Woman prays to Jesus during a Bear Attack

And Achilles got hit in the heel by an arrow.
How do you know which myth is which?
How do adults wind up believing this stuff is real?

Achilles is greek mythology. The biblical account of the prophets is factual.

Like I said.
How do adults wind up believing such things? Even the Hebrews who wrote these stories knew them as parables.
Amazing.

It is astonishing that in the 21st century so many people still hold the same beliefs that primitive people held thousands of years ago.

Let me paraphrase.
"If I was given the gift of reason, I sure as hell wouldn't use it to challenge anything I was told!"
Well, you were, and you don't.

are you equating challenging something you have said with challenging something God has said......because I certainly don't......

So the challenges stop if you are dealing with certain entitities, but not with others.

comes with being God......one of the perks of knowing everything.....

King David was referred to as a boy, a lad, at age 25 - which is when he was anointed to be King.

Thus Jesse made seven of his sons pass before Samuel. But Samuel said to Jesse, “The LORD has not chosen these.” And Samuel said to Jesse, “Are these all the children?” And he said, “There remains yet the youngest, and behold, he is tending the sheep.” Then Samuel said to Jesse, “Send and bring him; for we will not sit down until he comes here.” So he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, with beautiful eyes and a handsome appearance. And the LORD said, “Arise, anoint him; for this is he.” Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon David from that day forward. And Samuel arose and went to Ramah. 1 Sam 16:10-13 (NAS95S)

You will note that King David's older brothers ( men in their thirties and older ) were referred to as "Children" by Samuel the prophet when he came there to anoint the person God had chosen.

You will also refer back to the story of Abraham and Isaac and note that he is referred to as a child... scholars believe he was in his twenties. He carried his own firewood.

See Genesis 22: 2

- Jeremiah

The only place I am seeing their ages is your say so.
Not overly compelling.

/shrugs....but you have no problem arguing they were innocent little kids.....

The ages of the "children" is not as important as God having 42 of His children murdered horribly by bears for simply teasing a man for being bald. The man's pride, one of the seven deadly sins, and vanity, another deadly sin, were so hurt that he called down death from his merciful, forgiving, just, loving Lord upon his fellow human beings. And God complied.

I find it interesting that your take on this is that God probably didn't want to kill these little children but because vain old Elisha ordered him to God didn't have any choice in the matter......do realize that if God actually worked this way half the people who post here would be dead already?......

King David was referred to as a boy, a lad, at age 25 - which is when he was anointed to be King.

Thus Jesse made seven of his sons pass before Samuel. But Samuel said to Jesse, “The LORD has not chosen these.” And Samuel said to Jesse, “Are these all the children?” And he said, “There remains yet the youngest, and behold, he is tending the sheep.” Then Samuel said to Jesse, “Send and bring him; for we will not sit down until he comes here.” So he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, with beautiful eyes and a handsome appearance. And the LORD said, “Arise, anoint him; for this is he.” Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon David from that day forward. And Samuel arose and went to Ramah. 1 Sam 16:10-13 (NAS95S)

You will note that King David's older brothers ( men in their thirties and older ) were referred to as "Children" by Samuel the prophet when he came there to anoint the person God had chosen.

You will also refer back to the story of Abraham and Isaac and note that he is referred to as a child... scholars believe he was in his twenties. He carried his own firewood.

- Jeremiah

Not overly compelling.

I'm just going by what the various translations say. Children, boys, lads, youths, the story is consistent. Elisha had bears maul non-adults because his feelings were hurt.

I don't know why this is so uncomfortable of an idea. Read the Bible. God kills children all the time in that thing. I understand that those kinds of stories don't normally get told in Sunday School, but they're in the book.

The ages of the "children" is not as important as God having 42 of His children murdered horribly by bears for simply teasing a man for being bald. The man's pride, one of the seven deadly sins, and vanity, another deadly sin, were so hurt that he called down death from his merciful, forgiving, just, loving Lord upon his fellow human beings. And God complied.

I find it interesting that your take on this is that God probably didn't want to kill these little children but because vain old Elisha ordered him to God didn't have any choice in the matter......do realize that if God actually worked this way half the people who post here would be dead already?......

So who is the bigger dick in the story? God's chosen prophet Elisha for asking God to smite kids because they made fun of his comb over or God who said "sure thing E."? Either God is a shitty judge of character because he allowed Elijah to pass on his super prophet powers and God signed off on it...or God just goes along with pedocide whenever asked.

That wasn't my take on the story. I was suggesting that the God described in the Bible, by Iron Age, nomadic desert religious zealots, thought that ol' Elisha was justified in cursing the 42 kids (teens, men, whoever) with death by bear-mauling because Elisha was sensitive about his male-pattern baldness and so He sent two bears to do just that - is not the loving, merciful, just, forgiving God you and your brethren make Him out to be.

How do reconcile this idea of a loving God who embodies mercy and justice with the cruel, capricious God described in the Bible who has people mass murdered by bears for teasing someone about their lack of hair?

Not overly compelling.

I'm just going by what the various translations say. Children, boys, lads, youths, the story is consistent. Elisha had bears maul non-adults because his feelings were hurt.

I don't know why this is so uncomfortable of an idea. Read the Bible. God kills children all the time in that thing. I understand that those kinds of stories don't normally get told in Sunday School, but they're in the book.

lets see....there were some children among the tribes he punished in Canaan for committing human sacrifice.....other than that I can remember lots of times in the Bible where God was NOT killing children.....which others were you referring to?....

So who is the bigger dick in the story? God's chosen prophet Elisha for asking God to smite kids because they made fun of his comb over or God who said "sure thing E."? Either God is a shitty judge of character because he allowed Elijah to pass on his super prophet powers and God signed off on it...or God just goes along with pedocide whenever asked.

given the final results I expect the bigger dicks were the boys....since God decided the best thing he could do in the situation was put them down.....they must have been some real bastards......

That wasn't my take on the story. I was suggesting that the God described in the Bible, by Iron Age, nomadic desert religious zealots, thought that ol' Elisha was justified in cursing the 42 kids (teens, men, whoever) with death by bear-mauling because Elisha was sensitive about his male-pattern baldness and so He sent two bears to do just that - is not the loving, merciful, just, forgiving God you and your brethren make Him out to be.

How do reconcile this idea of a loving God who embodies mercy and justice with the cruel, capricious God described in the Bible who has people mass murdered by bears for teasing someone about their lack of hair?

my take on it was that he knew the boys were actually at their peak of goodness and decided to get rid of them before things got even worse.....

It is about respecting authority. What happens when your children don't respect police? What do they grow up to be? Criminals?

So laughing at a cop is the same thing as being a criminal? God's prophets are the equivalent of Eric Cartman and his "res-pect mah authoriah!" attitude?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx4jn77VKlQ]Cartman Respect My Authoritah - South Park - YouTube[/ame]

So laughing at a cop is the same thing as being a criminal? God's prophets are the equivalent of Eric Cartman and his "res-pect mah authoriah!" attitude?

Cartman Respect My Authoritah - South Park - YouTube

There was a man holding a garden hose nozzle on his porch and pointing at people. I remember reading in the news years ago that the police shot him. I didn't agree with it but these things happen because you don't respect authority. This is why toys are painted orange so no one mistakes them for the real thing.

2 Kings 2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children (h3206 יֶלֶד yeled) of them.

Genesis 4:23 And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man (h3206 יֶלֶד yeled) to my hurt.

The same Hebrew Strong's number H3206 is used for the same word whether it is translated "children" or "young man".

The word is also figuratively used for apostate Israelites so you have an old language and people don't know how to use it. So basically if you have young adults acting like children and mocking people, they will be called children because they need more than grow up. I suppose God's word is mocking them and it might be a play on words.

But all people have are translations with no way to do word study or look things up and the tools are right on the web.

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

Genesis 4 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

2 Kings 2 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

- Jeremiah

Not overly compelling.

Christians don't question this?! Christians don't question this. Morality and goodness only applies to us, morality and goodness are different for God, I guess. Sure makes me want to convert...

Heaven and Hell is a reality and it doesn't matter if you don't like it because those realities stay the same.
If you live in the flood plane, getting a sump pump and a generator are things you do. You convert and get them or you get flooded and live without electricity.
Sickness is a reality. You don't like it then don't go to the hospital or the doctor.

- Jeremiah

Not overly compelling.

[MENTION=48205]thebrucebeat[/MENTION]

You wish to be a judge of the Bible but you have no ability greater than reading it when you should be studying it or else you would know better than to make those statements.

2 Kings 2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children (h3206 יֶלֶד yeled) of them.

Genesis 4:23 And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man (h3206 יֶלֶד yeled) to my hurt.

The word is used figuratively or an apostate or young man. Possibly God is using the word as a play on words calling them men children for their action and judging the apostates accordingly.

Clearly it would mean she didn't pray enough. It's like meter on a game show where God will smite her or something...unless she prays hard enough to move the arrow on the meter. Pass the magic mark and God answers your prayers. Don't pass it and become bear fodder. :eusa_pray:

I personally like the story in the Bible where the kids were making fun of some prophet's bald spot, so he prays for some bears to kill the children and the bears show up and kill the children. Nothing say Holy Man doing God's work like having wild animals devour school kids because they said your comb over looks stupid. :eusa_pray:

He was a prophet and they were mocking him. Children? Youths in their 20's perhaps but children? No...

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
25 And he went from thence to mount Carmel, and from thence he returned to Samaria.

Says children right there in the King James Version. 2 Kings 2:23-25 KJV - And he went up from thence unto Bethel: - Bible Gateway

[MENTION=44543]Steven_R[/MENTION]

Did you do a word study like I asked you to? Did you look up all the words for children in Strong's?

Just because you can read doesn't mean you know how the word was used. It is possibly a play on words and the translators are being very literal because they don't wish to make a mistake. The word is used figuratively of apostates and God is probably calling the young men children and delivering a response of judgment instead.

- Jeremiah

Not overly compelling.

[MENTION=48205]thebrucebeat[/MENTION]

You wish to be a judge of the Bible but you have no ability greater than reading it when you should be studying it or else you would know better than to make those statements.

The word is used figuratively or an apostate or young man. Possibly God is using the word as a play on words calling them men children for their action and judging the apostates accordingly.
Play fast and loose in desperation to defend the indefensible.
You look utterly ridiculous.

Forum List

Back