Why was a confirmed Ebola patient even admitted through border control into the USA?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Finding it odd a confirmed Ebola patient was brought directly in to the US, I looked around at Immigration regulations governing such things:

"Stopping ill travelers from boarding aircraft

People who have been exposed to Ebola virus disease should not travel on commercial airplanes until there is a period of monitoring for symptoms of illness lasting 21 days after exposure. Sick travelers should delay travel until cleared to travel by a doctor or public health authority.

Airlines should consider using their own authority (for US airlines, Federal Register [PDF - 74 pages], Department of Transportation 14 CFR Part 382) to deny boarding of sick travelers if Ebola is suspected."
Ebola Guidance for Airlines | Quarantine | CDC

"INA: ACT 212 - GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION; WAIVERS OF INADMISSIBILLITY

Sec. 212. [8 U.S.C. 1182]

(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise provided in this Act, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United States:

(1) Health-related grounds.-

(A) In general.-Any alien-

(i) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to have a communicable disease of public health significance; 1b

(ii) 1 except as provided in subparagraph (C) 1a who seeks admission as an immigrant, or who seeks adjustment of status to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, and who has failed to present documentation of having received vaccination against vaccine-preventable diseases, which shall include at least the following diseases: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus and diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza type B and hepatitis B, and any other vaccinations against vaccine-preventable diseases recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices, "
ilink | USCIS

Though he was an American citizen, surely something akin to these would apply? If not, why not?

Some theories off the top of my head as to why include:

-Germ warfare researchers wanted a sample of this strain of the virus to check feasibility for weaponization.
-Big pharma wanted to use him as a guinea pig for their untested treatments
-Being part of an organization mixed up with Christian politics, some backroom deals and pay-offs got him 'waved in.'

Any amount of logic at all says he should have stayed right where he was and any treatment brought to him, not him brought onto US soil.

I started having dreams...
I'm not ready to say at this point if it was about the walking dude and Vegas
or an old lady with a guitar and Colo raaaaa do just yet...

But I am ready to say that this freaks me out a bit.
A nasty disease that has never been here before!!!
Could this mutate?

Both are Americans, and America desires knowledge abiut the disease, obviously.

Could this mutate?

My brother and his wife just got back from vacation and they went to King's house. Wasn't home unfortunately, but I hear ya. :)

Could this mutate?

It has, in Virginia, and yes mutates, though as pointed out, very unlikely to mutate and become airborne.

RESTON EBOLA was first seen in Reston, Va.

Coulda gotten that in Africa. Lots of patients to study there I hear. No reason to risk infection here bringing the patients here. SOP studying these things is ya go to the source, you don't bring the source back home.

it was an American doctor

but yea, he never should have been allowed to bring it here.

considering it would have required the governments clearance....

hate to sound like a paranoid tin hatter, but only bad things can happen

Reading about it on cdc.gov there's like half a dozen known variants of ebola. And even more ebola-like things.

This is like an episode of X-Files. Government swoops in and grabs a patient, puts them in an isolation ward and God only knows what happens next.

Coulda gotten that in Africa. Lots of patients to study there I hear. No reason to risk infection here bringing the patients here. SOP studying these things is ya go to the source, you don't bring the source back home.

These are AMERICANs, immigration law does not apply.

So the US should never allowed those with malaria to return, like my father, a US miltaryman? Thank God there was no "rule" then.

These are AMERICANs, immigration law does not apply.

I acknowledged they're Americans in the OP. But spending all evening reading Federal Law wasn't appealing so I used what I could find instantly. :)

The best of Americans should be abandoned, gotcha. Something scary could happen, like more knowledge of filoviruses, better treatments, perhaps vaccines....why would the US want that?:eusa_whistle:

The best of Americans should be abandoned, gotcha. Something scary could happen, like more knowledge of filoviruses, better treatments, perhaps vaccines....why would the US want that?:eusa_whistle:

310+ million Americans > 2 'exceptional' people.

Got lots more exceptional people right here already. Why risk them for two people when everything that can be done for them can be brought over to them?

Hey, could be worse. Coulda just said they should have been shot over in Africa. At least I say treat em, but bring the treatment there, not the disease here. :)

If the point is really to come up with a cure, that could have been better done on location with hundreds of eager volunteers half of which would die anyway than just on two back home.

When dealing with lethal stuff like this you can't extend compassion like Mother Theresa. Sometimes cold unflinching decisions have to be made so you don't write off half your country.

Last edited:

Got lots more exceptional people right here already. Why risk them for two people when everything that can be done for them can be brought over to them?

Somewhere in the USA is a virus, not yet discovered, 50/50 chance just as deadly. Many would rather have a chance at stopping that one than pretend the US is on another planet.

Finding it odd a confirmed Ebola patient was brought directly in to the US, I looked around at Immigration regulations governing such things:

Though he was an American citizen, surely something akin to these would apply? If not, why not?

I was going to answer your question but apparently you already know the answer.

So what was the point of all the shit in between?

I was going to answer your question but apparently you already know the answer.

So what was the point of all the shit in between?

Heh. Never know, I like to think I'm occasionally wrong. :)

So the US should never allowed those with malaria to return, like my father, a US miltaryman? Thank God there was no "rule" then.

is malaria contagious?

MALARIA.com - Is Malaria Contagious Between Humans?
no

Is ebola contagious?
Ebola virus disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yes

so that's not a proper comparison

Somewhere in the USA is a virus, not yet discovered, 50/50 chance just as deadly. Many would rather have a chance at stopping that one than pretend the US is on another planet.

Difference being we knew ebola was here, we knew it has no treatment or cure, and we knew it had a 50% mortality rate in a really gruesome way (bleeding from every orifice and pore.)

We can't game out complete unknowns and hypotheticals. But we have gamed this out. You just don't bring infected people into the country if you don't have to. And we didn't have to. So something's amiss.

Forum List

Back