Would You Be For An Anti-Lynching Bill?

Are you for an Anti-Lynching Bill?

• I'm a Republican, and I'm FOR such a bill.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a Republican, and I'm AGAINST such a bill.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I'm a Democrat, and I'm FOR such a bill.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I'm a Democrat, and I'm AGAINST such a bill.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I'm a Independent, and I'm FOR such a bill.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm a Independent, and I'm AGAINST such a bill.

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
It depends on the details. That's where the devil is. What does this law do that murder laws don't?
Absolutely nothing. Except the 100,000th weak and stupid attempt at reinforcing the narrative that America is still racist.
Hey, give 'em credit, it's a shrewd (if terribly intellectually dishonest and cynical) political move.

It's not about who would vote for or against it, it's about the fact that it was brought up at all - as if it just HAD to be.

Nasty stuff.

Agreed.
And that is the crux of the race baiters like MarcATL.
They want racism to exist, they need racism to exist. And when they can't find it - they manufacture it.
The problem being, of course, that this constant need to victimize blacks is exactly why they are well behind other races.
It's like a child raised by enabling parents. As long as they have that place to go where they can do no wrong, never admonished for their short comings and their bad behavior is always someone else's doing - they will be brats their entire lives.

You mean like the white wealthy people who say they are victimized by the poor.
That's the reason why Hillary is not the president, "uneducated, deplorable...."

Of course not. That is basically illegal through other laws.
How much fucking legislation do we NEED, exactly?

I don't think they are all that interested in balancing the budget. They have to do something I guess.

I think that one assumption we tend to make is that pretty much everyone wants to see race relations improve.
That just isn't the case. There are plenty who see the divisions as advantageous overall, and are all too happy to pour gas on the fire.
What exactly are you trying to suggest here? #SpellItOut
I just did.

#It'sRightThereOnTheScreen

The Democrat Politicans need to constantly fan the flames of racial tensions to be elected, that is why they have so many racial faux issues.

It helps the base feel less alienated by the Democrat's forwardly aggressive approach and support of immigrants. If the African Americans ever get the idea they are being put on the back burner, while the Democrats chase another minority, it's over for the Democrats.
good point

They've been trying to get an anti-lynching bill signed in Congress for years now.

Are you for, or against such a bill? Why/why not?
Because Lynching Is Murder
And Murder Is Already Against The Law ??

Can You Tell Me How A 'Hate Crime' Murder
Is More Egregious Than Any Other Murder, Assault, Vandalism, Etc... ??

Aren't All Murders Based In Hate One Way Or Another ??

First question- who is the “they” trying to get an anti lynching bill?

Second question- are there people being lynched, do we have a lynching issue, why haven’t I heard about all these lynchings?

Third question- why are you such a transparent phony?

FYI- I didn’t answer your phony survey.

So far (according to the link Penelope provided) we can assume "they" are African American Senators. But since legislation should not originate in the Senate, that may explain why "they" are having problems.

No.

Spending legislation has to start in the House of Reps according to the Constitution.

Any bill that's not spending can start in either house of Congress.

I have seen some spending bills started and passed in the Senate then sent to the House. The purpose is to get the House to get off their lazy butts to pass spending legislation that's needed. That usually happens when the congress is split with one party controlling the House and a different party controlling the Senate.

Well, lynchings are pretty rare these days but I can't see any reason not to have an anti-lynching bill. It certainly can't do any harm.
Why Waste Time On Useless, Meanigless
Feel Good Nothingness

Is It For The Point Of Making Another Empty Statement ??

https://www.harris.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/ALB18773.pdf
Sounds like it is more an apology-

(14) An apology offered in the spirit of true re- pentance moves the United States toward reconcili- ation and may become central to a new under- standing, on which improved racial relations can be forged.
It's amazing that it never was a law, considering this country's history.

Not even this can they get right.

#SMHGOP

Small part of an interview in 2005 regarding this-
SIEGEL: In the end, was the cause of an anti-lynching bill simply subsumed by the Civil Rights Act of the 1960s? Is that what happened, or...

Prof. SITKOFF: Yes. I mean, lynching as such now has decreased very significantly. In part because of the threat of federal anti-lynching legislation, Southern states began to do much, much more to stop lynching from occurring and to themselves prosecute lynchers when a lynching did occur. To a very large extent, then, a federal anti-lynching law became superfluous.

SIEGEL: Professor Sitkoff, thank you very much for talking with us.

Prof. SITKOFF: Thank you.

SIEGEL: Harvard Sitkoff is professor of African-American history and American studies at the University of New Hampshire. He spoke to us from Newmarket, New Hampshire.

Anti-Lynching Law in U.S. History

They are trying to make it a hate crime.

Lynching of Michael Donald - Wikipedia

The Senators need to talk to their supporters in the House, so that the Representatives can create and possibly pass a bill, that then can be reconciled in the Senate. It's amazing the things you can accomplish when you use the proper procedures.

The proper procedure isn't for a bill that's not a bill to raise revenue to start in the House.

Any bill that's not a spending bill can start in either the House or Senate.

They have been following the proper way to pass a non spending bill.

Read below and pay attention to the last paragraph.

I was taught this in Elementary School in the late 1960s. I'm surprised that people today don't know what's actually in the Constitution.

Submitting a Bill

Bills originate from several different sources, but primarily from individual members of Congress. In addition, bills might be brought to a member by a constituent or by a group of constituents; a bill can be submitted to a member of Congress by one or more state legislatures; or the President or his administration might suggest a bill.

However it is brought to the attention of a member, it must be submitted for consideration by the member. In the House, Representatives need merely drop a copy of a bill into a bin specifically placed to receive new bills. In the Senate, the bill is given to a clerk at the President's desk.

Bills can be introduced in either house, though as noted above, a bill must eventually pass both houses to become law. The exception to this is that bills for raising revenue must originate in the House, and never in the Senate.

https://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_law.html

No.

Spending legislation has to start in the House of Reps according to the Constitution.

Any bill that's not spending can start in either house of Congress.

I have seen some spending bills started and passed in the Senate then sent to the House. The purpose is to get the House to get off their lazy butts to pass spending legislation that's needed. That usually happens when the congress is split with one party controlling the House and a different party controlling the Senate.

The proper procedure isn't for a bill that's not a bill to raise revenue to start in the House.

Any bill that's not a spending bill can start in either the House or Senate.

They have been following the proper way to pass a non spending bill.

Read below and pay attention to the last paragraph.

I was taught this in Elementary School in the late 1960s. I'm surprised that people today don't know what's actually in the Constitution.

Submitting a Bill

Bills originate from several different sources, but primarily from individual members of Congress. In addition, bills might be brought to a member by a constituent or by a group of constituents; a bill can be submitted to a member of Congress by one or more state legislatures; or the President or his administration might suggest a bill.

However it is brought to the attention of a member, it must be submitted for consideration by the member. In the House, Representatives need merely drop a copy of a bill into a bin specifically placed to receive new bills. In the Senate, the bill is given to a clerk at the President's desk.

Bills can be introduced in either house, though as noted above, a bill must eventually pass both houses to become law. The exception to this is that bills for raising revenue must originate in the House, and never in the Senate.

https://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_law.html

Thanks for the heads up. Failure to launch is still gonna be an obstacle.

https://www.harris.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/ALB18773.pdf
Sounds like it is more an apology-

(14) An apology offered in the spirit of true re- pentance moves the United States toward reconcili- ation and may become central to a new under- standing, on which improved racial relations can be forged.
It's amazing that it never was a law, considering this country's history.

Not even this can they get right.

#SMHGOP
You mean a history full of democrat legislators? :rolleyes:
You are such a joke!

They've been trying to get an anti-lynching bill signed in Congress for years now.

Are you for, or against such a bill? Why/why not?

I voted "against"

Such a bill is another product of identity politics which is already the equivalent of a million ton anchor tied around the neck of race relations in our country. Pass such a bill and somewhere, in some number of American minds, the belief that people of some color are lynched on a regular basis-- in modern times--will bloom. When a "hate" crime does occur, I am all for addition of aggravating circumstances--for classification of such regardless of skin color, religion, ethnicity, etcetera. Meaning no one specific subgroup takes precedence over any other if classified as affected by crimes committed out of hatred.

Why do we need an anti-lynching bill/law? Lynching is murder and it’s against the law. We don’t have anti-death by gunshot laws that I know of, or anti-stabbing someone to death laws. No matter how you kill someone you’ve broken the law and subject to punishment.
Weren't you one of those self-proclaimed conservatives that was for more laws over that Kathryn Steinle situation in where she got killed, by mistake, by an illegal immigrant? Republicans and self-proclaimed conservatives everywhere were screaming for adding more laws in that situation.

Wha happened?!?!??

14586004976957461.png
We need something more. A five times deported felon sneaks back in and steals a gun and murders Kate Steinle! We need a wall. A really big wall.

Really most of the crime in the US is by citizens of the US.
So? Does not mean illegals don’t come here and commit crime does it?

Anti-lynching for whom?

For Blacks? You bet. For progressives....not so much.

:th_weirdthread:

:up:

I see so many conservatives who post that they want to kill progressives, liberals and democrats.

Why do you want to kill your fellow American? People you don't even know. What did someone you've never met before, someone who has never done anything to you ever do to you?

Why are you so full of hate and want to kill people just because they have a different view from you?
You are such a liar.

Forum List

Back