Would You Be For An Anti-Lynching Bill?

Are you for an Anti-Lynching Bill?

• I'm a Republican, and I'm FOR such a bill.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a Republican, and I'm AGAINST such a bill.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I'm a Democrat, and I'm FOR such a bill.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I'm a Democrat, and I'm AGAINST such a bill.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I'm a Independent, and I'm FOR such a bill.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm a Independent, and I'm AGAINST such a bill.

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
I voted "against"

Such a bill is another product of identity politics which is already the equivalent of a million ton anchor tied around the neck of race relations in our country. Pass such a bill and somewhere, in some number of American minds, the belief that people of some color are lynched on a regular basis-- in modern times--will bloom. When a "hate" crime does occur, I am all for addition of aggravating circumstances--for classification of such regardless of skin color, religion, ethnicity, etcetera. Meaning no one specific subgroup takes precedence over any other if classified as affected by crimes committed out of hatred.
I'm not surprised.

Are you now defending those "democrat legislators?"

What's with the "democrat legislators" bullshit?

THEY FUCKING WERE DEMOCRATS!!!!~

Period. Not "democrats".

And no, Marc. The Party hasn't changed. For 150 years they were on the wrong side of the race debate, now they've changed (on the surface) and want to exploit Blacks even more.

How's that Inner City looking these days?

Republicans are Race Blind. We don't do any more for Blacks than we do for Whites. In point of fact, Trump's economy has Black unemployment at historically low rates. And he didn't single out Blacks in his economic approach.

But that's not good enough for you, right Marc?

We should have learned by now to never get between a dimocrap and his victimhood.

I voted "against"

Such a bill is another product of identity politics which is already the equivalent of a million ton anchor tied around the neck of race relations in our country. Pass such a bill and somewhere, in some number of American minds, the belief that people of some color are lynched on a regular basis-- in modern times--will bloom. When a "hate" crime does occur, I am all for addition of aggravating circumstances--for classification of such regardless of skin color, religion, ethnicity, etcetera. Meaning no one specific subgroup takes precedence over any other if classified as affected by crimes committed out of hatred.
Just Like They Keep Invoking
The Practically Non-Existent Non-Entity Of The "KKK"

Don Quixote Tilting At Windmills

Don-Quixote.jpg

Last edited:
I selected "Independent/For bill", but would see such legislation as a waste if the bill didn't also cover James Byrd Jr. type incidents.
What are "James Byrd Jr. type incidents?"

I selected "Independent/For bill", but would see such legislation as a waste if the bill didn't also cover James Byrd Jr. type incidents.

dimocrap scum will vote for this pile of shit bill but ignore the FACT that they made a former Grand Kleagle in the KKK the longest-serving Senator in US History.

Don't talk to me about the dimocrap scum party being for Blacks. EVER.

dimocrap FILTH are about power. It is ALL they care about. No morals, no message, no principles -- Power. It's all they care about. They will say anything, do anything, take any side as long as they think it will give them the power they so cravenly desire.

dimocraps are the scum f the Earth.

Robert Byrd - Wikipedia

Ku Klux Klan[edit]
In the early 1940s, Byrd recruited 150 of his friends and associates to create a new chapter of the Ku Klux Klan in Sophia, West Virginia.[10][11]

According to Byrd, a Klan official told him, "You have a talent for leadership, Bob ... The country needs young men like you in the leadership of the nation." Byrd later recalled, "Suddenly lights flashed in my mind! Someone important had recognized my abilities! I was only 23 or 24 years old, and the thought of a political career had never really hit me. But strike me that night, it did."[17] Byrd became a recruiter and leader of his chapter.[11] When it came time to elect the top officer (Exalted Cyclops) in the local Klan unit, Byrd won unanimously.[11]

In December 1944, Byrd wrote to segregationist Mississippi Senator Theodore G. Bilbo:

I shall never fight in the armed forces with a negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glorytrampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.

— Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944[11][18]
In 1946, Byrd wrote a letter to a Grand Wizard stating, "The Klan is needed today as never before, and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia and in every state in the nation."[19] However, when running for the United States House of Representatives in 1952, he announced "After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan." He said he had joined the Klan because he felt it offered excitement and was anti-communist.[11]

I've read this whole thread.

What it comes down to for those who are opposed to this legislation is that it's already illegal to kill someone. Which it is.

I remember when hate crimes legislation was trying to get through the congress. The same excuses to not pass those bills were used then too.

The bills finally passed. Now it seems everyone accepts them as the law and don't have a problem with them.

It's weird to see things repeat themselves very needlessly.

I've been a registered Independent since 1978. I voted yes to pass the legislation.

We already make distinctions in killing people in our laws. There's murder one, murder two. There's manslaughter. There's defending your life. There's accidental killing that had nothing nefarious to do with the death so no one is charged. There's vehicular homicide.

Personally, I think that lynching as a hate crime should be added to that list. Motive is one of the components to murder that the prosecution must establish. Hate is a motive.

If it's not going to have any impact because lynchings don't happen anymore, what's the harm of passing that bill?

It's symbolic right? The modern version of lynching includes all sorts of things like intimidation, and assault as well as murder and there are dozens of laws already on the books. You could say that Sara Sanders was a victim of lynching when she and her family were denied service in a restaurant, insulted and threatened and chased down the street. It's interesting to note that a republican congressman named Dyer introduced a bill back in the early 20's to outlaw lynching but it was blocked by democrats.

What are "James Byrd Jr. type incidents?"

I really can't associate lynching with modern day America, heck I was a year old when Emmitt Till was lynched in 1955. I can relate to my sick feeling when I heard of a black man (Byrd) being dragged to death behind a pickup truck only 20 years ago.

James Byrd Jr. killer's appeal denied

What it comes down to for those who are opposed to this legislation is that it's already illegal to kill someone. Which it is.

I remember when hate crimes legislation was trying to get through the congress. The same excuses to not pass those bills were used then too.

The bills finally passed. Now it seems everyone accepts them as the law and don't have a problem with them.

I've been a registered Independent since 1978. I voted yes to pass the legislation.

We already make distinctions in killing people in our laws. There's murder one, murder two. There's manslaughter. There's defending your life. There's accidental killing that had nothing nefarious to do with the death so no one is charged. There's vehicular homicide.

Personally, I think that lynching as a hate crime should be added to that list. Motive is one of the components to murder that the prosecution must establish. Hate is a motive.

If it's not going to have any impact because lynchings don't happen anymore, what's the harm of passing that bill?

It's intellectually dishonest and will give the impression to the dumber portion of society thats it's an actual problem?

The harm is that it triggers the white supremacists sensitivities.

I voted "against"

I'm not surprised.

Nor am I by the subject of your thread: "keep the race hatred fires burning"

They've been trying to get an anti-lynching bill signed in Congress for years now.

Are you for, or against such a bill? Why/why not?
Well, lynchings are pretty rare these days but I can't see any reason not to have an anti-lynching bill. It certainly can't do any harm.

How about a "anti-walking the plank bill" or a "anti-burning at the stake bill"

Maybe we could have an "anti-cat of nine tails" bill after those two
Well, none of those have the same historic connotations but whatever floats yer boat I guess.
They are all already illegal, so what’s your point?
Plus Wouldnt lynching a black person already carry an additional penalty?

Forum List

Back