3 children die in Bronx fire after candle lit

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
New York (CNN) -- A fire that swept through a Bronx apartment killing three young brothers was caused by a candle and occurred one day after the power company cut off electricity for unpaid bills, officials said Saturday.

Official: 3 kids die in Bronx fire after candle lit - CNN.com

incredibly tragic. the parents will never forgive themselves, but what if there was absolutely nothing they could have done to pay the bills? should the parents be liable for the children lighting the candle and causing the fire? they must not have properly showed their children how to use candles.

i wonder if luddley will make a post in this thread, i mean 3 children died.

i wonder if luddley will make a post in this thread, i mean 3 children died.

Unless the candle was lit with a gun, I wouldn't hold my breath...

sadly, this is true

these deaths will be unremarked by anti gun nutters, though they are tragic, the anti gun nutters do not care about them

They should have been smarter. I mean, it sucks that people died but city folks clearly can't handle situations like these very well. An LED lamp would have been more practical.

They should have been smarter. I mean, it sucks that people died but city folks clearly can't handle situations like these very well. An LED lamp would have been more practical.

the power was turned off because they didn't pay their bills...

I get that. They can't do that down here in the winters. Against the law. I'm not sure what to say.

It's a tragedy. Arguing about who or what is to blame for it is silly.

My girlfriend is a big fan of candles, and it's something I worry about a lot - she'll leave candles burning in the house when she's not home.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

A tragic situation, it can happen to anyone....

"Ms. Frazier and others said the mother doted on her children.

“She made sure they laughed, they played,” Ms. Frazier said. “She did everything a mother should do. But it must have got overwhelming.”

A man who neighbors said was the father of the children arrived on Friday evening as rescue operations were under way. After learning that his family was inside, he tried to run into the building but was blocked by police officers, Ms. Frazier said.

Neighbors said they were alerted to the blaze by the mother’s screams as she stood on the fire escape cradling one of the children. Two men pulled down the fire-escape ladder, neighbors said, and helped the woman and child down. Another person helped rescue a second child, but the flames and smoke grew too intense for anyone to attempt to save the remaining children, witnesses said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/nyregion/fatal-bronx-blaze-was-caused-by-candles.html?_r=0

New York (CNN) -- A fire that swept through a Bronx apartment killing three young brothers was caused by a candle and occurred one day after the power company cut off electricity for unpaid bills, officials said Saturday.

incredibly tragic. the parents will never forgive themselves, but what if there was absolutely nothing they could have done to pay the bills? should the parents be liable for the children lighting the candle and causing the fire? they must not have properly showed their children how to use candles.

Not the parents fault, the power company should have been willing to work out a payment plan for the parents.

Not the parents fault, the power company should have been willing to work out a payment plan for the parents.

The power company did work out a plan for the building and the account was in arrears... a scummy thing to do on the part of the utility

I understand that sometimes, they might not have an option but to switch off the power, but they could have worked with the family, and helped them with cutting the costs of power, something like that.

I understand that sometimes, they might not have an option but to switch off the power, but they could have worked with the family, and helped them with cutting the costs of power, something like that.

I agree with you!

i agree. in CA they have help for people who can't pay their bills. don't know the situation in NY or this family, but seems to me this could have been avoided.

the parents are somewhat at fault as they didn't pay their bills. i agree with the latter.

My girlfriend is a big fan of candles, and it's something I worry about a lot - she'll leave candles burning in the house when she's not home.

do you hold the same views about guns?

do you hold the same views about guns?

That my girlfriend is going to burn the house down with one? No.

we don't know that those were children lighting the candle.
and there were no "parents".
there is only a mother and 5 kids. now 2.
read the story.

Prayers up for those poor people who lost 3 beautiful sons and have precious little daughters in the ICU, and also for all their friends and family members who are full of pain.

In our city years ago, the Power Company offered a support opportunity to customers for those who could not pay their bills. You just added a couple of dollars to the bill, and it was put in a fund and kept lights burning. That's one solution to such a problem, and all it cost them as a little ink, because the bills were going out anyway, and space was made on them for that little pitch.

:eusa_pray:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back