🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

19 firefighters dead in Arizona fire

I've known some of the best firefighters anywhere. They don't pay attention to danger if it means being on oxygen for the rest of their lives, getting hotter than anyone else could stand, having a building fall on themselves, or die with the fickle change of the wind. They wouldn't have it any other way. They're brave, brave people, and quite a few of them will be fearlessly fighting a fire half an hour after their boss told them to get out, it's not safe. One guy was told to get out now, but he retorted no, that he was at point zero and was going in for the kill. He fought like crazy with his axe, getting to the root of fire, killed it, and won that battle. He saved a business three doors down from mine. In doing so, he saved the entire block. He came out unscathed except his handlebar mustache was somewhat shortened. What a guy. His two buds stuck it out with him. He's done it before, saving people's homes, lives, barns, and animals. Those guys in that town work out every day at the recreation center for an hour staying fit, then they hit the track. The younger guys won national firefighters championships for four straight years. It's no wonder with a guy like him for a role model who just doesn't quit because the fire registers a little too hot. When he was around, it was look out devil fire, he's gonna whoop yo' mean ass.

They love others more than self. Firefighters are a whole another breed of men. The worst day of their lives was 9/11 when 200 of their brother firefighters and cops died at ground zero from the WTC attack, assisting other people to safety. The only reason we lost 3,000 rather than 30,000 was because firefighters have a credo: "you leave first, fire victim. I have to see if there's anyone else."

They weren't there to save anyone's life.

The town had already been evacuated. We should respect these brave men who cannot be replaced enough not to waste their lives saving a bunch of empty buildings that can be replaced.

In short if no people are actually in danger then we need not send others to their death.

The whole town was not evacuated, some people were still there, for whatever their reasons.
That city has a lot of old 1880's & 90's buildings and the city gets good income from tourism because of them being authentic buildings.
Those buildings can not be replaced.

If they were there voluntarily then too bad. They had ample time to get out of the path of the fire. Anyone who was incapable of doing so should have received assistance that's it.

And sorry but no amount of tourist revenue is worth the life of a man never mind 19.

A building is nothing but bricks, wood and mortar can you quantify the lives of 19 brave men, husbands , fathers, brothers so easily?

I'm sure all those buildings were insured. There was no need to risk anyone's life.
I've known some of the best firefighters anywhere. They don't pay attention to danger if it means being on oxygen for the rest of their lives, getting hotter than anyone else could stand, having a building fall on themselves, or die with the fickle change of the wind. They wouldn't have it any other way. They're brave, brave people, and quite a few of them will be fearlessly fighting a fire half an hour after their boss told them to get out, it's not safe. One guy was told to get out now, but he retorted no, that he was at point zero and was going in for the kill. He fought like crazy with his axe, getting to the root of fire, killed it, and won that battle. He saved a business three doors down from mine. In doing so, he saved the entire block. He came out unscathed except his handlebar mustache was somewhat shortened. What a guy. His two buds stuck it out with him. He's done it before, saving people's homes, lives, barns, and animals. Those guys in that town work out every day at the recreation center for an hour staying fit, then they hit the track. The younger guys won national firefighters championships for four straight years. It's no wonder with a guy like him for a role model who just doesn't quit because the fire registers a little too hot. When he was around, it was look out devil fire, he's gonna whoop yo' mean ass.

They love others more than self. Firefighters are a whole another breed of men. The worst day of their lives was 9/11 when 200 of their brother firefighters and cops died at ground zero from the WTC attack, assisting other people to safety. The only reason we lost 3,000 rather than 30,000 was because firefighters have a credo: "you leave first, fire victim. I have to see if there's anyone else."

The town had already been evacuated. We should respect these brave men who cannot be replaced enough not to waste their lives saving a bunch of empty buildings that can be replaced.

In short if no people are actually in danger then we need not send others to their death.
Some fires can remain contained in 1 acre for days. suddenly a wind comes up, and before you can say blitzkrieg, 30,000 acres are shooting across a prairie or forest at breakneck speed. That includes urban forests BTW. That happened in Yellowstone Park and vicinity back in the 80s or 90s (can't remember which). Only after 3 days, the 30,000 acres blitzed into a million acres, and the rest is history. The forest has begun growing back, but it's taken decades, and it won't be old growth for decades to come due to the altitude and reforestation difficulties in times of severe drought.

If someone in your circle of friends or loved ones were threatened by a fire, wouldn't you hope there would be a quality team around you?

2% of all Americans have experienced loss of a home due to a fire. Most of us never have that problem. But 2% of 300,000.000 people is 6,000,000 Americans. (six million) Six million people are more than just a small handful of people. A few of them die of smoke inhalation before waking up. It's a cruel situation to be on the brink of life and death to have someone come into your hospital room 3 weeks later to inform you to get ready for your child's funeral today. Wouldn't you rather that person's child had had the benefit of a professional firefighter's intervention and saving of his life rather than saying "eew, I've been her 2 hours and 10 minutes. Time for my break while those people in there may burn while I'm having my coffee."

Firefighting isn't for everyone. It takes a very courageous person to agree to do the task of fighting fires so others can live and prosper.

The whole town was not evacuated, some people were still there, for whatever their reasons.
That city has a lot of old 1880's & 90's buildings and the city gets good income from tourism because of them being authentic buildings.

If they were there voluntarily then too bad. They had ample time to get out of the path of the fire. Anyone who was incapable of doing so should have received assistance that's it.

And sorry but no amount of tourist revenue is worth the life of a man never mind 19.

A building is nothing but bricks, wood and mortar can you quantify the lives of 19 brave men, husbands , fathers, brothers so easily?
Are you gonna be the man to tell them to step aside and let the fire pass to the next village?

You might not prefer to get the looks you get from them as they're shoving you aside to get to the front lines of hammering the blaze.

Some fires can remain contained in 1 acre for days. suddenly a wind comes up, and before you can say blitzkrieg, 30,000 acres are shooting across a prairie or forest at breakneck speed. That includes urban forests BTW. That happened in Yellowstone Park and vicinity back in the 80s or 90s (can't remember which). Only after 3 days, the 30,000 acres blitzed into a million acres, and the rest is history. The forest has begun growing back, but it's taken decades, and it won't be old growth for decades to come due to the altitude and reforestation difficulties in times of severe drought.

If someone in your circle of friends or loved ones were threatened by a fire, wouldn't you hope there would be a quality team around you?

2% of all Americans have experienced loss of a home due to a fire. Most of us never have that problem. But 2% of 300,000.000 people is 6,000,000 Americans. (six million) Six million people are more than just a small handful of people. A few of them die of smoke inhalation before waking up. It's a cruel situation to be on the brink of life and death to have someone come into your hospital room 3 weeks later to inform you to get ready for your child's funeral today. Wouldn't you rather that person's child had had the benefit of a professional firefighter's intervention and saving of his life rather than saying "eew, I've been her 2 hours and 10 minutes. Time for my break while those people in there may burn while I'm having my coffee."

Firefighting isn't for everyone. It takes a very courageous person to agree to do the task of fighting fires so others can live and prosper.

If I or someone I knew was in the path of a wildfire I'd get myself and/or them the fuck out before a man had to risk his life to save them. I could not live with myself if I needlessly caused the death of another when I could have simply left the area.

I'm sorry but the people of that town should be ashamed that they put those men in harm's way for nothing.

Forest fires are a natural phenomenon not unlike tornadoes there can be other measures taken to prevent wild fires from encroaching on homes without wasting the lives of brave men.

You seem to have respect for fire fighters you should realize that their lives are too valuable to throw away fighting fires where the only things in danger are a few acres of land and some buildings.

Are you gonna be the man to tell them to step aside and let the fire pass to the next village?

You might not prefer to get the looks you get from them as they're shoving you aside to get to the front lines of hammering the blaze.

Yes I would save a firefighters life before I did a building.

And if they didn't listen I'd have them forcibly removed from the area. You may think throwing a man's life away an easy thing but I don't.

When i first turned on my computer this morning, logged onto the internet and saw this, i thought i was seeing things. 19 dead firefighters? Unbelievable.

This is the story of the day, maybe even the story of the month. Sadly, it is mostly lost amongst all the hype of the Zimmerman trial. The truly honorable rarely get their due.

These brave souls will never be forgotten by many. I was listening to a person who lost everything except their dogs, because of firefighters like these.

R.I.P.

These brave souls will never be forgotten by many. I was listening to a person who lost everything except their dogs, because of firefighters like these.

R.I.P.

I know I would never forget someone who was trying to help save my home. I'm an Irish peasant at heart.

R.I.P.

I know I would never forget someone who was trying to help save my home. I'm an Irish peasant at heart.

These people the saviors of our homes, our families, our pets are a different breed of person. The word hero seems to small compared to their acts of care and courage.

R.I.P.

These people the saviors of our homes, our families, our pets are a different breed of person. The word hero seems to small compared to their acts of care and courage.

I agree, I have a very good friend who was a firefighter for 30+ years. As far as I'm concerned, he walks on water.

Hotshots killed included a father-to-be and sons who followed their dads into firefighting

Firefighters%20Killed.JPEG-0f844.jpg

"PRESCOTT, Ariz. — Nineteen members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, based in Prescott, Ariz., were killed Sunday evening when a windblown wildfire overcame them north of Phoenix. It was the deadliest single day for U.S. firefighters since Sept. 11. Fourteen of the victims were in their 20s. Here are the stories of some of those who died:

— Anthony Rose, 23

— Eric Marsh, 43

— Robert Caldwell, 23

— Clayton Whitted , 28

— Dustin Deford, 24

— Sean Misner, 26

— Garret Zuppiger, 27

— Travis Carter, 31

— GrantMcKee, 21

— Travis Turbyfill, 27

— JesseSteed, 36

— Wade Parker, 22

— Joe Thurston, 32

— John Percin, 24"

Washington Post

If I or someone I knew was in the path of a wildfire I'd get myself and/or them the fuck out before a man had to risk his life to save them. I could not live with myself if I needlessly caused the death of another when I could have simply left the area.

I'm sorry but the people of that town should be ashamed that they put those men in harm's way for nothing.

Forest fires are a natural phenomenon not unlike tornadoes there can be other measures taken to prevent wild fires from encroaching on homes without wasting the lives of brave men.

You seem to have respect for fire fighters you should realize that their lives are too valuable to throw away fighting fires where the only things in danger are a few acres of land and some buildings.
I love something you don't seem to about firefighters. I love what they stand for--putting others first and ahead of themselves.

"Greater love hath no man than he that lays down his life for others." That is the highest morality on earth, bar none. Kohlberg's theory of morality has its zenith in every firefighter, every soldier, every person who lets others go first, even people they've never met. Let the psychologists pee their brains out on how foolish are martyrs. It doesn't match one hair on the head of Scotty, that red headed feisty man who saved a block that included two banks, two theatres, a shoe store, two jewelers, a western store, four ladies' clothing stores, two antique stores, a toy store, three art galleries, a sandwich store, a leather goods and luggage store, a quilt store, a travel agency, a knitting shop, half a dozen gift stores, 3 CPA office complexes, a lawyer's office, a billiards hall, a centennial bar and grill, a community gathering park, and numerous office suites representing too many charities and businesses to even list here. Thanks Scottie and department heroes. You saved the heart of a town's financial, business, and human interests servers. The rich and the poor can never repay you, but we will see to it your family has a place in the small community forever. You saved a thousand jobs from being lost, at least.

Do you honestly believe the residents of Yarnell had any say in how wildfires are handled? Like they got together Friday evening and took a vote on whether the hot shot team based in Prescott should bother to come do their jobs as firefighters and fight the fire?

The people of Yarnell have nothing to be ashamed of.

the only things in danger are a few acres of land and some buildings.
Try over 8000 acres and possibly hundreds of buildings.

My thoughts go out to those firefighters and their families, however what truly made me sick about this whole thing is when CBS News used this tragedy to push the Climate Change BS on last nights 6PM news. What a truly despicable bunch of partisan hacks.

I love something you don't seem to about firefighters. I love what they stand for--putting others first and ahead of themselves.

That's just the point. These guys lives were wasted as they were not acting to save anyone's life.

Sorry but anyone who would say that the value of a building or a few acres of forest is worth the life of one man never mind 19 is seriously unaware of the value of life.

Do you honestly believe the residents of Yarnell had any say in how wildfires are handled? Like they got together Friday evening and took a vote on whether the hot shot team based in Prescott should bother to come do their jobs as firefighters and fight the fire?

The people of Yarnell have nothing to be ashamed of.

the only things in danger are a few acres of land and some buildings.
Try over 8000 acres and possibly hundreds of buildings.

Buildings can be replaced and forest fires have been occurring naturally in this country for hundreds of thousands of years and in fact forests are healthier after a fire.

Neither is worth the life of a husband, brother or father.

Forum List

Back