Will Killers or Gang Bangers follow gun control laws?

Will gun control laws keep criminals from obtaining guns?

• Total voters
maybe they would have found this for the florida shooter.

Mental health agency examined Cruz in 2016, didn't hospitalize him

See above^^ (post 139)

laws only work when they are followed........not just by the people, but the organizations that impact them.
Your question was how would additional background checks have stopped the shooter? Since were are using an if scenario then we can say if everyone had done their job correctly.

If everyone had reported as they should have, it would have shown up on a current check.......including the local cops arresting him for threats made. It's also up to the local jurisdiction to allow/deny the final sale
That may be true but its not certain if the databases are not connected. What they need is a national system that can query a central database.

And that was the failure of the FBI......if he had been arrested, it would have shown on FBI, thereby stopping his purchase.
I agree if we could prove the FBI would have had something to arrest him on.

Your question was how would additional background checks have stopped the shooter? Since were are using an if scenario then we can say if everyone had done their job correctly.

If everyone had reported as they should have, it would have shown up on a current check.......including the local cops arresting him for threats made. It's also up to the local jurisdiction to allow/deny the final sale
That may be true but its not certain if the databases are not connected. What they need is a national system that can query a central database.

And that was the failure of the FBI......if he had been arrested, it would have shown on FBI, thereby stopping his purchase.
Arrested on what grounds though? That is the problem.

No it isn't........people are arrested everyday for making violent threats, such as this. Do a search for people arrested for threatening a mass shooting or the like.
They couldnt find out who he was from my understanding. The process they go through is based on risk assessment. They had no way of assessing him because they were unable to determine his identity.

See above^^ (post 139)

laws only work when they are followed........not just by the people, but the organizations that impact them.

No........if the local police had arrested him it would show up on the current check system. Plus the fact the FBI was aware of the threats he'd made on social media back in September to be a professional school shooter, then again in January

No........if the local police had arrested him it would show up on the current check system. Plus the fact the FBI was aware of the threats he'd made on social media back in September to be a professional school shooter, then again in January
The local police never knew about the threats from my understanding.

No it isn't........people are arrested everyday for making violent threats, such as this. Do a search for people arrested for threatening a mass shooting or the like.
They couldnt find out who he was from my understanding. The process they go through is based on risk assessment. They had no way of assessing him because they were unable to determine his identity.

Who? The local cops? They had been to his house 39 times in 7 years......they knew who he was.

Who? The local cops? They had been to his house 39 times in 7 years......they knew who he was.
No the FBI. They knew about the threat. The cops didnt know about the threat.

Everyone else knew about it......why wouldn't the local cops know?

The school, including the 'resource officer' knew all about this kid.......both of them have to report to someone. In my area, they report 'problem kids' to the cops. That onsite officer has to report to his authorities/commanding officer.

The school, including the 'resource officer' knew all about this kid.......both of them have to report to someone. In my area, they report 'problem kids' to the cops. That onsite officer has to report to his authorities/commanding officer.
I am not in the know.

The resource officer knew this kid had made threats?

I am not in the know.

You're baiting me, right?

wowee that's really going to leave a mark! :2cents:

BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, said Thursday that it had heard from investors who no longer want their money associated with the firearms industry.

Companies Are Starting to Back Away From the Gun Industry and NRA

In wake of Parkland massacre, police chiefs — again — call for assault-weapons ban

Florida Gov. Rick Scott backs raising age for gun purchases to 21
Florida Gov. Rick Scott said Friday he will work to raise the minimum age for purchasing weapons in his state to 21 years old, marking his first major break from the policy priorities of the National Rifle Association.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...27a6ccb38eb_story.html?utm_term=.3e720c38705f
Companies starting to back away from the gun industry--consumers and advertisers, too--are the only way to slow this down, it seems.

I am not in the know.

You're baiting me, right?
Uuuhh No. I heard the cops had no clue he had made a threat.

But if they're guilty of a felony and can't go to Armslist or any of a dozen other sites or a gun show in around 22 states and buy from an unlicensed seller .. it will make it tougher on them to find their preferred implement of destruction.

No it won't. That's not where they have been getting them.

But if they're guilty of a felony and can't go to Armslist or any of a dozen other sites or a gun show in around 22 states and buy from an unlicensed seller .. it will make it tougher on them to find their preferred implement of destruction.

You're wrong - I'm not suggesting that is the number one place they are getting them .. but it is INDEED one of them.

How Dangerous People Evade Background Checks and Buy Illegal Guns Online

Additionally - it is a well documented fact that Columbine killers Klebold & Harris bought their killing machines at a gun show from an unlicensed dealer with no BG check.

You're wrong - I'm not suggesting that is the number one place they are getting them .. but it is INDEED one of them.

Nope.

One point that those who support additional background checks keep ignoring is the fact that many of these shootings have happened with guns obtained LEGALLY by law abiding citizens at the time of purchase. They didn't break any laws until after they got the guns.

IOW.....how would additional background checks have stopped LV shooter? Sandy Hook? Or any number of others? Even the FL shooter?

Because the background check would've revealed that Cruz had been expelled from school, posted violent threats on social media, etc.

The background checks ( as of now) dont include what needs to be put out there.
Oh I see you were expelled from school and posted violent threats on social media...here is your firearm. smh

Additionally - it is a well documented fact that Columbine killers Klebold & Harris bought their killing machines at a gun show from an unlicensed dealer with no BG check

Nope.

Oh well then that settles it! :rolleyes-41:

Additionally - it is a well documented fact that Columbine killers Klebold & Harris bought their killing machines at a gun show from an unlicensed dealer with no BG check

Nope.

Oh well then that settles it! :rolleyes-41:

Yes, it does.

Forum List

Back