🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

2014 World Cup Thread

The commentator on ESPN made a reference to WWII after Germany won. :lol:

Anyways, Germany were a bit lucky to not be behind after the first half when the Algerians tore their defense to shreds but couldn't finish. However, they took over in the second half, and France v Germany may be the best match of the tournament to date. I thought the two would meet, and originally picked Germany to prevail, but based on current form, I'd bet on France instead.

Soccer%20Headshot.gif

Don't cry for Argentina!!!

Last edited:
The commentator on ESPN made a reference to WWII after Germany won. :lol:

Anyways, Germany were a bit lucky to not be behind after the first half when the Algerians tore their defense to shreds but couldn't finish. However, they took over in the second half, and France v Germany may be the best match of the tournament to date. I thought the two would meet, and originally picked Germany to prevail, but based on current form, I'd bet on France instead.

Well, if the French start losing really badly the American team will run over and help them out.

Anyone who says Soccer is boring or unexciting didn't see today's game. 16 saves for our Goalie!! I was on the edge of my seat the entire match! It was as engaging and thrilling as any sporting event I've watched. Even though the USA lost, I Love, Love LOVED IT! GREAT GAME!

Now that the US is out, I hope Costa Rica continues their run. I am rooting against all the European teams....let's keep the World Cup in the Western Hemisphere!!

Thank God this shits over and we wont have to hear about it for another four years.

Except it's not over. 7 games left to play in this tournament. USA going out will no doubt drop viewership and coverage, but it won't kill it.

And the USA will be hosting the Copa America, South America's largest soccer tournament and the biggest one the USA will have hosted since the '94 World Cup in 2016. And after that, it's on to Russia 2018.

So no, it's not over. Just getting started.

The US could have won it. Wondolowsky missed a glorious chance in added time to win it for the US. But Belgium were the better side. Tim Howard was top class, saving more shots than any other keeper in the World Cup for at least 50 years. And America's goal absolutely fantastic. They had chances at the end of the match but couldn't take them.

So we have four really intriguing matches on the weekend. I'm still picking Brazil v Argentina in the final, but both sides have flattered to deceive. Argentina is playing less than the sum of their parts, and Brazil look disjointed. Brazil plays Colombia. Colombia has been the best side of the tournament. France v Germany looks great too. Holland v Belgium in the semi-final would be fascinating on several levels.

Can't wait!

The US could have won it. Wondolowsky missed a glorious chance in added time to win it for the US. But Belgium were the better side. Tim Howard was top class, saving more shots than any other keeper in the World Cup for at least 50 years. And America's goal absolutely fantastic. They had chances at the end of the match but couldn't take them.

So we have four really intriguing matches on the weekend. I'm still picking Brazil v Argentina in the final, but both sides have flattered to deceive. Argentina is playing less than the sum of their parts, and Brazil look disjointed. Brazil plays Colombia. Colombia has been the best side of the tournament. France v Germany looks great too. Holland v Belgium in the semi-final would be fascinating on several levels.

Can't wait!
Wondo will have nightmares about missing that chip shot.

Tim Howard saved 16 shots means that the USA was defenseless.

So far Costa Rica and Belgium have been the best of the lot.

What kills me about this game is that USA decided to wake up and play ball when they were already in a hole 2-0 down. Can't do that at this level of the game. The tempo they played at between Lukaku's and Green's goals was exactly what we should've come out playing from the 1st minute. Our shape was too defensive and Klinsmann's selections echoed that. Unless he's injured, the decision to remove Beckerman for Cameron is truly baffling for me tactically as Beckerman was what we needed when Belgium was overunning the midfield.

Despite that, I won't blame a single player for what transpired today. They left everything on the pitch and when that happens, we can ask nothing more of them. It's unfortunate that it wasn't enough in the end, but we gotta keep our heads up. This was real progress as this was the best I've seen us play in over 12 years. Just gotta find a higher level and stay there. This showed we have the potential to really make waves at home for the Copa and in Russia in 2018.

Thank God this shits over and we wont have to hear about it for another four years.
Not for me it isn't. I have Brazilian relatives on my wifes' side so I'm gonna' hear about it forever. I played ONE season of Soccer as a kid back in 1972, most boring game I've ever played.

God forbid "Brasil" wins the whole "Kick the Ball in the Net Tournament".

Can't wait!

The Switzerland/Argentina game was great also. The Swiss missed a few opportunities to win the game. Oh well, now that Switzerland and the US are out, I'm pulling for the Dutch.

What kills me about this game is that USA decided to wake up and play ball when they were already in a hole 2-0 down. Can't do that at this level of the game. The tempo they played at between Lukaku's and Green's goals was exactly what we should've come out playing from the 1st minute. Our shape was too defensive and Klinsmann's selections echoed that. Unless he's injured, the decision to remove Beckerman for Cameron is truly baffling for me tactically as Beckerman was what we needed when Belgium was overunning the midfield.

Despite that, I won't blame a single player for what transpired today. They left everything on the pitch and when that happens, we can ask nothing more of them. It's unfortunate that it wasn't enough in the end, but we gotta keep our heads up. This was real progress as this was the best I've seen us play in over 12 years. Just gotta find a higher level and stay there. This showed we have the potential to really make waves at home for the Copa and in Russia in 2018.

The US is getting better, but the skill level is just not there compared to the top countries. While it is true that a lot of American kids are playing soccer now, it's just not the same. When you go to Europe or South America, you see how the kids live and breath the game.

LOL, someone's getting fussy that his little kick-the-ball game is over and will now go back to it's rightful obscurity again!

:lol:

Can't wait!

The Switzerland/Argentina game was great also. The Swiss missed a few opportunities to win the game. Oh well, now that Switzerland and the US are out, I'm pulling for the Dutch.

Argentina not on form. Was hedging for a France - Argentina final (somehow I can see Brazil cocking it up). Looking like France-Holland now. To be honest, although Holland are beautiful to watch this year, I still remember the foul, cheap game they played against Spain in the 2010 final.

Pulsating game, but I really wish we had attacked for the first 100 minutes how we attacked in the last 15. Belgium looked absolutely rocked when we actually got at them. Beckerman getting benched was as puzzling as Geoff Cameron playing defensive midfield, something he's never done at NT level. Just too much tinkering by Klinsmann to a line up that was working just fine. Jogi Loew did the same thing against Algeria and Germany almost blew it. Like Teacher, Like Student it seems.

Tim Howard no doubt played the best game of his career last night. He's been criminally underrated for years now so it's good to see all of the recognition he's received. When you have Belgium's own captain complimenting you on twitter as well as having the guy who scored the winner on you asking for your jersey, that basically confirms how well he played. I still think he has another WC run in him and I surely hope he does too, but USA have a very solid line of keepers behind him in Brad Guzan, Sean Johnson and Bill Hamid. This is the one position we have naturally excelled in over the last 25 years or so.

Forum List

Back