Workers Reject UAW at Tennessee VW Plant

Yep, you did. The company was treating the workers fairly so they voted against the union.

The union would have been voted in if the company had been screwing up.
Wrong. The union wanted union members to do what it does, funnel money into the Democrat coffers. They wanted that plant to plant their flag in a foreign auto manufacturer in the south and continue on since they have been shrinking over the years. It was a big deal for them. They poured a lot of money into the effort.

It was all about the union, not workers, there was no outcry for union protection.

Yep, you did. The company was treating the workers fairly so they voted against the union.

Wrong. The union wanted union members to do what it does, funnel money into the Democrat coffers. They wanted that plant to plant their flag in a foreign auto manufacturer in the south and continue on since they have been shrinking over the years. It was a big deal for them. They poured a lot of money into the effort.

It was all about the union, not workers, there was no outcry for union protection.

actually, about half the workers wanted a union.

Here's the thing. Volkswagen has unions everywhere else in the world where they do business. In Germany, Volkwagen has unions that no only have a say in worker's rights, but how the company itself is run.

In this case, Volkswagen wanted a union in the plant, it was Republican Politiicians in TN who didn't.

Tenn. lawmakers issue incentive threat in VW union move.

The crusade by anti-union forces in Tennessee, including the state's governor and senior senator, is as much a fight with Volkswagen management as with the UAW.

Not only are Republican legislators accusing Volkswagen of backing the UAW, some of their leaders on Monday threatened to withhold tax incentives for future expansion of the 3-year-old assembly plant in Chattanooga if workers vote this week to join the UAW.

About 1,500 workers will vote from Wednesday through Friday in an election that the National Labor Relations Board will conduct.

....Norquist and a group called Center for Worker Freedom have rented about a dozen digital billboards in the Chattanooga area trumpeting anti-union messages. One shows an image of the long-abandoned Packard ruins with the message: Detroit: Brought to You by the UAW.

The company has allowed anti-union groups into the plant to talk to workers and distribute printed material

Tenn. lawmakers issue incentive threat in VW union move

Again more proof that Republicans only believe in the free market if it benefits the GOP.
It is impossible for you to show how the story in the OP is an example of this.

Businesses and unions have their own agendas, as do workers.

The workers chose what they thought was the best path for them.

Here's the thing. Volkswagen has unions everywhere else in the world where they do business. In Germany, Volkwagen has unions that no only have a say in worker's rights, but how the company itself is run.

In this case, Volkswagen wanted a union in the plant, it was Republican Politiicians in TN who didn't.
Perhaps I missed something here.

If the workers (half or more) wanted a union...

How did the Republican Politicians in Tennessee influence the vote, to a decisive extent sufficient for the 'blame' to be laid at their door?

I'm left with the distinct impression that the Glory Days of labor unions are gone forevermore.

This coming from someone who was a Teamster, for a couple of years, eons ago, as a part-time semi tractor-trailer driver on evenings and weekends, driving a semi tractor-trailer when not going to the university, as a kid fresh out of the service, going back to school on the GI Bill, and who hails in part from a Chicago South-Side Irish blue-collar union card-carrying family, with deep, loyal roots to the Labor Movement in our neck of the woods.

Observing unions as a non-member now for many years, I've concluded that very few unions, and very few locals within those unions, do a very good job of protecting their memberships from the worst predations of Big Business and that Big Business has outsourced and off-shored so many jobs, formerly protected by the unions, that many unions are hanging-on by the skin of their teeth and do not earn their pay (dues) any longer, the way they once did in this country.

I blame (largely) Republican Big Business for screwing-over labor by outsourcing and off-shoring so many of those jobs that formerly fed an entire family - a day's honest labor for a day's honest wages.

I blame (largely) Democratic politicians for screwing-over labor by advocating for Illegal Aliens to be rewarded with a path to citizenship after 12,000,000 of them have descended upon us like a plague of locusts and depressed wages in several trades.

I blame (largely) Republican Big Business for preying upon that Illegal Alien labor pool and undercutting the wages of honest hard-working Americans and thereby further eroding their position and prospects.

I blame (largely) bipartisan voters for putting up with these Illegal Aliens for so long and eventually growing tired of resisting and letting the bigwigs on both sides shoe-horn in another 12,000,000 Illegal Aliens into the country as another (1986) and quadrupled Shamnesty approaches on the horizon.

I blame the unimaginative dullards in these unions for not having the foresight to envision such outcomes and for not having the courage to put a stop to both business subversion of unions and the schemes of politicians and vote-whores in both parties to sneak another 12,000,000 in under the rug.

I blame us - the American People - for the very same thing.

Several major factors have served to emasculate Labor Unions in this country and to render them a mere shadow of their former selves.

Or so it seems to this observer, at first glance.

It appears to this observer that you have a major bug up your keister about illegal aliens, and they really aren't the problem here.

I think Unions have declined for a number of reasons. First is that corporations outsourced and offshored so much work, but the other part of the problem is that companies have needed by necessity to reduce headcount to increase profits. So a job that used to be done by five people is now done by two. Works well for the investor, he sees more dividends, but it sucks for the three people who lost jobs and the two people who still have them and had their workloads increased by 150%.

Second problem, most of what unions used to do is now done by government. So they've become redundant.

Third problem- Unions didn't evolve to match the changing workforce. in short, they were only interested in protecting their own members, and not the workforce in general. That means not only did managment resent them, but so did their peers. (Of course, constant propagandizing against "lazy" union workers probably didn't help.)
I do, indeed, have a major problem with our 12,000,000 Illegal Aliens, and the prospect of granting them a so-called pathway to citizenship (a.k.a. Shamnesty).

Illegal Aliens are ONE of the causes of the erosion of the working-class / lower-middle-class in this country; given their intrusion into several trades and subsequent depressing of wages therein.

But I'm perfectly aware that Illegal Aliens are not the ONLY reason for such a decline, and we agree about Outsourcing and Offshoring being a HUGE influence in that decline; as well as being one of the primary underlying causes of the weakening of the unions.

I am glad workers in Tennessee rejected representation by the United Auto Workers union. Tennessee is a Right to Work state. This means that no workers in Tennessee should be forced to join a union as condition of employment.

I am thinking Jimmy Hoffa might be buried in the cornerstone of the Tennessee Tower in Nashville.

200px-Tennessee_Tower_2009.jpg

I am glad workers in Tennessee rejected representation by the United Auto Workers union. Tennessee is a Right to Work state. This means that no workers in Tennessee should be forced to join a union as condition of employment.

That's right!

The workers should not be forced to endure more pay, better benefits, and improved working conditions.

How did the Republican Politicians in Tennessee influence the vote, to a decisive extent sufficient for the 'blame' to be laid at their door?

Workers were lobbied by unions, business, and politicians.

The workers chose.

That's right!

The workers should not be forced to endure more pay, better benefits, and improved working conditions.

You mean unemployment. All the non-union workers have to endure lower pay as a result of Union contracts excluding them from good-paying jobs. When the employer goes out of business, you end up with Detroit.

The workers chose.

How dare those businesses explain the disadvantages of unions to their employees!

The workers chose.

How dare those businesses explain the disadvantages of unions to their employees!

You ignored that politicians and unions did as well as business.

You may not like, sonny, but this country is a democratic republic.

Don't want any anarchy here.

Boeing damn near moved from here. The union had to back off, so more and more and more doesn't always happen. That would have left a big hole in the state.

Ask one of those union guys how much they make and what benefits they get that are so bad and you get "mind your own business" for an answer. So it's my business to observe the strike but not my business to see how bad they have it?

That's right!

Unions encourage discriminatory hiring practices. Refusing to hire someone posessing the right credentials merely because he won't join a union amounts to discrimination. Not to mention having to pay union fees.

That's right!

As compared to unions who force you to join in order to get that job, forced union dues that would go to a candidate that you do not like. Dues that cost as high as 952.00 a year(GM).
What is wrong with this Tennessee auto plant? They work 4 days a week and get 3 days off.
They get medical and dental plans, life insurance and retirement savings.
Someone graduating from high school can get a job there and get 27.00 an hour, that's 1080.00 a week before FICA taxes (FICA over 56.50 a week). They get to keep about 79.00 more a week rather than give it to the union for their dues.
So of course the workers are going to vote against a union.

A person can live pretty well on 4,000.00 a month with a family and they are not in debt for college loans.

I have never understood why somebody would want a union to negotiate their salary.
I am completely aware of what my skills and talents are worth, and I prefer to negotiate my pay, my vacation and my benefits based upon the market value of my skill-set. I damn sure don't want some union deciding that I should settle for less vacation in lieu of more pay. One size fits all when it comes to unions, and that is crap. I don't want some union deciding that my job is worth $XX in salary when my personal performance at that job is worth more than the other folks doing the exact same job because I do it better.
People that want a union to negotiate for them are most likely crappy employees.

That's right!

As compared to unions who force you to join in order to get that job, forced union dues that would go to a candidate that you do not like. Dues that cost as high as 952.00 a year(GM).
What is wrong with this Tennessee auto plant? They work 4 days a week and get 3 days off.
Someone graduating from high school can get a job there and get 27.00 an hour, that's 1080.00 a week before FICA taxes (FICA over 56.50 a week). They get to keep about 79.00 more a week rather than give it to the union for their dues.

A person can live pretty well on 4,000.00 a month with a family and they are not in debt for college loans.

Because VW (a European company) is smart enough to offer their workers a decent wage and good benefits thereby keeping the union out.

That's right!

Because VW (a European company) is smart enough to offer their workers a decent wage and good benefits thereby keeping the union out.

Too bad Ford, Chrysler and GM won't do that.

Forum List

Back