400 million guns

without restriction?

There are 25.000+ laws on the books restricting firearms,

How long have you been in a coma?

We could go a lot farther and nothing in the Constitution actually forbids it; in fact that's what the whole "well-regulated militia" clause would seem to suggest. The 2nd Amendment isn't about individual firearms ownership; it's really akin to what currently exists in Switzerland, with able-bodied people joining as reservists in the militia, getting a military issued weapon, getting trained to use it and getting familiar with it, and maintaining responsible possession of it in case of an insurrection or foreign invasion.

I do think that there's an individual right to keep arms, to go hunting, protect livestock, defend property and life against mortal threats, but that's under the 9th Amendment's rubric of rights left to the people that are otherwise not mentioned elsewhere.

We could go a lot farther and nothing in the Constitution actually forbids it; in fact that's what the whole "well-regulated militia" clause would seem to suggest. The 2nd Amendment isn't about individual firearms ownership; it's really akin to what currently exists in Switzerland, with able-bodied people joining as reservists in the militia, getting a military issued weapon, getting trained to use it and getting familiar with it, and maintaining responsible possession of it in case of an insurrection or foreign invasion.

I do think that there's an individual right to keep arms, to go hunting, protect livestock, defend property and life against mortal threats, but that's under the 9th Amendment's rubric of rights left to the people that are otherwise not mentioned elsewhere.
You really are in a coma, arent' you?

The right to keep an bear arms was give to the people, not the militia.

"...Gun control is like a donut: there is no middle. On the one side you have people who love guns, and if you disagree with them, they’ll threaten to shoot you. On the other side you have people who detest guns, mainly out of fear of getting shot. It is an ideological death-match in which the voices of reason and compromise don’t seem to exist. Or if they do, no one can hear them over the sounds of the shouting and posturing
and the bumper-sticker slogans about cold dead hands." --"Matt" (anonymous) from his review of Adam Winkler's 'Gunfight, the Battle Over the Second Amendment in America"

There are some 400 million guns in America, and if guns were making us safer, we'd be the safest place on earth, which America is not.

That is a fact Republicans cannot reconcile.

And to average republican, I guess that for them, they aren't enough.

Guns deaths have taken the lead in children, and this is a fairly recent development. And, please, no crap about 'well, half those deaths are suicide' because,
simply because that stat isn't caused by fewer guns, let's be clear.

So I hope those of you second amendment 'cold dead hands' types are happy.

It sure isn't for the parents of those dead children whose lives have been ruined by your cherished 'second amendment'.

Personally, though America's second amendment was a necessary component of life in the frontiers of the late 18th century when the nation was founded, they could not have foreseen 233 years into the future to know of a modern urban landscape where weapons could kill hundreds of people in a relatively short period of time, that had they known, it is doubtful they would have confined the second amendment's langage to one compound sentence, whose actual meaning continues to be debated to this day.

It's time for a 28th Amendment to update the 2nd, a vertible 2nd Amendment 2.0, as it were, and as to what the new language would be, I'll let you guys duke it out, but it needs to be updated,

It's time.

Cheers,
Rumpole
With all those guns, one would think there would be more gun violence. Apparently the vast majority of gun owners don't use their guns to harm other humans.

America will always be a gun culture, but we can reduce the level of violence. The only way to do that, though, is to reduce the number of guns. In today's climate, and with Republican control of the courts and legislatures (through gerrymandering), I don't see any changes anytime soon. So I guess we'll just keep bleeding.
Define 'gun culture.' Reducing the number of guns will concentrate them in the hands of criminals. BTW, did you know a gun cannot do anything on its own?

The 2nd Amendment says "right to keep and bear arms"; it doesn't say guns, and it doesn't say that every person has the right to keep and bear any and all arms without restriction.

The " shall not be infringed." sort of covers restrictions, would you not say?

We don't need a 28th Amendment; we need a federal judiciary that isn't so blatantly corrupt and compromised by special interest money as it has been since 2000. One that would reverse every single goddamned conservative majority decision since 2000. That, too, is a fantasy, but that would be the solution to this and other con-law debates: a judicial restoration, let's call it.

Not asking for a radical lefty court, just a moderate court that would render decisions based on actual legal scholarship instead of ranting about things that aren't even germane to the subject being discussed a la Alito.
thats the definition of a stacked corrupt judiciary,,

traditional constitutional conservatives is what the court is supposed to be made up of not radical leftists,,

You really are in a coma, arent' you?

The right to keep an bear arms was give to the people, not the militia.

But in those times, the militia consisted of the people. The idea of a militia in 1788 was several-fold:

* protection against armed uprisings
* keep slaves and natives under control
* deter abuses of power by a strong, central authority

...and I suppose other things.

The militia were ordinary individual people, but the militia didn't necessarily consist of every individual person - only those who were fit for the purpose of participating in it.

thats the definition of a stacked corrupt judiciary,,

traditional constitutional conservatives is what the court is supposed to be made up of not radical leftists,,

Nah, your Federalist judges are on the take - that is a fact that is becoming evident more and more by the day. And they were put their by corrupt, well-financed political interest groups.

Nah, your Federalist judges are on the take - that is a fact that is becoming evident more and more by the day. And they were put their by corrupt, well-financed political interest groups.
of course you have proof of that,,
\

Gunnutter, I am on the reserve list to confiscate weapons when the time comes.

knock knock

who is there?
BoostedHayabusa, I am taking your guns :dance:

It is way past time. The party is over. Time to collect take your guns.
Just wanted everyone to know that this triggered a certain party so much they harassed me via PM :fu:

It's time for a 28th Amendment to update.
I would like to solve this puzzle

SEIZE.JPG

But in those times, the militia consisted of the people. The idea of a militia in 1788 was several-fold:

* protection against armed uprisings
* keep slaves and natives under control
* deter abuses of power by a strong, central authority

...and I suppose other things.

The militia were ordinary individual people, but the militia didn't necessarily consist of every individual person - only those who were fit for the purpose of participating in it.

Do some homework.

States set the standards for militia members, and the standards for most were what I posted above.

NO females, no cripples , no mentally defective, with one exception, no one over 45, (one state allowed males up to the age of 57, don't remember which one)

Juust because some guy said in a speech that we were ALL militia didn't make it so.

Logical Americans want to take illegal firearms off the street and prosecute offenders but lefties would rather use the statistics as a political tool. About 19,000 Americans were murdered by firearms in the U.S. in 2021 while about 80,000 Americans died from Fentenyl overdoses during the same period. Fentenyl is manufactured in China and brought into the U.S. through the open southern borders. Logical Americans would rather close the borders but lefties ignore the outrageous number of Fentenyl deaths in order to protect a doddering old fool who doesn't have a freaking clue.

Logical Americans want to take illegal firearms off the street and prosecute offenders but lefties would rather use the statistics as a political tool. About 19,000 Americans were murdered by firearms in the U.S. in 2021 while about 80,000 Americans died from Fentenyl overdoses during the same period. Fentenyl is manufactured in China and brought into the U.S. through the open southern borders. Logical Americans would rather close the borders but lefties ignore the outrageous number of Fentenyl deaths in order to protect a doddering old fool who doesn't have a freaking clue.

And the only reason we had those 19,000 murders...up from the average of about 10,000............and even those 10,000 are a direct result of the policies of the democrat party.....attacking the police, and releasing violent criminals......

The democrat party wants the murder in these cities they control.......

Do some homework.

States set the standards for militia members, and the standards for most were what I posted above.

NO females, no cripples , no mentally defective, with one exception, no one over 45, (one state allowed males up to the age of 57, don't remember which one)

Juust because some guy said in a speech that we were ALL militia didn't make it so.

What part of "but the militia didn't necessarily consist of every individual person..." did you not understand? Which word threw you off?

Nobody's saying that it is.

If you put X number of guns in the population and X number of people are people who are either mentally disturbed or who are growing up in an unstable environment, then you can expect gun violence. 80% of all murders are committed with firearms.

There is something you can do about this, directly. If you want to reduce the number of guns in circulation, then you can start by taking your guns and turning them in.

Why is it dems won’t do that? If you want to reduce the number of guns, you can have an immediate and direct impact on that.

So tell me, why don’t we see dems lining up to turn in their guns?

I’ve asked this at least twice in this very thread, no dems want to answer….

There is something you can do about this, directly. If you want to reduce the number of guns in circulation, then you can start by taking your guns and turning them in.

Why is it dems won’t do that? If you want to reduce the number of guns, you can have an immediate and direct impact on that.

So tell me, why don’t we see dems lining up to turn in their guns?

I’ve asked this at least twice in this very thread, no dems want to answer….

Because maybe they don't have guns in the first place or, more likely, they think it's a stupid question.

Because maybe they don't have guns in the first place or, more likely, they think it's a stupid question.
You’re telling me that democrats don’t own guns??

And it’s not a stupid question, it’s an exactly relevant and legitimate question. You want to reduce the number of guns, you all can do that tomorrow, so why don’t you?

Forum List

Back