24 Division 1 schools are making money on Sports.

In 41 of the 50 States, the College Football coach was the highest paid state employee.
This is the biggest problem we face in America today, second only to women's pay.

Misplaced priorities are; not sure if the spending on college athletics in and of itself is.

My point is this; if you’re a private school, do whatever you want. If you’re a public school, have athletics if you think it is important but do you have to travel from Louisiana to Florida to get it’s value? Do you need a marching band to travel with you? Do you need to pay offensive and defensive line coaches? Hotels for 100 players, 50 band members, coaches, execs, etc…

Your tax dollars at play.

How much is the school paid for those away games?

The away teams are paid for their travel. Some teams get as much as $500k to $750k for the game.

In 41 of the 50 States, the College Football coach was the highest paid state employee.
This is the biggest problem we face in America today, second only to women's pay.

Misplaced priorities are; not sure if the spending on college athletics in and of itself is.

My point is this; if you’re a private school, do whatever you want. If you’re a public school, have athletics if you think it is important but do you have to travel from Louisiana to Florida to get it’s value? Do you need a marching band to travel with you? Do you need to pay offensive and defensive line coaches? Hotels for 100 players, 50 band members, coaches, execs, etc…

Apparently not enough according to Real Sports.

Apparently not enough according to Real Sports.

For some, anyway.

You need to balance every mens sport with a women's sport. The money makers have to subsidize these sports. In return, potential money making men's sports are disbanded or reduced to club level in order to accommodate women's sports. All in the name of pretending that women are the same as men.
That is a significant part of the problem, but not all. First of all tuitions are scandalous --- they have skyrocketed even worse than the medical industry if that is possible. I cannot say who is to blame but I suspect there are lot of bullshit classes keeping high paid professors employed, there is too much emphasis on image and variety. Who is learning anything valuable going forward these days? Even if they were just liberal bastions, at least get rid of the B.S. and prepare students for decent jobs. It’s just an another wing of bloated government, a curse we cannot cure.

I do not think any student is entitled to sports or band scholarships. We cannot afford the luxury. If these students are paying 25,000 – 50,000 a year to be in college then they can pay $5,000 more to play sports if it’s their fancy. For every student who gets such an enriched life’s experience from being in sports, there are 20 who fail worse on their academics as a result of dedicating enormous amounts of hours to these sports. These sports lose tons of money then the colleges go to their legislatures needing greater funds year after year to run their self-serving monoliths.

Considering the number of professions that require college, you might want to rethink the idea that it is a waste. If the student decides to major in basket weaving, or women's studies, or whatever, that is their fault.

I would love to see any link backing your claim of " For every student who gets such an enriched life’s experience from being in sports, there are 20 who fail worse on their academics as a result of dedicating enormous amounts of hours to these sports". Because the Univ of Alabama football team has a graduation rate of 86%. Here’s College Football’s Top 25, In Order Of Graduation Rate

There is no link. It is my hunch based on how many hours any student has to spend on a sport. They average at least 4 hours a day from the time they leave their dorm to the time they return, don't you think? Not to mention weekends and travel. It is a ton of time that might have been used for their academic responsibilities. And I am not talking about Division 1 football, I am talking about every sport, every college. Be it swimming or rowing or gymnastics or volleyball or a large number of other sports that are totally bankrolled by the colleges because there is no revenue in them.

Graduation rates mean nothing to me. G.P.A. scores might be of some interest, but you need not pursue that line, I am going on what it takes to belong in a sport. A ton of time.

You don't care if students graduate, you don't care if they get good grades, you just insist they spend that time (a figure you just pulled out of your ass) smoking weed or playing video games because that's what you did and because you harbor an arrested-development bitterness toward your physical superiors. Sorry you got dunked in the urinal by the captain of the football team as a child, but it's time to get over it.
I hope you got a laugh out of that post.
Not sure if there was any other value attached to it.

In other words, I was right on the money.

He said only males can learn from sports?

No, you said only males should get funding; he said there is some special lesson you get from sports
Never said that. It's one thing for any sport for either gender to be created with sufficient interest and funding but it's another to mandate a less popular and cost-prohibitive sport at the expense of another more popular and cost effective sport, all in the name of gender equality politics.

So before Title IX, female students at UConn had no interest in basketball but once they opened the gym, boom consecutive National Championships?
U of CT women's basketball is a perfect example of a failure of Title IX and the dated left wing insistence that social differences between men and women are a result of conditioning and not inherent traits.
Since there are only so many excellent female basketball players to choose from (a result of females generally having less of a natural desire to participate in sports), a team like U of CT can corner the market and create a disparity. The three best teams in women's college basketball right now may just be the first, second and third string at U of CT.
Since males are more naturally prone to play sports, the schools have a larger pool of players to choose from and a naturally occurring parity exists.

Good job avoiding the point all together.

You’re saying women have no interest yet, once the gym was unlocked…poof, multiple national championships. Explain where the interest came from please.
It originally came from organization and winning. However, the ridiculous disparity that has developed in recent years is a reflection of the female player pool not being as deep as it is with males.

No, it is not typical. But it does show what CAN be done.

A successful athletic program translates to increased student counts, increased donations from alumni, and increased visibility in all phases of the university's endeavors.

Increased tuitions, increased senses of entitlement on the part of athletes, increased distance away from what universities are meant to do.

Not necessarily. There are top schools who have better graduation rates for their athletes than the national average for all colleges.

How long is a scholastic year; about 36 weeks. College football teams are active for 12 weeks regardless. Six of those weeks are usually spent traveling; sometimes out of the state, out of the time zone, and to play a meaningless game against a non-conference opponent just to satisfy some bizarre desire to see popular teams battle one another. This doesn’t count the practices, the scrimmages, the dinners, etc. And then you get a bowl game that saps even more time away from the library.

It is particularly dumb to think that all of these time demands do not draw attention away from academics. And if what you say is true, the demands certainly are not helpful to surpassing that very surprising outcome.

Meanwhile, according to Real Sports, 24 of the athletic programs in DIV 1 make money. Its easy to see why.

When the Univ of Alabama took the field on New Years Eve, for the first round of the playoffs, we broke an NCAA record. 29 members of the team had already earned their degree. I believe 6 of them had earned their Masters.

How many of the players in this "meaningless game" would be unable to afford a top university, without the scholarship they get?

The team also has tutors and study facilities for the athletes. When they travel, they can still study.

Gee, do other students get such lavish personal attention? I guess the football players pay for it though. Oh wait, silly me, they go to school for free.

Walked right into that one

i guess you never considered that there are many football players who are NOT on scholarship.

Increased tuitions, increased senses of entitlement on the part of athletes, increased distance away from what universities are meant to do.

Not necessarily. There are top schools who have better graduation rates for their athletes than the national average for all colleges.

How long is a scholastic year; about 36 weeks. College football teams are active for 12 weeks regardless. Six of those weeks are usually spent traveling; sometimes out of the state, out of the time zone, and to play a meaningless game against a non-conference opponent just to satisfy some bizarre desire to see popular teams battle one another. This doesn’t count the practices, the scrimmages, the dinners, etc. And then you get a bowl game that saps even more time away from the library.

It is particularly dumb to think that all of these time demands do not draw attention away from academics. And if what you say is true, the demands certainly are not helpful to surpassing that very surprising outcome.

Meanwhile, according to Real Sports, 24 of the athletic programs in DIV 1 make money. Its easy to see why.

When the Univ of Alabama took the field on New Years Eve, for the first round of the playoffs, we broke an NCAA record. 29 members of the team had already earned their degree. I believe 6 of them had earned their Masters.

How many of the players in this "meaningless game" would be unable to afford a top university, without the scholarship they get?

The team also has tutors and study facilities for the athletes. When they travel, they can still study.

Gee, do other students get such lavish personal attention? I guess the football players pay for it though. Oh wait, silly me, they go to school for free.

Walked right into that one

i guess you never considered that there are many football players who are NOT on scholarship.

Of course the vast majority of student-athletes are not on scholarship.

Forum List

Back