61% of Young Republicans Support Gay Marriage

Marriage should simply disappear as a State matter. Marriage should be left to the church where it belongs.

No one is stopping anyone from getting a church wedding. The issue is not church weddings the issue is marriage license, which is a contract. What good would contracts be if there's no law or legal purpose to the contract?

Marriage should simply disappear as a State matter. Marriage should be left to the church where it belongs.

Well, the Church should have never asked the for the state's stamp of approval for the sacrament of marriage. They should have insisted then on the the separation of Church and state as Jesus recommended when he said, "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's. Give unto God what is God's."

Separation of Church and state protects the Church more than it protects the state.

But the state needed an institution to settle inheritance issues and the Church gladly handed over marriage.

What church asked the state to take over sacrament of marriage? Huh?

Well, the Church should have never asked the for the state's stamp of approval for the sacrament of marriage. They should have insisted then on the the separation of Church and state as Jesus recommended when he said, "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's. Give unto God what is God's."

Separation of Church and state protects the Church more than it protects the state.

But the state needed an institution to settle inheritance issues and the Church gladly handed over marriage.

Marriage has always been a property issue and property rights have always been in the government realm. Religion gets more or less involved from culture to culture and from time to time but if anything it was religion who tried to steal a government practice, not the other way around.

Marriage predates governments. It was a way of expanding your workforce and making alliances.

My bad - they didn't ask. They just sat back and handed it over.

My bad - they didn't ask. They just sat back and handed it over.

Huh?

You are confusing wedding, and more particularly religious ceremony, with marriage license. Two completely different things.

Marriage has always been a property issue and property rights have always been in the government realm. Religion gets more or less involved from culture to culture and from time to time but if anything it was religion who tried to steal a government practice, not the other way around.

Marriage predates governments. It was a way of expanding your workforce and making alliances.

Marriage predates any modern religion and exists independent of religion. It is an early example of property law. Once you have marriage you just need some sort of enforcement mechanism and you have a primitive government. Any given culture may or may not to decide to make it religious or not.

Would mind explaining a little more clearly what you mean by this statement to prevent confusion?

Do you mean that there would be no recognition of Religious Marriages by the government, that all people would be considered "single" for all legal matters like taxes, property, medical decisions couldn't be made under the law for a spouse without a separate medical power of attorney, that there would be no spousal housing for military families if they didn't have children (no medical for spouses also), etc., etc.?

or

Do you mean that the government would recognize all Religious Weddings equally. That means that the government would recognize in all 50 states a Marriage Certificate issued to a Same-sex couple by a Church equally with a Marriage Certificate issued to a different-sex couple by a Church?

>>>>

Would mind explaining a little more clearly what you mean by this statement to prevent confusion?

Do you mean that there would be no recognition of Religious Marriages by the government, that all people would be considered "single" for all legal matters like taxes, property, medical decisions couldn't be made under the law for a spouse without a separate medical power of attorney, that there would be no spousal housing for military families if they didn't have children (no medical for spouses also), etc., etc.?

or

Do you mean that the government would recognize all Religious Weddings equally. That means that the government would recognize in all 50 states a Marriage Certificate issued to a Same-sex couple by a Church equally with a Marriage Certificate issued to a different-sex couple by a Church?

>>>>

Not speaking for Pops but I think he means the government only issues civil unions (or something like that) - to legally join any two adults who want to get one (same sex/opposite sex), and then leave "marriage" to be defined privately.

No one is stopping anyone from getting a church wedding. The issue is not church weddings the issue is marriage license, which is a contract. What good would contracts be if there's no law or legal purpose to the contract?

All is needed is a notarized document. Civil union for all. Marriage is a religious issue.

or

>>>>

Not speaking for Pops but I think he means the government only issues civil unions (or something like that) - to legally join any two adults who want to get one (same sex/opposite sex), and then leave "marriage" to be defined privately.

Yep

Good, that will solve the problem of my wanting a civil union with my grandfather. That's normal, right? We'd want that to be a social icon, right? :cuckoo:

Good, that will solve the problem of my wanting a civil union with my grandfather. That's normal, right? We'd want that to be a social icon, right? :cuckoo:

Why... uh... would you want to do a civil union with your grandfather?

Does it really matter?

Does it really matter?

Exactly. Once you kick the barn door open for LGBTers to "civil marry" [think about the mechanics behind LGBT] would you really be squeamish about my theoretical arrangement? On what grounds? That' it's icky?

Plus, hey, grandpa is loaded with cash. Who wouldn't be "in love"... I hope my points are being made...

or

>>>>

Yep

OK, as long as that applies equally I could agree to that. Everyone would still call it marriage anyway and in a generation or two they'd just be merged back together anyway.

But I could get on board with that idea.

>>>>

So much for the bigotry or homogenous thinking on in the GOP!

I welcome this since I view myself as a conservative who supports gay marriage!

Yep luckily the old homophobic people are now dying off.

Now republicans can focus on improving their understanding of economics and stop watching Fox News.

So much for the bigotry or homogenous thinking on in the GOP!

I welcome this since I view myself as a conservative who supports gay marriage!

Gay marriage being legal in every state is inevitable. I'd say 20 years max.

To my conservative friends who oppose; stop fighting it and use the resources and time you do have doing something worthwhile (like fixing the economy).

By all means. We want the party that got us in this crummy economy in the first place to fix it.

Forum List

Back