You, Citizen Have the Constitutional Power to Decide which Laws are Unconstitutional.

Did this thread increase your repsect for the Jury system?

• Yes.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No.

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
In a dependant and enslaved country.
I am so sick of Progressive scum always devaluing the Citizen and rendering them ultimately powerless in their perspective and rhetoric.

The fact is that the Right to by a Trial by Jury of your PEERS allows the American Citizen to determine which laws are just and which are not.

Thomas Jefferson:
"I consider trial by jury as the only anchor ever yet imagined by
man, by which a government can be held to the principles of its
constitution." --Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Paine, 1789.

"It is left... to the juries, if they think the permanent judges
are under any bias whatever in any cause, to take on themselves
to judge the law as well as the fact. They never exercise this
power but when they suspect partiality in the judges; and by the
exercise of this power they have been the firmest bulwarks of
English liberty." --Thomas Jefferson to Abbe Arnond, 1789.

"If the question [before justices of the peace] relate to any point
of public liberty, or if it be one of those in which the judges may
be suspected of bias, the jury undertake to decide both law and
fact." --Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia, 1782.

Even Constitutional laws have been unjust, such as Fugitive Slave Laws and Prohibition, and these laws were rendered virtually useless through Jury Nullification. The verdict of a Jury (the acquittal in particular) cannot be overturned by a Judge (not even the Supreme Court), nor ignored by the Executive Power (they cannot arrest and detain/punish an acquitted man) nor usurped by Congress (Bills of Attainder are expressly forbidden in the Constitution). A Juror cannot be punished for his verdict. You, the Citizen, are the Supreme Sovereign of the Courtroom, and thus the Highest Earthly Authority to decide which laws are just and which are not.

Many claim that organized crime and the violence thereof was the reason Prohibition ended, but nothing could be further from the truth. If that were true, why hasn't the War on Drugs ended (modern prohibition) which has brought far worse violence and calamity than 1930's Prohibition ever did.

It was Trial By Jury that ended Prohibition (a progressive law --- go figure).

Progressives have had a rather unpleasant experience at the hand of Juries. There was a time when Progressives promoted "White Man's Burden," which was really an imperialist and racist policy to both invade and enslave people of color. Such Progressive White Supremacist ideas evolved into the KKK and eugenics programs. Notice that Democrats are still the Progressives, and they are still enforcing Black Codes in cities like Chicago to keep black people disarmed.

However, that aside, with their unpleasant experience of Fugitive Slave Laws being nullified by All-White Juries in both the North and South before the Civil War, they were clever to make the 16th Amendment (Income Tax) immune to Jury review, and it's through this penalty = tax, an absurd idea just recently affirmed by the Supreme Court, that Progressives are able to enforce their Unjust laws with a review by a Jury of your Peers, or --- Americans Citizens --- Progressives don't like when the ordinary Citizen is given this power, because they always nullify their unjust agendas and power grabs.

Identical in purpose to the 2nd Amendment, your right to Trial Jury, in Fifth, Sixth and Sevenths Amendments is there to empower YOU, the ordinary Citizen, as the Popular Sovereign. Popular Sovereignty was the CORE of the Enlightenment, it was the antithesis of the prevailing Feudalistic model of the Middle Ages, the Age of the Divine Right of Kings, where the Government officials were Public Masters. The Enlightenment brought upon an era where the Government officials were but mere Public Servants, who only ruled by the Consent of the People.

The decay of Divine Right started with the Magna Charta. It is here that the Barons decentralized the power of the King and granted themselves Trial by Jury, instead of Trial by King. In fact, this is where the word "Peers" derives from, since only Barons could judge other Barons.

No free man shall be captured, and or imprisoned, or disseised of his freehold, and or of his liberties, or of his free customs, or be outlawed, or exiled, or in any way destroyed, nor will we proceed against him by force or proceed against him by arms, but by the lawful judgment of his peers, and or by the law of the land

For a trivial offence, a free man shall be fined only in proportion to the degree of his offence, and for a serious offence correspondingly, but not so heavily as to deprive him of his livelihood. In the same way, a merchant shall be spared his merchandise, and a husbandman the implements of his husbandry, if they fall upon the mercy of a royal court. None of these fines shall be imposed except by the assessment on oath of reputable men of the neighbourhood

Within time, as the Enlightenment took hold, the concept of Trial by Jury was extended to all Englishmen, and it wasn't long before the King and his Judges attempted to punish his subjects for rendering verdicts contrary to the Royal agenda.

By the year of 1670, Jury Nullification was recognized as the Law of the Land, and Juries no longer feared being punished their verdicts.

In 1670, a grand jury refused to convict William Penn of unlawful assembly in Bushel's Case. The judge attempted to find the jury in contempt of court; this was ruled inappropriate by the Court of Common Pleas.

Even of the Freedom of the Press was born through Jury Nullification in the trial of Peter Zenger for publishing "seditious and libelous" articles about the King.

The Federalists got their asses handed to them during the Adams Administration when Juries routinely nullified the Alien and Sedition Acts (the Sedition half anyway). The Anti-Federalists rode a strong wave to victory not too long after --- and they never stopped violating those unjust laws --- they printed away as if those unjust laws didn't even exist...because convictions were EXTREMELY rare. The Government only prosecuted cases in districts where they were almost certain where there would be a conviction, and they still failed to obtain a conviction more often than they had expected.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So why does this all matter? Well in history of modern firearms, there have been two standoffs within the United States in which the People have won. The first is the Battle of Athens, Tennessee, 1946, also known as the McMinn County War, the second is the Battle of Bunkerville, Nevada, 2014.

In both of these events, the Government has not, nor will not, arrest and prosecute the Militias that took up arms against them. The chance of acquittal (or a hung jury at the very least) are far too high and would be a devastating and humiliating popular blow against the credibility and authority of the tyrants currently in power. These Militias are protected by a Jury of their Peers. Unless the Government intends to punish and intimidate Juries in the 21st Century, there is no way of guaranteeing a conviction.

Of course, there is the NDAA, signed into law by Obama, that allows "terrorists" to be detained indefinitely in Article II Courts without a Jury Trial, but we have yet to see any Bunkerville Militia Members go missing, so it's safe to assume that the General Government has not implemented this unjust law that usurps Popular Sovereignty by annulling Jury Trials.

If the people resort to arms to resist immoral and unjust laws, you can rest assured that their Right to Trial by Jury of their PEERS will protect them.

That is why:
A: Confiscation of firearms.
B: Suspension of Jury Trials

Are automatic signals to overthrow the Tyranny that did either, because without either, you cannot resist the Tyranny. It appears, for now, that the Feds have backed off and respected the Will of the People. If this continues and the feds keep backing off, there will be no need to overthrow the Federal Government, it will actually be a peaceful (through strength) revolution.

And if you think the NSA and NDAA are the limits to which the Feds will ever abuse their powers, you are very naive. We must have either a peaceful revolution or a violent one to reverse the current course. I hope you desire the former.

And don't worry, someone is going to mention the handful of RARE cases where Jury Nullification was used wrongly, such as freeing whites who murdered blacks, but they won't tell you how many All WHite Juries freed slaves by annulling the Fugitive Slave Laws. They want you to hate Juries.

Last edited:
It's a choice to me. I have to go. I sit there for a day. I get called once a year and have always been called to sit for a trial. I get out during voir dire. That's when they question the jurors. I have always been dismissed for bias. Thus only wasting the one day.

It's a choice to me. I have to go. I sit there for a day. I get called once a year and have always been called to sit for a trial. I get out during voir dire. That's when they question the jurors. I have always been dismissed for bias. Thus only wasting the one day.

Pretend to be a sheeple during Voir Dire. Talk about the Kardashians.

Just showing bias will get you out every time. I have been on both sides of jury selection. No one wants a biased juror.

I don't get it, who is arguing that a trial by jury is a bad thing?

I don't get it, who is arguing that a trial by jury is a bad thing?

Where did I ever state that someone was arguing that?

The point is that Progressives relentlessly hammer home the message that the People are ultimately helpless against Government.

It was this post that inspired this thread, and this post is repetaed in many different ways by Progressive scum:
There is no protected right in the Constitution for citizens to unilaterally decide - without consequences - which laws they will or will not obey.
[MENTION=47594]PaintMyHouse[/MENTION] has often made this statement on steroids, and his Libbie buddies thank him in his posts.

Last edited:
I see that one person voted no. I realize that many don't want to serve on a jury. I am willing to do it simply because I know I'll do it honestly. I have respect for our system and understand that the only way it works is to have honest people who respect it and are grateful we have it. Jurors should respect the rules regarding evidence and coming to a verdict. Being bias is a sign of low intelligence, meaning that you'll decide how to vote prior to hearing the evidence just because you are against certain people or have had a bad experience yourself. Even if you were a victim of a crime doesn't mean you will automatically vote guilty. You have to go into it by imagining that it's you on trial and consider what kind of jury you would want, at least if you're innocent. Bias is what allows innocent people to end up in jail and guilty people being allowed to go free. Honest jurors want true justice regardless of who the defendant is or the type of crime. If the wrong person goes to jail, the criminal is still out there ready to strike again. Yea, it's important to get it right and that means caring enough to try.

If you can't put your bias aside, then you are not mature enough to serve, which is why potential jurors are vetted. Shame on those who deliberately lie to get out of it. I guess it's easy for some not to take it seriously because it isn't their butt on the line.

Some countries don't care about justice and just automatically convict people, often for "crimes" like political dissention. Be thankful that we do have rights, but those rights depend on good people answering the call to duty and taking it seriously.

It's bad enough that our own government has opted to suspend our rights at their discretion. Obama can kill citizens without any trial or even charging them. That is unconstitutional and something normally only seen in dictatorships.

Like any right, if people don't appreciate it and demand that it be kept sacred, we all risk losing it forever.

Yea, sometimes it means sitting in a jury box for an indefinite period. No one ever said that it's easy to protect our rights, but it is necessary. Don't be one of those people who figures that it's someone else's problem.

Unconstitutional laws can be stopped in courts if the jury doesn't convict. No one can overturn the jury, though it's been attempted. It is patriotic to ignore unjust laws. Isn't that Obama's stance on immigration laws? Of course, many are taking that stance on Obamacare, hence the pitiful sign up numbers. The rancher is taking that stance with cattle grazing. Many states are challenging gun control laws. The people are meant to have the power, not government.

Last edited:
Very good post. People should request more jury trials. They have that right.

Let the majority of citizens decide what laws are just, and not.

BTW, a majority of Americans favor stricter gun control. Wanna jury for that?

Jury Nullification is not legal.

Any juror who gives any indication that she or he believes in the process will be immediately excused and so will any juror who heard the person say anything about it.

What gave you the impression that the 16th Amendment is immune from jury nullification? The 7th Amendment gives you the right of a jury trial when ever there is a dispute greater than 20 dollars, the 16th does not change that.

But jury nullification doesn't declare a law unconstitutional. It just means the jury opts to not enforce it. The jury doesn't decide the constitutionality of the law (they can use that as their justification for their vote if they choose or they can use another justification if they choose.) And only an acquittal is unassailable.

jury nullification has nothing to do with whether or not a law is constitutional. while a jury can choose to ignore a law and set a guilty person free that act does not decide the constitutionality of anything.

The quotes are out of context. Adams and Jefferson squabbled about many things, including judicial appointments, and that particular squabble led to a dispute over Justice Samual Chase being "impartial." Ultimately the issue was settled in Marbury v. Madison decision in 1802 which establishes the supreme court as "the decider." Even for things I don't like, like citizens united.

You have made a mash of quotes, 2dA, without understanding them at all.

Rewrite and let us try again to understand what it is that you mean.

Forum List

Back