Will trump be forced to use national emergency to build wall

The President can both Constitutionally and legally declare a National Emergency, and the courts can't stop him from building the Wall. ...

Uh, yeah, actually, they can. Checks and Balances... they probably should have taught you that at some point.

The National Emergency remedy is a Joint Resolution of Congress. Since the remedy exists, the courts have no basis to stop the emergency declaration, i.e. it is LAWFUL.
I see nothing about Congress here, except that the declaration be transmitted to Congress. What happens then depends on what statute the President is citing to use.

Where did you get a Joint Resolution of Congress? I am not criticizing--I am asking because I would really like to know how this happens.

National Emergencies Act, Sections 201 and 301

Fact Sheet
Overview

The National Emergencies Act (NEA) authorizes the president to declare a “national emergency.”1 A declaration under NEA triggers emergency authorities contained in other federal statutes. Past NEA declarations have addressed, among other things, the imposition of export controls and limitations on transactions and property from specified nations.2 A national emergency was declared in 2001 after the September 11th terrorist attacks and has been renewed every year since then. (Download a printable PDF.)

What the Law Does

The NEA authorizes the president to declare a national emergency, which declaration activates emergency powers contained in other federal statutes.3During the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic, the president’s declaration of a national emergency under the NEA, coupled with the HHS secretary’s prior determination of a public health emergency under Section 319 of the Public Health Service Act (PHSA), permitted the activation of Social Security Act (SSA) Section 1135 waiver authorities. (See Figure A for the text of the 2009 H1N1 NEA declaration.)

How the Law Works
The NEA does not provide any specific emergency authority on its own, but relies on emergency authorities provided in other statutes. A national emergency declaration allows for the activation of these other statutory authorities. Emergency statutory provisions are not activated automatically, however; they must be specifically identified in the president’s declaration before these authorities may be given effect.

Declaration
NEA Section 201 authorizes the president to declare a national emergency. The proclamation of a national emergency must be immediately transmitted to Congress and published in the Federal Register.1,2 Under NEA Section 301, statutory emergency authorities enabled by the national emergency declaration cannot be exercised until the president specifies the provisions of law under which the president or other officials will act. Such specification may be made either in the declaration or in subsequent Executive Orders published in theFederal Register and transmitted to Congress.

Termination
A national emergency can be terminated if the president issues a proclamation or if Congress enacts a joint resolution terminating the emergency. A national emergency will terminate automatically upon the anniversary of the proclamation unless the president renews the proclamation by transmitting notice to Congress within a 90-day period prior to the anniversary date and publishing it in the Federal Register.

National Emergencies Act, Sections 201 and 301 Fact Sheet | State Public Health | ASTHO

This is why I said that it takes a Joint Resolution of Congress to end the emergency:
Termination
A national emergency can be terminated if the president issues a proclamation or if Congress enacts a joint resolution terminating the emergency.

I will keep saying this until you fools understand:

The President cannot just declare a "national emergency" unless there is an ACTUAL national emergency. Only a dictator attempting to overthrow the democratically elected Congress would even attempt such a thing, and to do so, in light of all of the other crimes committed by Trump (i.e. conspiracy with Russia, trying to destroy NATO, undermining trading partnerships, and the results of the Mueller Investigation, and other investigations currently underway), would spell the end of the Trump Presidency, and give Mitch McConnell the excuse to impeach Trump and save his Senate mahority.

The President can both Constitutionally and legally declare a National Emergency, and the courts can't stop him from building the Wall. ...

Uh, yeah, actually, they can. Checks and Balances... they probably should have taught you that at some point.

The National Emergency remedy is a Joint Resolution of Congress. Since the remedy exists, the courts have no basis to stop the emergency declaration, i.e. it is LAWFUL.
I see nothing about Congress here, except that the declaration be transmitted to Congress. What happens then depends on what statute the President is citing to use.

Where did you get a Joint Resolution of Congress? I am not criticizing--I am asking because I would really like to know how this happens.

Fact Sheet
Overview

The National Emergencies Act (NEA) authorizes the president to declare a “national emergency.”1 A declaration under NEA triggers emergency authorities contained in other federal statutes. Past NEA declarations have addressed, among other things, the imposition of export controls and limitations on transactions and property from specified nations.2 A national emergency was declared in 2001 after the September 11th terrorist attacks and has been renewed every year since then. (Download a printable PDF.)

What the Law Does

The NEA authorizes the president to declare a national emergency, which declaration activates emergency powers contained in other federal statutes.3During the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic, the president’s declaration of a national emergency under the NEA, coupled with the HHS secretary’s prior determination of a public health emergency under Section 319 of the Public Health Service Act (PHSA), permitted the activation of Social Security Act (SSA) Section 1135 waiver authorities. (See Figure A for the text of the 2009 H1N1 NEA declaration.)

How the Law Works
The NEA does not provide any specific emergency authority on its own, but relies on emergency authorities provided in other statutes. A national emergency declaration allows for the activation of these other statutory authorities. Emergency statutory provisions are not activated automatically, however; they must be specifically identified in the president’s declaration before these authorities may be given effect.

Declaration
NEA Section 201 authorizes the president to declare a national emergency. The proclamation of a national emergency must be immediately transmitted to Congress and published in the Federal Register.1,2 Under NEA Section 301, statutory emergency authorities enabled by the national emergency declaration cannot be exercised until the president specifies the provisions of law under which the president or other officials will act. Such specification may be made either in the declaration or in subsequent Executive Orders published in theFederal Register and transmitted to Congress.

Termination
A national emergency can be terminated if the president issues a proclamation or if Congress enacts a joint resolution terminating the emergency. A national emergency will terminate automatically upon the anniversary of the proclamation unless the president renews the proclamation by transmitting notice to Congress within a 90-day period prior to the anniversary date and publishing it in the Federal Register.

National Emergencies Act, Sections 201 and 301 Fact Sheet | State Public Health | ASTHO

This is why I said that it takes a Joint Resolution of Congress to end the emergency:
Termination
A national emergency can be terminated if the president issues a proclamation or if Congress enacts a joint resolution terminating the emergency.

The President cannot just declare a "national emergency" unless there is an ACTUAL national emergency. Only a dictator attempting to overthrow the democratically elected Congress would even attempt such a thing, and to do so, in light of all of the other crimes committed by Trump (i.e. conspiracy with Russia, trying to destroy NATO, undermining trading partnerships, and the results of the Mueller Investigation, and other investigations currently underway), would spell the end of the Trump Presidency, and give Mitch McConnell the excuse to impeach Trump and save his Senate mahority.
Presidents from both parties have declared national emergencies over 500 times and this power has never been successfully challenged in a court. Since there are no conditions the President must meet other than procedural measures, it is not clear there is any basis for any court to even consider the issue.

Fact Sheet
Overview

What the Law Does

How the Law Works

Declaration

Termination

Termination

Presidents from both parties have declared national emergencies over 500 times and this power has never been successfully challenged in a court. Since there are no conditions the President must meet other than procedural measures, it is not clear there is any basis for any court to even consider the issue.

Oh really?

1952 steel strike - Wikipedia

The botox bitch Nancy and her Democrat hoard won't change and the deadline will pass without giving the American people their Wall.

So our beloved Pres.Trump will have no choice but to declare a National Emergency and have the Wall built.

Which is absolutely fine with me. ... :thup:

Unfortunately this is correct. The Dems will not negotiate in good faith in the next 3 weeks because they lack any real integrity. Trump will have to declare a national emergency in which case the SCOTUS will ultimately decide just like they did on the Obamacare mandate.

Fact Sheet
Overview

What the Law Does

How the Law Works

Declaration

Termination

Termination

Oh really?

1952 steel strike - Wikipedia
Yes, really, the Court decision was about private property, not about the President's right to declare a national emergency.

I think it will happen because democrats hate american values

I hope not. As much as I believe we need the Wall, it opens up to many opportunities for Democrats to use the power is horrible ways down the road.

If they can’t get anything done I’d rather see Trump step aside for 2020 and allow the Republican Party to find a real Conservative to run in his place.

Last edited:
I think it will happen because democrats hate american values

I hope not. As much as I believe we need the Wall, it opens up to many opportunities for Democrats to use the power is horrible ways down the road.

If they can’t get anything done I’d rather see Trumo step aside for 2020 and allow the Republican Party to find a real Conservative to run in his place.
Actually, Presidents have invoked this power to declare national emergencies over 500 times, so if President Trump invokes it to build the smart fence, it will open up nothing new.

Actually, Presidents have invoked this power to declare national emergencies over 500 times, so if President Trump invokes it to build the smart fence, it will open up nothing new.

This is a very different situation than most of the previous occasions; and I’d even suggest that the weather related declarations were improper as well.

The botox bitch Nancy and her Democrat hoard won't change and the deadline will pass without giving the American people their Wall.

So our beloved Pres.Trump will have no choice but to declare a National Emergency and have the Wall built.

Unfortunately this is correct. The Dems will not negotiate in good faith in the next 3 weeks because they lack any real integrity. Trump will have to declare a national emergency in which case the SCOTUS will ultimately decide just like they did on the Obamacare mandate.

The only thing the court can do (legally) is decide whether he used proper procedure or not. If he does (and I"m sure his team will) they really can't stop Trump because there is no definition of a national emergency--only procedural processes.

Fact Sheet
Overview

What the Law Does

How the Law Works

Declaration

Termination

Termination

The Obamacare law seemed like a dictator type thing wouldn't you agree?

And the Courts will slap him down when he tries it, assuming someone in the Justice Department doesn't talk some sense into him before he tries it.
The President can both Constitutionally and legally declare a National Emergency, and the courts can't stop him from building the Wall. ... :cool:

Actually, they can, and so can the House Speaker. The President can't usurp Congressional power to appropriate funding. The Senate isn't going to allow the reappropriation of defense funds for it either.

And it has now been exposed that he was in talks with a Russian owned company to import the steel to relax debts from loans by Russians. This story will becoming mainstream shortly, and when Mueller indicts Trump Jr. here shortly. dotard is going to have much bigger problems than the spanking he just got from Pelosi.

You mean like he's had the last two years? Keep dreaming.

According to Politifact, Trump can declare an emergency and get the money from anywhere he wants to and the Congress can't do squat about it.

The President can both Constitutionally and legally declare a National Emergency, and the courts can't stop him from building the Wall. ... :cool:

I do hope you are correct.

But I'm afraid Trump is part of the Swamp now. You are not allowed to sit as President unless you're in the Billionaires club and blessed by the Establishment. Elites run the show. Period.

Hillary lost in 2016 because the Establishment didn't want her in office at that time. The Right would have been pushed too far after the 8 years of Obama. So wisely, the Establishment threw out a bone to pacify the Right by the name of Trump. A NEW YORK DEMOCRAT.

But we're not gonna get a President who is For The People.
Ain't gonna happen in modern Amerika.

You're right. I don't think he every meant for a wall to be built he picked up steam in his campaign when he saw his base loved talk of the wall and repealing obamacare. If you look back years with Trump that is not who he was. Yep, could have changed over the years but I don't think so, it's his base and a handful of people one being Stephen Miller that is pushing him for the wall and he does care what Coulter and Rush say about him. I doubt he runs for re election and if he does will not be re elected.

He sure won't be reelected if he doesn't get the wall or try like hell to get it. So what does he have to lose?

Fact Sheet
Overview

What the Law Does

How the Law Works

Declaration

Termination

Termination

The Obamacare law seemed like a dictator type thing wouldn't you agree?
Not even a little. It went through a year of Congressional hearings and negotiation

We have a president who is for the American people first but your eyes are blinded and mind narrow and closed that you cannot see it. There is nothing more important than the national security of this country. Our very existence depends on a secure America. We cannot have that security with open borders and 20 million in the country illegally is proof and all Americans are affected. If you want to set back in your comfort zone ignoring the facts, just wait because all of that will soon disappear if Trump do not secure the border and stop illegal drugs and aliens. Because if people do not have they will take what you have.

Sorry, "your daughter might date a Mexican" is not a national crisis, no matter how much Trump tells his followers it is.

The number of undocumented immigrants levelled off at 11 million in 2010. This isn't a crisis or even really that much of a problem.

Of course it isn't.

Flesh eating bacteria found on Central America migrant in Border Patrol custody

And the Courts will slap him down when he tries it, assuming someone in the Justice Department doesn't talk some sense into him before he tries it.

A recurring and consistent theme among those against protecting Americans.......clear in many of JoeB131's posts and others like him.....is this concept.....

"The Laws and Constitution of the US expressly allow both to be used against those it was supposed to protect, and to destroy the nation"

In other words, I find it interesting that those celebrating the downfall of the USA, are using our own laws and Constitution against us by twisting it's meanings then calling those who reject the twisting "bigots", "racists" and you name it.

What kind of US Court would rule AGAINST measures that protect American interests and lives???

Wouldn't those courts have to be run by enemies of The People?

Courts don't rule based on that. Courts rule in regards to constitutionality or law. The law says a President can call a national emergency at will. Because a national emergency is not defined in the law, a court cannot rule that Trump can't use it based on what "the courts" consider an emergency. Only the President can determine what an emergency is.

The President can't declare a national emergency to flout the Constitution. There will be no wall.

As for Nancy Pelosi, she now owns Trump. She got the government re-opened and gave up nothing. Only a fool walks out of the negotiations at the first meeting.

Trump is the worst negotiator ever. You might want to rethink calling Mrs. Pelosi names. Dumb Donald is too afraid of her to do that.

The resident Canadian who is an "x-spurt" on the American Constitution chimes in with another load of ignorance. SSDD.

No one is forcing trump to declare an emergency. There is no emergency. An emergency is something that is urgent and has to be addressed immediately. It's not planned or scheduled.

If trump was going to declare an emergency he would have done it by now.

Finally democrats don't hate American values. Stop with the ridiculous lies. It's childish and people stop paying any attention to you when you spew such lame lies.

If you have to use lies how valid is your point and why should anyone pay any attention to what you post?

No one is forcing trump to declare an emergency. There is no emergency. An emergency is something that is urgent and has to be addressed immediately. It's not planned or scheduled.

If trump was going to declare an emergency he would have done it by now.

Finally democrats don't hate American values. Stop with the ridiculous lies. It's childish and people stop paying any attention to you when you spew such lame lies.

If you have to use lies how valid is your point and why should anyone pay any attention to what you post?

Trump is doing everything possible to avoid declaring an emergency, but when you have a Congress that refuses to remedy the situation, what else can he do but give up? That being said, it means Trump is irrelevant to our country and Pelosi runs it now. We can't have that.

Fact Sheet
Overview

What the Law Does

How the Law Works

Declaration

Termination

Termination

Illegals overrunning our southern border IS a national emergency. Why don't you and a few thousand of your fellow Canucks try it up north and see what happens!

Forum List

Back