2 Gay Italian Designers Slam Elton John's "Synthetic Babies"

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
Not your typical flame-war. More like a flaming-war.. But the two gay Italians have a point..THEY enjoyed having both a mother and father..
Italian designer duo slam Elton John in IVF babies row - Business Insider
Rome (AFP) - Italian designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana on Monday accused Elton John of being authoritarian, ignorant and hypocritical in a row over IVF babies, escalating a spat that has embroiled some of the world's biggest stars.

John, 67, stirred up a social media storm on Sunday when he called for a boycott of the designer label in reaction to comments in which Domenico Dolce referred to babies conceived through IVF as "synthetic"....

In a typically scathing post on Instagram, he added: "Your archaic thinking is out of step with the times, just like your fashions. I shall never wear Dolce and Gabbana ever again. #BoycottDolceGabbana."

The designers, who are also gay and were in a long-term relationship with each other until a few years ago, said it was the veteran British rocker who was being judgemental.
Dolce said his comment that IVF was not for him should not have been interpreted as disapproval of anyone else's choices.

"I'm Sicilian and I grew up in a traditional family, made up of a mother, a father and children," he said in a statement.

"This is the reality in which I grew up, but it does not imply that I don't understand different ones. I was talking about my personal view, without judging other people's choices and decisions."...

Speaking to Italian daily Corriere della Sera's web edition, Gabbana said he had expected better from a singer he once admired.

"I didn't expect this, coming from someone whom I considered, and I stress 'considered', an intelligent person like Elton John.

"I mean, you preach understanding, tolerance and then you attack others?

"Only because someone has a different opinion? Is this a democratic or enlightened way of thinking? This is ignorance, because he ignores the fact that others might have a different opinion and that theirs is as worthy of respect as his."

Elton John's (with his gay "husband"..wife?..) position, of course, is that the kids he has (that don't have a mother, that were womb-farmed out in order to exist.....gee kids, what lessons are you learning about how to regard females in general?) are perfectly legitimate and the new trend. John went further to slam the two gay Italians for insisting a real family matters. Then the spat took on a life of its own on social media.

Helpful reference links related to this debate: A Child Can t Call 2 Women or 2 Men Mom Dad US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Prince s Trust Survey The Voices of the Voteless Children in Gay Marriage Debate US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

John and his "husband" have two toddler boys.

Discuss...

Last edited:
Dolce and Gabbana. Yay, you found some.

There is nothing to discuss. You have LGB&T that think it is unnatural. If you keep looking you will find LGB&T that don't even care one way or another.

Last edited:
I see the Gaystapo is crucifying these two. Heaven forbid they tolerate their beliefs....like they demand of others

I see the Gaystapo is crucifying these two. Heaven forbid they tolerate their beliefs....like they demand of others
BINGO. I like the point the two Italian designers made "we both had a mother and father"..

Plus, what message about females/women are John and his "husband" sending those two boys?

"See those there? They are just womb receptacles, not worthy of our love. Just there as a baby dispensing machine...for now...until our scientists invent the artificial womb" (and they will folks, they're already trying today..look for a patent soon..)

(pretty sure this is a new experiment the majority should weigh in on and not just 5 people from DC on behalf of everyone on earth..eventually.. into time unknowable..)

Last edited:
Millions of heterosexual couples use IVF to conceive children as well. Far far more than people who are gay. D & G's insult lands on them too.
That isn't the issue. The issue was having a mother and father or grandmother/grandfather...a thing Elton John had, and presumably his husband too:

Elton John was born Reginald Kenneth Dwight on 25 March 1947, the eldest child of Stanley and only child of Sheila Eileen Dwight (née Harris),[15][16][17] and was raised in Pinner, Middlesex in a council house of his maternal grandparents. His parents did not marry until he was 6 years old, when the family moved to a nearby semi-detached house Elton John - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

& John's "husband"..

David Furnish was born in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada, to Jack Furnish (retired, former director of Bristol-Myers) and Gladys Furnish (retired, homemaker). David Furnish - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

This is a new experiment they never lived through, that the two boys involved are undergoing with their culture's blessing...for better or worse...

Last edited:
Millions of heterosexual couples use IVF to conceive children as well. Far far more than people who are gay. D & G's insult lands on them too.
That isn't the issue. The issue was having a mother and father or grandmother/grandfather...a thing Elton John had, and presumably his husband too:

Elton John was born Reginald Kenneth Dwight on 25 March 1947, the eldest child of Stanley and only child of Sheila Eileen Dwight (née Harris),[15][16][17] and was raised in Pinner, Middlesex in a council house of his maternal grandparents. His parents did not marry until he was 6 years old, when the family moved to a nearby semi-detached house Elton John - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

& John's "husband"..

David Furnish was born in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada, to Jack Furnish (retired, former director of Bristol-Myers) and Gladys Furnish (retired, homemaker). David Furnish - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

This is a new experiment they never lived through, that the two boys involved are undergoing with their culture's blessing...for better or worse...
You are cherry picking. Would you tell a mother and father that their child is 'synthetic' and that they're terrible people?

& John's "husband"..

You are cherry picking. Would you tell a mother and father that their child is 'synthetic' and that they're terrible people?

I'm trying to find where I said we should tell a child they are synthetic and that they're terrible people. Could you find my quote and provide that or should I ask the moderators to delete your post?

This is a dispute/debate between adults. It almost seems as if you are attempting to shut down free speech by alleging it is directed with the intent to harm children. That is the epitome of irony since the Italians are urging that for the best interest of all children into time unknowable, we should openly debate BOTH sides of the issue..

& John's "husband"..

I'm trying to find where I said we should tell a child they are synthetic and that they're terrible people. Could you find my quote and provide that or should I ask the moderators to delete your post?
That's what Dolce and Gabbana said. As quoted in your OP. Can you find it? Or should I ask the moderators to highlight it in red for you? :cool:

That's what Dolce and Gabbana said. As quoted in your OP. Can you find it? Or should I ask the moderators to highlight it in red for you? :cool:

They said TO ELTON JOHN (not his sons) in a conversation what their opinion was. As I read the article, they simply said THEY wouldn't opt for depriving a child of both a mother and father. To John, this was "a full on frontal assault" and to you, apparently, it is "a wanton attack on John's children". When really it is an expression of free speech on a very controversial topic; especially in catholic Italy.

They said TO ELTON JOHN (not his sons) in a conversation what their opinion was. As I read the article, they simply said THEY wouldn't opt for depriving a child of both a mother and father. To John, this was "a full on frontal assault" and to you, apparently, it is "a wanton attack on John's children". When really it is an expression of free speech on a very controversial topic; especially in catholic Italy.
If a person told me it was immoral to have a 'synthetic' child and that I was a bad parent public condemnation would be least they had to worry about from me.

Does this gross you out Silhy?

INFphoto_2558422-650x528.jpg

Those kids will go to the best schools, have the best clothes, never know hunger, and have other opportunities most children could only dream of.

I notice you didn't address my last post. Usually when I make really good points a VERY LARGE PICTURE shows up with a topic diversion right underneath them.

I'll take that as a compliment.

The story is interesting to me because it brings up the issue of gene selection and eventually bio-engineering.

Single women and homos can now have children through invitro fertilization. Essentially, a sperm wad or an egg is chosen from a catalog. Obviously, nobody is going to choose a donor with a really low IQ, or gigantic Dumbo ears. That's the beginning of gene selection. Future tech will enable all parents to go in and select desirable genes from a set of possibilities.

Beyond gene selection, researchers are tinkering with bio-engineering. That would involve the actual manipulation of DNA. In such a world, it makes me wonder what aesthetic traits would be most trendy. After all, bio-engineering is just a fancy word for eugenics.

Not your typical flame-war. More like a flaming-war.. But the two gay Italians have a point..THEY enjoyed having both a mother and father..
Italian designer duo slam Elton John in IVF babies row - Business Insider
Rome (AFP) - Italian designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana on Monday accused Elton John of being authoritarian, ignorant and hypocritical in a row over IVF babies, escalating a spat that has embroiled some of the world's biggest stars.

John, 67, stirred up a social media storm on Sunday when he called for a boycott of the designer label in reaction to comments in which Domenico Dolce referred to babies conceived through IVF as "synthetic"....

In a typically scathing post on Instagram, he added: "Your archaic thinking is out of step with the times, just like your fashions. I shall never wear Dolce and Gabbana ever again. #BoycottDolceGabbana."

The designers, who are also gay and were in a long-term relationship with each other until a few years ago, said it was the veteran British rocker who was being judgemental.
Dolce said his comment that IVF was not for him should not have been interpreted as disapproval of anyone else's choices.

"I'm Sicilian and I grew up in a traditional family, made up of a mother, a father and children," he said in a statement.

"This is the reality in which I grew up, but it does not imply that I don't understand different ones. I was talking about my personal view, without judging other people's choices and decisions."...

Speaking to Italian daily Corriere della Sera's web edition, Gabbana said he had expected better from a singer he once admired.

"I didn't expect this, coming from someone whom I considered, and I stress 'considered', an intelligent person like Elton John.

"I mean, you preach understanding, tolerance and then you attack others?

"Only because someone has a different opinion? Is this a democratic or enlightened way of thinking? This is ignorance, because he ignores the fact that others might have a different opinion and that theirs is as worthy of respect as his."

Elton John's (with his gay "husband"..wife?..) position, of course, is that the kids he has (that don't have a mother, that were womb-farmed out in order to exist.....gee kids, what lessons are you learning about how to regard females in general?) are perfectly legitimate and the new trend. John went further to slam the two gay Italians for insisting a real family matters. Then the spat took on a life of its own on social media.

Helpful reference links related to this debate: A Child Can t Call 2 Women or 2 Men Mom Dad US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Prince s Trust Survey The Voices of the Voteless Children in Gay Marriage Debate US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

John and his "husband" have two toddler boys.

Discuss...

So are IVF kids 'synthetic'?

The story is interesting to me because it brings up the issue of gene selection and eventually bio-engineering.

Single women and homos can now have children through invitro fertilization. Essentially, a sperm wad or an egg is chosen from a catalog. Obviously, nobody is going to choose a donor with a really low IQ, or gigantic Dumbo ears. That's the beginning of gene selection. Future tech will enable all parents to go in and select desirable genes from a set of possibilities.

We've been doing that kind of 'gene selection' for tens of thousands of years.

Forum List

Back