14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

I am pursuing other endeavors. I feel for the friends I have that work really hard teaching.

Unfortunately, many of them are scouting around for something else to do. The turnover rate is going to be a future concern, count on it.

My answer to this future problem is...duh.

Having taught for many years, it pains me to try my best to steer former students away from a career in education...but I do.

Some of those same taxpayers that are demanding results are probably some of the same people that send rude, self-centered, materialistic kids to school every day.

If I was a parent of some of these kids I'd be ashamed to let them out in public. Each year we see more and more kids that aren't ready for prime time.

You can't make chicken soup from chicken poop- is an old line I learned long ago. It still holds true except when it comes to education.

As Andy Rooney said years ago, we are raising some really dumb kids.
Video games, cell phones, texting, raging hormones, poor parenting might be lame excuses to some; but you still are going to have horses that won't drink. I think the things I've mentioned may be a big reason why they aren't "thirsty".

I feel blessed to be away from it all.

Yes "some" kids are not ready for prime time and I blame "self esteem" and I blame "helicopter parents"...Most of these kids come from upper middle class families who can't quite get to the level of private school finances. These are the kids who are told by their parents that they are the greatest thing on the planet. The parents do everything in their power to prevent their kid from ever experiencing disappointment. That includes ripping into the school principal because the math teacher had the gall to give their little cupcake a "C".
Yes, I realize there are kids who are just pure evil.
That however is not the thrust of my point.
I am referring to the everyday working stiff parents that are being fleeced by greedy politicians.Fleeced in the form of property taxes to pay for the schools. Invariably, no one wants to be accountable for when those schools do not perform. And of course no one wants to step forward and explain why the school needs even more money.
Please, I have three friends that are teachers. They have a tough job, but please do not give the impression that teachers in general are somehow above the fray. As though they are not part of the failing system. They are.

Yes "some" kids are not ready for prime time and I blame "self esteem" and I blame "helicopter parents"...Most of these kids come from upper middle class families who can't quite get to the level of private school finances. These are the kids who are told by their parents that they are the greatest thing on the planet. The parents do everything in their power to prevent their kid from ever experiencing disappointment. That includes ripping into the school principal because the math teacher had the gall to give their little cupcake a "C".
Yes, I realize there are kids who are just pure evil.
That however is not the thrust of my point.
I am referring to the everyday working stiff parents that are being fleeced by greedy politicians.Fleeced in the form of property taxes to pay for the schools. Invariably, no one wants to be accountable for when those schools do not perform. And of course no one wants to step forward and explain why the school needs even more money.
Please, I have three friends that are teachers. They have a tough job, but please do not give the impression that teachers in general are somehow above the fray. As though they are not part of the failing system. They are.

all schools are failures and all teachers are failures too?

You are not part of the failing system?

You sound as if you believe you are above the fray

Students and school systems, generally, succeed or fail on the involvement or not of parents.

Link, Uncensored.

We cannot trust you to tell the truth.

Give us a direct, unadulterated link that says the CTA claims "success is entirely dependent on" taxpayer money and the amount spent.

Students and school systems, generally, succeed or fail on the involvement or not of parents.

That's not what the California Teachers Association keeps saying. They claim success is entirely dependent on how much taxpayer money goes to the union.

Unfunded pension liabilities directly lead to poor test scores.

There can be no doubt that most teachers are competent, but there are three or four factors that prevent the taxpayers from seeing the value for which they pay:

(1) it is impossible to get rid of a bad teacher. The teachers' unions have effectively won the argument by claiming that no teacher can be held accountable for the learning of their students because of other factors over which they have no control. While this is generally true, it is also true that if the teachers themselves participated in developing useful and efficacious measuring methods, the worst teachers could be identified and let go. It would not take many firings to dramatically improve the system. It would improve EVERYONE's performance, because they would understand that they are no longer untouchable.

(2) Effective student discipline is almost impossible. The kids know they cannot be touched, the administrators have become extremely risk-averse, and teachers in many systems work in fear every day. Chicago has had over 4,000 assaults of teachers in the past five years. Nobody can learn in an uncontrolled classroom. Our beloved president has launched a new initiative that will pursue and punish any school system which punishes "minorities" in greater proportion than "whites." This flies in the face of a mountain of evidence indicating that Black students are not disciplined enough - not the other way around. My (Catholic) high school had a "Prefect of Discipline," whose only job was to deal with student misbehavior. He was one of the football coaches. He seldom actually struck anyone, but he didn't have to - we knew that if he did our parents would back him 100%.

(3) Home work cannot be forced. The failure of some kids to keep up slows down the entire student population.

(4) Too many parents are stupid and lazy.

Parents. All of which comes back to the parents. That's why vouchers mean little if nothing. Voucher schools only have to take the students they want, while excluding the losers.

Either parents wake up, or we are going to be in super trouble.

As if the far right knuckle draggers have any idea of what is going on.

There can be no doubt that most teachers are competent, but there are three or four factors that prevent the taxpayers from seeing the value for which they pay:

(1) it is impossible to get rid of a bad teacher. The teachers' unions have effectively won the argument by claiming that no teacher can be held accountable for the learning of their students because of other factors over which they have no control. While this is generally true, it is also true that if the teachers themselves participated in developing useful and efficacious measuring methods, the worst teachers could be identified and let go. It would not take many firings to dramatically improve the system. It would improve EVERYONE's performance, because they would understand that they are no longer untouchable.

(2) Effective student discipline is almost impossible. The kids know they cannot be touched, the administrators have become extremely risk-averse, and teachers in many systems work in fear every day. Chicago has had over 4,000 assaults of teachers in the past five years. Nobody can learn in an uncontrolled classroom. Our beloved president has launched a new initiative that will pursue and punish any school system which punishes "minorities" in greater proportion than "whites." This flies in the face of a mountain of evidence indicating that Black students are not disciplined enough - not the other way around. My (Catholic) high school had a "Prefect of Discipline," whose only job was to deal with student misbehavior. He was one of the football coaches. He seldom actually struck anyone, but he didn't have to - we knew that if he did our parents would back him 100%.

(3) Home work cannot be forced. The failure of some kids to keep up slows down the entire student population.

I don't know what the answer is but,

as long as we have "voluntary learning" classrooms it is unfair to evaluate teachers on test scores. The best they can hope for is the disruptions be a minimum and over half are listening.

:wtf:the most offensive:

3. "God used the Trail of Tears to bring many Indians to Christ."—America: Land That I Love, Teacher ed., A Beka Book, 1994

4. Africa needs religion: "Africa is a continent with many needs. It is still in need of the gospel…

10. Mark Twain and Emily Dickinson were a couple of hacks:

12. Gay people "have no more claims to special rights than child molesters or rapists."—Teacher's Resource Guide to Current Events for Christian Schools, 1998-1999, Bob Jones University Press, 1998
Hey genius, here a little tip, when you post, try writing something relevant to the discussion for TODAY!

Go back to crocheting or quilting will you please..Or join a morning tea club. Or learn to fly model airplanes. Anything but post here.
Tell ya what...Here's a wet paper bag. Try to find your way out. I'll spot you the open end.

no one, including you, could possibly live up to those standards

BTW, I have worked in the "real world" for many years. Teaching is a different kettle of fish and it's more difficult.

But I'm certain that none of anyone else says will make a difference to you. You are a know-it-all.
Yeah well get used to it. Living up to those standards is becoming the new norm.
The taxpayers are tired of hearing excuses as to why with more and more money going to education, the situation has actually regressed.
I give you the Kansas City School system and the Washington DC school system.
Both of them shining lights on what NOT to do.

all schools are failures and all teachers are failures too?

You are not part of the failing system?

You sound as if you believe you are above the fray

Where did I state "all"?
Stop making up shit as you go.
You aren't even doing a good job covering your weak position.
Indirectly all taxpyers are "part of the system".
However, we give them our money but we don't get a seat at the table where the decisions on how to spend our money are made.

Hmmm I'd say it's one third of the problem. One third goes to school boards/administrations, the other third goes on the teachers who do not perform.
Although I believe parental involvement is a part of creating an advantaged educational experience.

Yeah well get used to it. Living up to those standards is becoming the new norm.
The taxpayers are tired of hearing excuses as to why with more and more money going to education, the situation has actually regressed.
I give you the Kansas City School system and the Washington DC school system.
Both of them shining lights on what NOT to do.

Why don't you become a teacher and save our schools?

Having been a school board president, I can state, at least for our district and region, the major problem of the three are parents who just don't care.

Hmmm I'd say it's one third of the problem. One third goes to school boards/administrations, the other third goes on the teachers who do not perform.
Although I believe parental involvement is a part of creating an advantaged educational experience.

funny stuff, some of it plain creepy

Like being taought Pop culture, or learning about monsters, or how to cook, or that voting more McCain will cause the war to last 100 years.

yeah, the public edjimukashun is way better.

Forum List

Back