41% of Baltimore high schoolers have a GPA below 1.0

So, what is your solution to this problem?

Give them passing grades even though they learned nothing?

Throw them out of school? Yeah, that will show them.

I had many students who simply refused to learn. They rarely attended class and when they did it was to sell drugs. Others came to hang out with their baby momma to be.

Again, what is YOUR solution?
It's a complex problem that requires multiple solutions. The breakdown of inner city society is the biggest problem in places like Baltimore and until we decide to fix that, I'm not sure the schools can be expected to improve that much. However, I do think one way to improve public schooling is to stop making it compulsory.

Right! You want to unleash hordes of drug dealers and criminals out on the streets at an early age.

What if your child decided that they wanted to drop out of first grade, would that be OK with you?

Many school districts did allow students to drop out as young as 16 with parent permission, but have now raised that to 18 because the drop-out rate was abysmal.

Based on the abysmal education they are receiving I would say no problem. Better a home schooled kid with brains and critical thinking skills than a indoctrinated clown.
You realize your reply has nothing to do with what I posted. If you are not going to address the points I raised, please don't quote me.

If you don't see how my post ANSWERS yours. Then you have no business teaching anyone, anything.
Did I mention homeschooling? Of course not! How is your post relative to mine if I never mentioned what you said in your response?

Like I said, if you can't understand the answer I gave, then you have no business teaching anything, to anyone.
My response still stands. You went off on a tangent about homeschooling. How does that address my post?

I had many students who simply refused to learn. They rarely attended class and when they did it was to sell drugs. Others came to hang out with their baby momma to be.

It's a complex problem that requires multiple solutions. The breakdown of inner city society is the biggest problem in places like Baltimore and until we decide to fix that, I'm not sure the schools can be expected to improve that much. However, I do think one way to improve public schooling is to stop making it compulsory.

Right! You want to unleash hordes of drug dealers and criminals out on the streets at an early age.

What if your child decided that they wanted to drop out of first grade, would that be OK with you?

Many school districts did allow students to drop out as young as 16 with parent permission, but have now raised that to 18 because the drop-out rate was abysmal.

Based on the abysmal education they are receiving I would say no problem. Better a home schooled kid with brains and critical thinking skills than a indoctrinated clown.
Was the broad brush store open late last night?

But then again, what is the solution for this situation? It is hardly an educational system has any use if it leaves almost a half of the students illiterate.

That is the problem you have with your local schools.
Okay, but nevertheless the question still remains. The kids aren't interested in education and basically don't get it. Who is 'guilty' of that? Teachers, parents, society as a whole? And what first steps should be to improve this situation?
It isn't the teachers. My personal opinion it is society as a whole.

When they were nominating the court for homecoming king and queen for my high school in the early 2000s, they broadcast it for everyone to see on our CCTV. Being a very large school, there were about 40 couples nominated. They introduced the young ladies, followed by her parents names, and then followed the same way for the young men. Of the 40 couple, I would estimate that 35 or so both had two sets of parents for each student.

It would be like "Couple #3, Jane Doe, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Will Smith, and Mr. and Mrs. Dill Doe. Jack Horner, son of Ms. Sugar Brown and Mr. and Mrs. Meso Horner."

Divorce and single parents are ruining our children.
And the main question remains. What should be done to improve the situation?

In my personal view, taking into consideration declining family standards and education loosing its prestige in the society, there aren't too many choices.

Maybe one of them is picking kids considering their intellectual level and the ability and desire to learn and form special schools and classes for these talented pupils. With emphasis on mathematics and science in curriculum. Anyway, the country will need good engineers, doctors, scientists etc.

But, as it seems to me, the US are heading in the opposite direction in this regard.

With the democrat party drumming home the theme that blacks are just too stupid to procur an i.d., why would any black person bite the hand that feeds them by actually getting an education?
"Procure an I.D."
Damn is that ever the right way to put it. There's a U.S. Department of State chock-a-block full of pimps and procurators, panderers and solicitors, attorneys at law with backroom access to state bar associations and courthouses where they practice their "statecraft" and "tradecraft" in true James Bond style with Miss Moneypenny hard at work with her legs crossed in a strictly sex-segregated office, short skirt, nylon stockings and high heels. Mr. Bond there damn near an alcoholic never known to pass up a shot of liquor or two with the guys after work.

Democratic Party requires stupid uneducated people to survive.

Exhibit 33,428 on how Democrats run Publik Edjewkation

oh yes.....I believe that...I totally and absolutely believe that.

the more morons the Rats have the better.

America is going down my friends......down....down...down....

Well. . . since the parents no longer, obviously give a damn. . .

*cough* As soon as the children are old enough to understand consequences and behavioral ramifications, make education a privilege, not a chore. . . and redesign the system to the individual talents of the students.

Any kid that doesn't want to be there? Dismiss them.

If they then get into trouble out in the larger world and their parents do not do a good job educating them, or looking after them, either hold the parents accountable, or execute the child. :heehee:

But then again, what is the solution for this situation? It is hardly an educational system has any use if it leaves almost a half of the students illiterate.

That is the problem you have with your local schools.
Okay, but nevertheless the question still remains. The kids aren't interested in education and basically don't get it. Who is 'guilty' of that? Teachers, parents, society as a whole? And what first steps should be to improve this situation?
It isn't the teachers. My personal opinion it is society as a whole.

When they were nominating the court for homecoming king and queen for my high school in the early 2000s, they broadcast it for everyone to see on our CCTV. Being a very large school, there were about 40 couples nominated. They introduced the young ladies, followed by her parents names, and then followed the same way for the young men. Of the 40 couple, I would estimate that 35 or so both had two sets of parents for each student.

It would be like "Couple #3, Jane Doe, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Will Smith, and Mr. and Mrs. Dill Doe. Jack Horner, son of Ms. Sugar Brown and Mr. and Mrs. Meso Horner."

Divorce and single parents are ruining our children.

In my personal view, taking into consideration declining family standards and education loosing its prestige in the society, there aren't too many choices.

Maybe one of them is picking kids considering their intellectual level and the ability and desire to learn and form special schools and classes for these talented pupils. With emphasis on mathematics and science in curriculum. Anyway, the country will need good engineers, doctors, scientists etc.

But, as it seems to me, the US are heading in the opposite direction in this regard.

A system similar to what you are describing had been used in some European countries. They tested the kids when they were 13(?) years old to establish whether the youth should continue on an academic path or be moved to a vocational/trade school. The general idea should be revisited to allow each student the possibility of leaving school with skills that they can put to use.

I suppose you have never heard of magnet schools?

Indeed, I hadn't. I read about them a little bit, thanks. Yes, that is similar to what I meant.

Are these schools supposed to function in the future too? From what I have read on this forum, I can draw a conclusion that some reform is underway to abolish such 'privileged' schools and classes and overall to lower the standards of teaching mathematics and science.

That is being done to make sure pupils from some groups won't feel themselves discriminated and sidelined. I hope I got something wrong and that isn't completely true.

The big push lately in education in the real world is to begin teaching algebra in earlier grades.

Don't worry...the Baltimore Educators have a simple solution. In the name of equality of outcomes ...everyone gets an A.

Problem solved.

Indeed, I hadn't. I read about them a little bit, thanks. Yes, that is similar to what I meant.

Are these schools supposed to function in the future too? From what I have read on this forum, I can draw a conclusion that some reform is underway to abolish such 'privileged' schools and classes and overall to lower the standards of teaching mathematics and science.

That is being done to make sure pupils from some groups won't feel themselves discriminated and sidelined. I hope I got something wrong and that isn't completely true.

Thee school have existed for decades. Why would they not be used in the future? The lowering of standards has occurred in one state of which I am aware.

Like most people who are unfamiliar with modern public school education, the broad brush is very easy to use.

I taught in two state and for the DoD. All were excellent school systems except the one in a liberal dominated major city. The school I worked for ranked last in the state for middle schools. Even that school was a magnet program in that it was a boys-only public school.

Don't worry...the Baltimore Educators have a simple solution. In the name of equality of outcomes ...everyone gets an A.

Problem solved.
A completely ignorant statement on your part, since nothing like that exists or has been proposed.

Tell me your solution to the problem.

I went to a magnet school in a low income neighborhood.

How is artificially inflating a schools gpa average by busing in high gpa students from every corner of the district to one school doing anything but masking failure?

Discipline. The entire public school system needs to be overhauled. Teacher accountability, student discipline, kick out the unions.

My response still stands. You went off on a tangent about homeschooling. How does that address my post?
You cannot expect the school to parent. If those that are bringing these kids into this world do not parent, by instilling the importance of education, discipline, accountability, hard work, and responsibility into their children then they will continue to take the path of crime, drugs, and teenage pregnancy,. Based on what is happening in society today and the behaviors exhibited, we have at least another generation of lost souls.

Forum List

Back