Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

Yes, amusement park owners must maintain their equipment to safe standards. And builders must build to code, which is another safety issue.

But the amusement park owners can charge what they want for admission. Builders can charge what they want for their services. The only limitation is what the market will bear.

Your landlord must abide by rules too. The aprtments must be safe and the grounds sanitary. They cannot evict on a whim. But they can charge you whatever they want. If it is too much their properties will be empty. If they are still full after the rent increase, they are obviously not overcharging.

There are ways you could have avoided this situation before you retired. But you chose not to do so. Now you have to live with it.

Rent control?

Democrats screwed owners by giving money to the renters then declaring they did not have go pay rent. The money should have given the money to the owners and told renters they didn't have to pay rent.

Instead renters got free money and free rent.

But they can charge you whatever they want. If it is too much their properties will be empty. If they are still full after the rent increase, they are obviously not overcharging.
FALSE! The rents are too high for the present residents. They LL can get college students who double or triple up in the apartments. Also the are is starting to get aliens flooding in (Mexicans,Haitians, Afghans, etc) who are getting public assistance $$$, so Biden can get their votes. The residents get no help from anybody.

As I said, the focal point of this is the residents and their plight, not the perspective of the landlords and business economics. Let all those not struggling in this hot water, keep quiet.

FALSE! The rents are too high for the present residents. They LL can get college students who double or triple up in the apartments. Also the are is starting to get aliens flooding in (Mexicans,Haitians, Afghans, etc) who are getting public assistance $$$, so Biden can get their votes. The residents get no help from anybody.

As I said, the focal point of this is the residents and their plight, not the perspective of the landlords and business economics. Let all those not struggling in this hot water, keep quiet.

I'm not struggling in this warm water. I am also just a few years from paying off my house. I decided to buy instead of renting. Now I have something to show for it.

I am all for getting illegal aliens out. But I think you blaming the illegals is a bit much.

The landlords own the properties. If they can't make the money renting, they'll bulldozer the place and build something more profitable.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

Feel your pain. The gop candidate running in va gov race was the ceo of a company that did the very thing.

And here’s the kicker. They’re getting those kind of tents because the alien population is willing to pay it to have a legitimate American address. They will rotate people living in the apartments and rental housing. Sharing the rent among many people.

Ironic isn’t it. Rich landlords helping to house the current legal and illegal alien population. The housing market is contributing to illegals more than anyother industry.

Stop and think about it for a moment. Without a job, or a place to live, illegals can’t operate, much less stay here. Start going after these employers and landlords renting to them, and your alien problem becomes a lot smaller one.

I'm not struggling in this warm water. I am also just a few years from paying off my house. I decided to buy instead of renting. Now I have something to show for it.

I am all for getting illegal aliens out. But I think you blaming the illegals is a bit much.

The landlords own the properties. If they can't make the money renting, they'll bulldozer the place and build something more profitable.
But they CAN make money renting. They can do what the previous owner did for 14 years, They can rent at $600/month (2021 $$).

As for the illegals yes, I blame them for entering the US in violation of our laws, disrespecting our laws (and therefore us as well). I blame Biden even more for facilitating their invasion and spreading them (unvaccinated and unvetted) all over the country.

In the past I bought 2 houses, but had to move, and I sold the houses. I liked being a homeowner, but I didn't like the refrigerator and air conditioning repairs. Another thing is, most of the people in my complex are too old to buy a house. Maybe they could've/should've when they were younger, but that doesn't help the current situation.

Feel your pain. The gop candidate running in va gov race was the ceo of a company that did the very thing.

And here’s the kicker. They’re getting those kind of tents because the alien population is willing to pay it to have a legitimate American address. They will rotate people living in the apartments and rental housing. Sharing the rent among many people.

Ironic isn’t it. Rich landlords helping to house the current legal and illegal alien population. The housing market is contributing to illegals more than anyother industry.

Stop and think about it for a moment. Without a job, or a place to live, illegals can’t operate, much less stay here. Start going after these employers and landlords renting to them, and your alien problem becomes a lot smaller one.
One cannot fully assess this whole situation without citing the illegal alien component, as well as Biden's blame for dumping so many of them here (and elsewhere-this isn't only Tampa's problem)

Democrats are more likely to approve of rent control. It is a liberal idea. Conservatives are more likely to believe the property owner should control their own property.
More importantly nobody owns rental property to lose money. The more risk, the less availability. The less availability the higher demand. The higher demand, the higher the prices.

Rent controls only make a bad situation worse. The only solution is to get more rental options for people.

The recent actions of the government to let people live rent free at the expense of the property owner has killed the rental market forever

Unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed can help this sector as well. Increasing market participation can only be beneficial to any market based economy.

But they CAN make money renting. They can do what the previous owner did for 14 years, They can rent at $600/month (2021 $$).

As for the illegals yes, I blame them for entering the US in violation of our laws, disrespecting our laws (and therefore us as well). I blame Biden even more for facilitating their invasion and spreading them (unvaccinated and unvetted) all over the country.

In the past I bought 2 houses, but had to move, and I sold the houses. I liked being a homeowner, but I didn't like the refrigerator and air conditioning repairs. Another thing is, most of the people in my complex are too old to buy a house. Maybe they could've/should've when they were younger, but that doesn't help the current situation.
Can you show us the express Immigration clause in our federal Constitution? If it is about being Legal to the Law, stop being such hypocrites, right-wingers.

I don't. I know.
Believing is thinking something is true based on partial or no information at all.
Knowing is thinking something is true based on the way it is.
All 10 of the highest rent cities in America are liberal cities.
Offhand, I would guess it is because they are financial centers or high-tech development centers. Red States are economically "cheaper" for the same reason the less developed world is cheaper.

Offhand, I would guess it is because they are financial centers or high-tech development centers. Red States are economically "cheaper" for the same reason the less developed world is cheaper.
To an extent, and as long as you are employed by those sectors.
If one earns $120,000 in San Francisco, but the average cost of living is 2.5 times that of someone in some other city.. that means someone there who only makes $75,000 is actually wealthier.

To an extent, and as long as you are employed by those sectors.
If one earns $120,000 in San Francisco, but the average cost of living is 2.5 times that of someone in some other city.. that means someone there who only makes $75,000 is actually wealthier.
Location may be everything.

In my opinion, solving simple poverty on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States can only provide more metadata for that sector and those market based metrics for our economy.

What market sector would be worse off with better market participation?

Forum List

Back