With gun violence down, is America arming against an imagined threat?

Dave -

Yes.. because people cannot easily do it by stepping in front of a train, taking an overdose of easily obtained illegal drugs, jumping off a 10 story building, etc

Statistically - they don't. Probably because not everyone has a train at hand when they feel suicidal.

What we know as a plain, simple, proven fact is that more successful suicides involve guns than most other methods, and that guns feature more in US suicides than in most other countries, because the guns are so easily available.

Reduce guns - reduce sucide. Australia has actually proven this as a statistical fact.

Reduce guns, increase crime. Chicago has actually proven this fact.
With over 200M guns in circulation you are not reducing guns in any meaningful way without infringing on Americans' rights. If someone wants to attempt suicide, that is a public health and mental health problem. Treat that problem, not the tool.

Rabbi -

Ah, so now you DO think posters should back up their claims? Just a few posts ago you said posters shouldn't back up their claims!

Here it is for you:

The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 10.4, 95% confidence interval: 5.8, 18.9). Persons with guns in the home were also more likely to have died from suicide committed with a firearm than from one committed by using a different method (adjusted odds ratio = 31.1, 95% confidence interval: 19.5, 49.6).

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

A study by the Harvard School of Public Health of all 50 U.S. states reveals a powerful link between rates of firearm ownership and suicides. Based on a survey of American households conducted in 2002, HSPH Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management Matthew Miller, Research Associate Deborah Azrael, and colleagues at the School’s Injury Control Research Center (ICRC), found that in states where guns were prevalent—as in Wyoming, where 63 percent of households reported owning guns—rates of suicide were higher. The inverse was also true: where gun ownership was less common, suicide rates were also lower.

Harvard School of Public Health » HSPH News » Guns and suicide: A fatal link

Rabbi on backing up claims:

Because when you did back up the claim (and it is obviously true) he would a) demean the source, b) deflect to something unrelated, c) wimp out and never be heard from until he posted the same nonsense elsewhere.

Please back up your assertions with citations.

Rabbi -

Ah, so now you DO think posters should back up their claims? Just a few posts ago you said posters shouldn't back up their claims!

Here it is for you:

The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 10.4, 95% confidence interval: 5.8, 18.9). Persons with guns in the home were also more likely to have died from suicide committed with a firearm than from one committed by using a different method (adjusted odds ratio = 31.1, 95% confidence interval: 19.5, 49.6).

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

A study by the Harvard School of Public Health of all 50 U.S. states reveals a powerful link between rates of firearm ownership and suicides. Based on a survey of American households conducted in 2002, HSPH Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management Matthew Miller, Research Associate Deborah Azrael, and colleagues at the School’s Injury Control Research Center (ICRC), found that in states where guns were prevalent—as in Wyoming, where 63 percent of households reported owning guns—rates of suicide were higher. The inverse was also true: where gun ownership was less common, suicide rates were also lower.

Harvard School of Public Health » HSPH News » Guns and suicide: A fatal link

Correlation is not causation. This should have been simple to understand. Even for you.

Rabbi on backing up claims:

Because when you did back up the claim (and it is obviously true) he would a) demean the source, b) deflect to something unrelated, c) wimp out and never be heard from until he posted the same nonsense elsewhere.

Please back up your assertions with citations.

You are the one who asked for proof. I just apply the same standard to you that you ask from others. And you've failed. Miserably.

Rabbi -

Because when you did back up the claim (and it is obviously true) he would a) demean the source, b) deflect to something unrelated, c) wimp out and never be heard from until he posted the same nonsense elsewhere

Please take a look at the reports, and get back to us when you have read and understood them.

I already explained earlier that this is not about causation. Please read back through the thread if you need to confirm that. It is about enabling suicide.

Last edited:
What's wrong with enabling suicide? Liberals are always fighting for the right to die.

What's wrong with enabling suicide? Liberals are always fighting for the right to die.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with suicide, but any serious discussion about guns needs to take into consideration that more guns in society does mean more suicides.

A Pew study released Tuesday finds that Americans think gun violence has escalated when in reality it's way down from two decades ago. The violence has dropped, meanwhile, even as gun ownership has increased.

Mass shootings, frantic gun-buying, and more Americans legally carrying guns on the street all point to a country fighting a gun violence epidemic, right?

Not necessarily.

As part of a broader trend of declining crime, gun violence in America – while still high relative to other Western countries – has dropped by 49 percent from 1993 to 2011, while nonfatal gun crimes dropped by 69 percent, according to the US Justice Department.

This is right in line with the murder rate in Chicago. In 1993, it was close to 1000 murders for the year. Now it is around 500 and people are having fits that it is so high. Parents refuse to allow their kids to play outside unsupervised because they are afraid of stranger danger. As kids, when crime was actually much higher, we all roamed the streets playing with our friends. During the summer, I would leave the house at 8 AM and come back home for lunch, then right back out again. My mother usually knew where I was but not always, but I did stay on my block. Any further and I had to let her know. Today, mothers are afraid to let their children play in the front yard.

It's all because of perception and the fact that we hear about every crime right as it happens. With the Internet, we hear all these cases of how kids get abducted, but when you look at the odds of it happening, it is more likely that you would die in a plane crash. And we know how unlikely that is.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with suicide, but any serious discussion about guns needs to take into consideration that more guns in society does mean more suicides.

Not at all. You are assuming that a potential suicide won't commit suicide if they don't have access to a gun.

There will still be the same number of suicides, they will just use different methods.

Not at all. You are assuming that a potential suicide won't commit suicide if they don't have access to a gun.

There will still be the same number of suicides, they will just use different methods.

What he's basing this "theory" on is that when people attempt suicide they are more successful using a gun than other methods.
Of course that makes many assumptions. The biggest is that everyone who attempts suicide is intent on completing the act. That is clearly not true, as many people only want attention or whatever. So they choose longer lasting methods in the hopes of getting rescued. Restricting guns wouldn't really change that at all.
Again he tries to suggest that guns cause suicide. This is like suggesting that spoons cause obesity.

No, if I was assuming that - that is what I would have posted.

I know this is difficult for some people to grasp - but try and understand: Guns are a more efficient method of comitting suicide than almost any other.

Thus, in houses with guns, there are more suicides resulting in death.

Rabbi -

What he's basing this "theory" on is that when people attempt suicide they are more successful using a gun than other methods.
Of course that makes many assumptions. The biggest is that everyone who attempts suicide is intent on completing the act. That is clearly not true, as many people only want attention or whatever. So they choose longer lasting methods in the hopes of getting rescued. Restricting guns wouldn't really change that at all.

Yes, that is true.

However, Australia found that total deaths from sucide went down significantly as the number of guns in society fell.

Last edited:
SO you can't argue about gun related violence, so you switch over to suicides to try and make your case for gun control? :lmao:

Suicide is a victimless crime. If someone wants to leave for good that is their decision to make.

Take a Step Back -

If you are ready to explain to me why it is ok that 14,000 Americans die of gun-related homicides each year, while the equivalent number in the UK is 41 - go right ahead.

Take a Step Back -

If you are ready to explain to me why it is ok that 14,000 Americans die of gun-related homicides each year, while the equivalent number in the UK is 41 - go right ahead.

Why it is ok? It's the same level of "ok" as vehicular homicides. But I dont see you out spouting about banning certain kinds of vehicles.

Either way, your opinion on the matter is about as relevant as my opinion on the UK's healthcare system.

Last but not least, the UK doesn't have the US constitution. Even still, gun related violence is down while gun ownership, and population are up. You have no argument.

Perhaps some local politics in your country would be time better spent for you.

Take a Step Back -
If you are ready to explain to me why it is ok that 14,000 Americans die of gun-related homicides each year...
This is a lie.

2011 total firearm-related murders was 8583
2010 9528
2009 9199
2008 8874

These numbers represent ~0.003% of guns in the US, which, statistically, approaches zero.

Tell us why you think the availability of guns is a problem.

Forum List

Back