Yikes: McCarthy & Taylor-Greene warn telecom companies not to turn over Jan 6 phone records

Interesting. I wonder why they would be worried about such a thing. It was just a tour that got a little rowdy!

Any guesses?

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) have warned telecommunications companies against sharing information with the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) joined House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) in threatening telecommunications companies that comply with a records request from the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday. Greene is pictured after a press conference outside the Capitol in Washington, D.C. on August 23, 2021.

McCarthy and Greene on Tuesday both suggested that the companies would face repercussions for complying with the committee's request for data once Republicans are in control of the government. The committee asked 35 telecommunications and social media companies to supply it with the records on Monday.

Some of the requested records pertain to Greene and other Republican members of Congress who were involved in the January 6 "Stop the Steal" rally supporting former President Donald Trump's false claims that he "won" the 2020 election, according to CNN. Shortly after the rally, the Capitol was breached by rioters who claimed that Trump was a victim of election fraud.
I wonder why they think they have that right. This is political and nothing else. How about Pelosi phone records from that day? I say Greene should trade hers for Nancy's

The power of Congressional subpoena does not carry the weight of a court ordered warrant. That is the key issue at hand here. How are liberals going to feel about this when Republicans take the House and try to use the same tactics on Antifa/BLM insurrectionists? If the left could put their petty partisanship aside for a moment, they might see the real threat to their Constitutional rights and the severe overstepping of House Democrats.

I wonder why they think they have that right. This is political and nothing else. How about Pelosi phone records from that day? I say Greene should trade hers for Nancy's
I doubt that would be a problem

So it's illegal and unconstitutional and fascist for Congress to subpoena phone records from private companies?

They haven't even done that.

All the committee has done is asked the companies to preserve phone records.

Yet these republicans are having fits.

What are they so afraid of?

Wow I can't believe you are so uninformed but you only pay attention far right wing propaganda so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Do you mean this?

democrats spying on trump phone records?

Of course it's illegal. To obtain personal records one needs a warrant from a court to proceed, not that it's anything Nazis worry about. But if they get away with this, what goes around comes around, just like when Republicans take control of the House in 2022, Biden will be impeached, perhaps twice.

So when the Republicans do take charge, demand all the phone and text records of every Communist in Congress during the first Trump impeachment.
That isnt what they are saying though and I suspect that you are wrong. The perps are threatening the phone companies with repercussions after they regain power. That is mob justice.

Following your logic all they have to do is assert their supposed legal right to privacy. Criminals do not have the right to hide evideence.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. - 4th amendment
This boils down to them having details of a specific crime and specific people. Do they have that, or is this another assault on our constitutional rights by our corrupt fed gov?

Forum List

Back