ones as you can to avoid inbreeding.

If it were the seven pictured above. 5 guys and 2 women those women would be very important to the survival of the race. Hopefully each woman would have 5 kids. Hopefully not all boys. Lol

No you and 19 others would be on the space station. You need to impregnate all 10 of those women or as many different ones as you can to avoid inbreeding.

If it were the seven pictured above. 5 guys and 2 women those women would be very important to the survival of the race. Hopefully each woman would have 5 kids. Hopefully not all boys. Lol

Yeah, no! I'm 70, having that much sex would kill me. Heck of a nice way to go though.... I will admit that!

Omg!

1. The things we learn

Good luck with that. The problem with "sustainable" living, is in the event of a disaster, you die. The whole point about growing and building more than you need, is so that some of it survives whatever disaster happens. History is filled with failed sustainable civilizations.
We would use common sense.

Put it this way. We wouldn’t run out of oil before we started thinking about alternative sources.

But like someone said they have technology we don’t even know about

Yeah, no! I'm 70, having that much sex would kill me. Heck of a nice way to go though.... I will admit that!
You could just jerk in a cup to the golden girls then.

As long as you’re not one of the two ladies we’re good.

"Mr. Columbus what foolishness you and your crew embark on. You will sail off the edge of the Earth. What a waste of money and time; you will all die."
"You might be right sir, but the only way to be sure is to go and see for ourselves. Please stay here, where it's safe."

When I heard the learn’d astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.
- Walt Whitman -

“I’m coming back in… and it’s the saddest moment of my life.”
- Ed White expresses his sorrow at the conclusion of the first American spacewalk during the Gemini 4 mission on 3 June 1965. -

“From out there on the Moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch.’”
- Edgar Mitchel, Apollo 14 astronaut, speaking in People magazine on 8 April 1974 -

“It’s a fixer-upper of a planet but we could make it work.”
- Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX, speaking in May 2013 about the possibility of humans eventually settling on Mars -

Last edited:
"Mr. Columbus what foolishness you and your crew embark on. You will sail off the edge of the Earth. What a waste of money and time; you will all die."
"You might be right sir, but the only way to be sure is to go and see for ourselves. Please stay here, where it's safe."

When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
- Walt Whitman -

“From out there on the Moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch.’”
- Edgar Mitchel, Apollo 14 astronaut, speaking in People magazine on 8 April 1974 -

- Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX, speaking in May 2013 about the possibility of humans eventually settling on Mars -

Mars doesn't have enough mass to retain an atmosphere so terraforming it would be a waste. But, building a base on Phobos or Deimos to support asteroid belt mining, that would be a good thing.

- Walt Whitman -

Mars doesn't have enough mass to retain an atmosphere so terraforming it would be a waste. But, building a base on Phobos or Deimos to support asteroid belt mining, that would be a good thing.
For some reason they want to put those bubbles on mars. The ones humans can live in. Domes? Whatever they call them.

Can we terraform Phobos or Deimos? I’ll check them out

Forum List

Back