Why stop at free college?

I love teasing you lass. Because you totally flip on issues if were talking about the military.

I'm a Navy brat, I know the struggles and sacrifices families go through so yeah I'll stand for them every time. Here is a thought, want a college education get off your ass, enlist and earn one. How's that?

Oh yeah? Hey what's your feeling about gov workers and the benefits they earn? . Say teachers???

What about them? Did they defend this nation? Nope, bad analogy

No they only deal with educating out youth.

You're off on some tangent that in no way deals with my comment. Silliness is just silliness

What tangent? We haven't had a draft in 40 years so everyone in the military signed up for the job . They are gov employees just like everyone else .

You have no problem shitting all over gov employees but you flip on the military because YOU came from a military family .

I'm a Navy brat, I know the struggles and sacrifices families go through so yeah I'll stand for them every time. Here is a thought, want a college education get off your ass, enlist and earn one. How's that?

Oh yeah? Hey what's your feeling about gov workers and the benefits they earn? . Say teachers???

You're off on some tangent that in no way deals with my comment. Silliness is just silliness

What tangent? We haven't had a draft in 40 years so everyone in the military signed up for the job . They are gov employees just like everyone else .

You have no problem shitting all over gov employees but you flip on the military because YOU came from a military family .

The GI bill is a benefit earned. Just don't go there and if you want to go to college on a GI Bill...enlist, do your service and then go to college. It's just that simple

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of the redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn’t even have time for a boyfriend, and didn’t really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, “How is your friend Audrey doing?” She replied, “Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She’s always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn’t even show up for classes because she’s too hung over.”

Her wise father asked his daughter, “Why don’t you go to the Dean’s office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.”

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father’s suggestion, angrily fired back, “That wouldn’t be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I’ve invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!”

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, “Welcome to the Republican party.”

The GI bill is a benefit earned. Just don't go there and if you want to go to college on a GI Bill...enlist, do your service and then go to college. It's just that simple

Under the original Constitution (1787-1935) Congress had the specifically enumerated authority to raise armies. Did that authorize Congress to incentivize by providing benefits like the GI Bill?

I don't see why not.

Should we charge people to go to high schools ?
proof that you dont work.
There is this thing called a property tax....

Don't work? Lol. I earn a paycheck, own a home, and commute to work. Guys like me get taxed more than anybody .
why would you ask if people wanted to pay for high school then? we already do pay it, through our taxes.

If you ask nicely, I will explain why what you are saying is helping to make Timmy's point.

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of the redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn’t even have time for a boyfriend, and didn’t really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, “How is your friend Audrey doing?” She replied, “Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She’s always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn’t even show up for classes because she’s too hung over.”

Her wise father asked his daughter, “Why don’t you go to the Dean’s office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.”

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father’s suggestion, angrily fired back, “That wouldn’t be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I’ve invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!”

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, “Welcome to the Republican party.”

Wow! You posted a copy of a nutbag chain email and then glowed with pride.

Well, my friend, you have claimed that I am begging for others to pay for my kids' education. That led me to believe that you think I'm unable to do so. So....I asked what you believed my financial situation to be. It's simple.

It seems as though you don't want to pursue that line of discussion further. Maybe you'll refrain from making retarded comments like that in future.

As long as you continue to preach that someone should foot the bill for someone else for a college education, healthcare, or anything else, I will continue to accuse you of begging. Suck it up.
But wait....there's more

Someone is footing the bill for police, fire protection, roads, clean water, safe food and drugs

We are indeed a nation of freeloaders

Apples and oranges. Yes, the public does fund things that benefit most if not all the public. We all eat, we all use drugs of some kind, we all use roads and need the police and fire departments.

We all don't need college. Since college only benefits those that attend college, it shouldn't be funded by the public. It should be funded by the individuals it does benefit.
Many, many people don't have children but are still taxed for schools

Since schools only benefit those with children, it shouldn't be funded by the public

I agree with that as well. Or at the very least, have parents pay a much higher property tax than those of us without children in school.

That property tax is on you all your life. I haven't had a kid in public school in years. I do have grandchildren in public schools though. I do get the Homestead Exemption and another little exemption for being over 65. They came along some years ago and sold us on voting in a state lottery. They told us the lottery would solve all the problems within the public school system. They have signs up all along the Interstate that indicates how many millions of dollars the lottery has generated for the public schools. The school are still shitty. The teachers got a big raise. The administrators got a big raise. The Teacher's union is one of the best deals around. The teachers have volunteer assistants and are always off on one holiday or another and have more sick and vacation leave than the members of Congress have. It's almost impossible to fire one of them even for poor performance. The number of school system employees have grown astronomically. The students continue to score low on their tests. More government growth. Waste and abuse.

You're the one who said people join the military for themselves and nothing else.

I guess we should get rid of the G.I. Bill while we are at it too. I mean what's the point of paying for their college education? Right?

GI bills are earned...don't even go there
I love teasing you lass. Because you totally flip on issues if were talking about the military.

Overpaid and incompetent.

Don't work? Lol. I earn a paycheck, own a home, and commute to work. Guys like me get taxed more than anybody .
why would you ask if people wanted to pay for high school then? we already do pay it, through our taxes.

If you ask nicely, I will explain why what you are saying is helping to make Timmy's point.
and if you ask really nicely I will explain why you are a retard.

As long as you continue to preach that someone should foot the bill for someone else for a college education, healthcare, or anything else, I will continue to accuse you of begging. Suck it up.
But wait....there's more

Someone is footing the bill for police, fire protection, roads, clean water, safe food and drugs

Apples and oranges. Yes, the public does fund things that benefit most if not all the public. We all eat, we all use drugs of some kind, we all use roads and need the police and fire departments.

We all don't need college. Since college only benefits those that attend college, it shouldn't be funded by the public. It should be funded by the individuals it does benefit.
Many, many people don't have children but are still taxed for schools

Since schools only benefit those with children, it shouldn't be funded by the public

I agree with that as well. Or at the very least, have parents pay a much higher property tax than those of us without children in school.
And those who live in safe neighborhoods should not have to pay for increased police for those in high crime neighborhoods

Many neighborhoods protect themselves by organizing neighborhood watch programs. These citizens have succeeded in clearing their neighborhoods of gangs and drug pushers. They are to be commended.

Nutbags are just never eager to learn. Tsk tsk tsk.

Who do you work for?
why must you open this up? Hes a liberal, you know he will come back with some really high paid important job, or that he owns a business with a billion employees who all make a million or more a year because he is so generous.
The truth that he sweeps the barber shop floor on friday nights is not ever going to be revealed

Who do you work for?
why must you open this up? Hes a liberal, you know he will come back with some really high paid important job, or that he owns a business with a billion employees who all make a million or more a year because he is so generous.
The truth that he sweeps the barber shop floor on friday nights is not ever going to be revealed
I think the truth is that he's a government employee. In other words, he's worse than a useless tick on the ass of society.

If that is something that you find valuable, please do. It's kind of stupid in the face of reality, though.

Let's say that I am a self interested small business owner who's got no problem sending my kids through college. What possible reasons could I have for wanting our federal government to ensure that every American young person attains the highest level of education which their personal strengths will allow them to attain?

Can you imagine why I would gladly participate in such an endeavor?

I would certainly expect you to as long as it was paid for by someone other than you against that individual's will.

You are not making an attempt to have a mature discussion here, are you? Let me try again.

I am perfectly fine with a portion of my tax dollars being used to subsidize the cost of higher education.....both academic and vocational....so that no American young person who desires said education is denied due to inability to pay.

Do you understand this time? We are talking about my hard earned money here.....as well as yours. Granted......you earned yours when it was much easier.....but I won't hold that against you.

Now....given that you have grasped the concept, why would I be willing to have my tax dollars spent in such a way? Have you any thoughts on that?

Then just go out and pick a young person and send him/her to college yourself. Put your money where your mouth is but don't impose your view that some other citizen should do the same. You have no right to dictate how my hard earned money is spent. Just because you may bbe fine with it does not mean everyone else is fine with it.
I agree

And if you supported the Iraq war you should have just gone and fought it yourself

Well, whether you supported the Iraq War or not, the Constitution does assign the responsibility of providing for the national defense to the federal government. I fought in the Viet Nam War thank you.

Nutbags are just never eager to learn. Tsk tsk tsk.

That explains your ignorance.

Who do you work for?
I think the truth is that he's a government employee. In other words, he's worse than a useless tick on the ass of society.
having spent the last 10 years of my IT profession as a government employee,,,
I have to agree with you. I was overpaid, had no consequences for not completing projects on time, was able to keep the internet up most of the day.
I think its part of the reason I said the hell with it and quit.
I left a job that paid really really well and am now back in college while working at a mental facility counseling and monitoring medications for the patients for next to nothing. (see? I can admit I dont make shit) but it is so much more rewarding to be in a position to help someone that wants help than it was to be in a position that was just there to generate income.

Who do you work for?
having spent the last 10 years of my IT profession as a government employee,,,
I have to agree with you. I was overpaid, had no consequences for not completing projects on time, was able to keep the internet up most of the day.
I think its part of the reason I said the hell with it and quit.
I left a job that paid really really well and am now back in college while working at a mental facility counseling and monitoring medications for the patients for next to nothing. (see? I can admit I dont make shit) but it is so much more rewarding to be in a position to help someone that wants help than it was to be in a position that was just there to generate income.

I'm an IT professional, and I've worked on a few government projects. I see how government employees "work." Your description is far too flattering. I've seen government employees sleeping at their desks. I've seen others that had computer games on their screens every minute of every working hour. But it would be worse if they actually did their jobs. That would just mean more government oppression.

You must admit yourself that is exactly what you are on here preaching. Those who have assumed their responsibility are not preaching what you preach. Suck it up.

Once again, what is your perception of my financial situation and the status of my kids? I'd like to know who you believe you are communicating with.

Please explain to me exactly why you believe I actually give a rat's ass as to your financial situation? I'm not begging you for any of your money.

View attachment 64158

Well, my friend, you have claimed that I am begging for others to pay for my kids' education. That led me to believe that you think I'm unable to do so. So....I asked what you believed my financial situation to be. It's simple.

It seems as though you don't want to pursue that line of discussion further. Maybe you'll refrain from making retarded comments like that in future.

But wait....there's more

I pay local taxes for those functions, which I avail myself of on a regular basis. Sending someone else's kids to free who do not merit such consideration is what I do not support.

Forum List

Back