9-year-old died by suicide after he was bullied

So sad. I saw his mom interviewed about this. Bullying must stop.

9-year-old died by suicide after he was bullied, mom says - CNN

(CNN)A 9-year-old boy in Colorado took his life days after starting the fourth grade last week. He had recently come out as gay to his mother, who believes that bullying was a factor in his death, she told HLN's Mike Galanos on Tuesday.

"The same kids who picked on him last year were even meaner to him once he came out and said he was gay," said Leia Pierce, Jamel Myles' mother. "They hurt my baby."
Denver Police said that Jamel's death appears to be a suicide.
<more>
Htf do you die by suicide?

Yeah I have just learned that it's no longer PC to say "committed suicide". "Committed" is some kind of criminal word or something--I don't know. But you can't say that anymore.

Who knew.

People on here excusing and minimising bullying behaviour that led a child to kill himself. Its not difficult to imagine the numpties on this thread as former bullies themselves.
Worse yet are the idiots that think homosexuals and pedophiles are the same thing. Just when you think these cretins have all been stuffed and placed in museums...….

(CNN)A 9-year-old boy in Colorado took his life days after starting the fourth grade last week. He had recently come out as gay to his mother, who believes that bullying was a factor in his death, she told HLN's Mike Galanos on Tuesday.

"The same kids who picked on him last year were even meaner to him once he came out and said he was gay," said Leia Pierce, Jamel Myles' mother. "They hurt my baby."
<more>

Here's another tragic fact of Jamel's life: it seems from reading a couple articles on him, there was no father in the picture. An active, present, caring father would have offered, I think, the guidance NOT to come out to his peers, because the father would himself have been a 9 year old boy once.

All these boys being raised by single mothers. It's tragic. Leftists convinced us no one needs dads. How wrong, how wrong they were, and are. I don't blame Jamel's mother for this. She's been fed lie after lie after lie....

<more>

Have you noticed the amount of people on a forum like this who try bullying?

It's a problem within society.

<more>

Here's another tragic fact of Jamel's life: it seems from reading a couple articles on him, there was no father in the picture. An active, present, caring father would have offered, I think, the guidance NOT to come out to his peers, because the father would himself have been a 9 year old boy once.

All these boys being raised by single mothers. It's tragic. Leftists convinced us no one needs dads. How wrong, how wrong they were, and are. I don't blame Jamel's mother for this. She's been fed lie after lie after lie....
Uh....I`m a leftist and I say you`re full of shit unless you can back up your claim that I don`t think children need fathers. Show us what you got sue.

<more>

A mother has a distinct role in a child's life and upbringing just as a father does. A child needs both in their lives.

A huge part of what is wrong with society is the breakdown of family units.

<more>

Uh....I`m a leftist and I say you`re full of shit unless you can back up your claim that I don`t think children need fathers. Show us what you got sue.

Wow, that was too easy. And it's been going on since the 60s....

There’s Nothing Dysfunctional About Single Motherhood - Democracy Alliance

<more>

More?

There's Nothing Dysfunctional About Single Motherhood | HuffPost

<more>

Oh, more? How many more you want?

Another explanation is historical. "Liberals have been at the forefront of challenging all sorts of tradition as being oppressive," Hymowitz said. "That included the sexual revolution, feminism, and, of course, the gay revolution. Because the left is so identified with those themes, it becomes very difficult to propose that the break-down of the family has not worked very well, particularly for those groups the left professes to be most concerned about" -- i.e., groups like poor, single mothers.

But perhaps women need this conversation most of all. Experts believe the rising number of single mothers among lower- to middle-class women will create new challenges for those women, their children, and their communities, but the intertwined history of left-leaning politics and feminism makes it difficult for leaders to call out the problem. "Mainstream and more radical feminist groups are very uneasy with this topic, because they're concerned about questioning women's choices. They are [also] concerned about the history of domestic abuse and creating an environment where it's more difficult to talk about that and address that," Hymowitz says.

Why Is It Hard for Liberals to Talk About 'Family Values'? - The Atlantic

<more>

Oh looky, another one!!!

Marriage is not antidote to poverty - CNN

<more>

Those are opinion pieces sue and they don`t speak for me who has been married for 36 years to the same woman. Tell me why I don`t believe children need a father. Are you making the claim that white conservatives living in trailer parks all have loving fathers / husbands?

<more>

Here, last one, about how Progressives have been comfortable decoupling child-rearing from marriage since the 60s which is obvious to EVERYONE:

Why Are Progressives Comfortable Decoupling Childrearing from Marriage?

<more>

Those are opinion pieces sue and they don`t speak for me who has been married for 36 years to the same woman. Tell me why I don`t believe children need a father. Are you making the claim that white conservatives living in trailer parks all have loving fathers / husbands?

I don't care what YOU think individually; you belong to an ideology that upholds the belief that single mothers will do just as well as fathers and mothers. You don't like that, then you're in the wrong ideology. That's it then.

In my opinion the problem lays with todays parenting.

The parents constantly tell little Johnny he is the best, the smartest, and is perfect. Let him play in sports where everyone gets a trophy and tell him he is the best player on the team.

Then when little Johnny figures out that he isn't the smartest kid in class and in reality sucks at playing sports. That his parents have lied, and he's just a normal average kid.

Little Johnny's world is shattered and he becomes suicidal. ..... :cool:

The parents constantly tell little Johnny he is the best, the smartest, and is perfect. Let him play in sports where everyone gets a trophy and tell him he is the best player on the team.

Then when little Johnny figures out that he isn't the smartest kid in class and in reality sucks at playing sports. That his parents have lied, and he's just a normal average kid.

Mhm....look at the millienals...life hit them like a freight train because they were not prepared for it

<more>

I don't care what YOU think individually; you belong to an ideology that upholds the belief that single mothers will do just as well as fathers and mothers. You don't like that, then you're in the wrong ideology. That's it then.

His obfuscation on this issue is either insane or dishonest.

Can you please come be a parent at my school. And bring a lot of your friends who think like you. :)

Actually though, in this case that doesn't sound like this was the situation. HOWEVER, I did research this summer and what you mention above has led to much of the "mental health crisis" we see in teens and young adults, including anxiety and depression. Kids are not tasked with doing truly difficult, challenging things and, as a result, cannot handle failure.

Paired with that, they have few true responsibilities. I mean look at that little homeschooled girl walking her dog around the block. The cops were called on her. Honest to Pete, MORE kids need chores like that. And IMO, every teen should have a job, paid employment NOT affiliated with family. My own kids, aged 19 and 21, gained so much responsibility and maturity from that.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

Mhm....look at the millienals...life hit them like a freight train because they were not prepared for it

I took my daughter to college orientation this summer. About 75% of the presentation for the parents was basically How To Let Buttercup Go. That Your Kiddo Is An Adult Now and etc.

And yes, on the social media parents' group, they still call their adult children "Kiddos". It's enough to make me puke...or drink wine. heh

“Pierce said her son came out as gay this summer and began wearing fake fingernails on Aug. 20, the first day at school”

Joe Shoemaker Elementary student reportedly commits suicide

Really, why would a parent and school staff allow (?encourage) this in a 9 year old boy whom the mother claims was ALREADY being bullied???

To me it is a sure sign of ignorance, at least on the mother's part. Seeing Gay Pride being celebrated everywhere--and apparently knowing nothing about 9 yr old boys--she thought surely her son would be celebrated too. At that point, the school staff's hands were basically tied. Student "identity" is such as sensitive topic that, I imagine, once the student had already shared they couldn't tell him he shouldn't have done that. If the mother had insight and had taken him in for some counseling/advice, THEN they most likely would have advised him to tread carefully.

As an aside, Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a true feminist hero. So of course, "feminists" hate her. Have you ever read articles or listened to Camille Paglia? I don't agree with her on everything, but she is an old-school feminist liberal who kicks all this 21st century garbage in the butt routinely!

Forum List

Back