🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Woman lies to officers about Confederate Flag incident now may be sentenced to 5 years in prison

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Stupid decision on her part. She says she was mad, but it wasn't racially motivated. If that's true, then why did she have to get a Confederate flag? Couldn't she have just written a nasty note, or done something else?

She lied to the Feds. Not the local police.

You can lie to police and it's legal as long as you aren't filing a false crime report.
Even so, the fact that one can be imprisoned for lying to federal cops without having a formal oath administered has always seemed un-American to me. It indirectly implies the power of the Soviet KGB, the East German STASI, or the Haitian Macoute.

And for five years is utterly Draconian. That is one hell of a chunk to tear out of this woman's life. It imparts a menacingly fascistic semblance to the federal law enforcement syndicate.

Daisy Duke shoulda thought of the consequences before doing her hateful deed

You can lie to police and it's legal as long as you aren't filing a false crime report.
Even so, the fact that one can be imprisoned for lying to federal cops without having a formal oath administered has always seemed un-American to me. It indirectly implies the power of the Soviet KGB, the East German STASI, or the Haitian Macoute.

And for five years is utterly Draconian. That is one hell of a chunk to tear out of this woman's life. It imparts a menacingly fascistic semblance to the federal law enforcement syndicate.
You bring up two damn good points. So she was convicted on no more then a he said/she said.

Ok...and why did the police become involved?

Thompson's (black) coworker found the image and inspectors from the Federal Protective Service were notified and opened an investigation into whether or not there'd been a break-in at the facility, officials said.

Authorities wanted to know if there was a threat of violence against the facility and were trying to discover if any federal crimes had been committed.

Thompson was interviewed twice and lied to investigators both times - denying that she'd placed the image on the coworker's desk.

That employee and Thompson had a bad working relationship and had previous yelling matches in their office, officials said.

Eventually, Thompson admitted she was angry at her coworker and had placed the image of the flag on the desk. Authorities let her resign rather than fire her.

I highly doubt she will get five years

You bring up two damn good points. So she was convicted on no more then a he said/she said.
I seriously doubt that.

They always work in pairs for a reason. The reason being that the feds do not want it to ever be a "he said/she said" situation in front of the judge.

So they always make it a "they said/you said" situation. 2 witnesses vs. 1.

The big mistake people make when confronted by the feds is talk to them without counsel in the first place.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back