A $305 Billion Highway Deal in Congress

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
lead_large.jpg

Does this mean the overhaul of bridges about to fall down? Repair of that freeway you have to suffer through traveling to get o work? Or other boondoggles that get built and then never used? Or used for a while and then shut down because they weren't needed in the first place?

Read the story @ A $305 Billion Highway Deal in Congress

I thought that second or third trillion was for shovel ready bridge fixin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Let us hope its to fix the infrastructure but with Congress and all the add ons to any bill you never know. That money could be diverted to who knows where and for what.

Since its Christmas I suspect the bill will look like a Christmas tree with all the add ons. Gotta bring home the bacon to your district.

lead_large.jpg

Does this mean the overhaul of bridges about to fall down? Repair of that freeway you have to suffer through traveling to get o work? Or other boondoggles that get built and then never used? Or used for a while and then shut down because they weren't needed in the first place?

Apologies longknife. Didn't see your thread and I duplicated by mistake. I'll let mine fall off the page.

Any building project is considered "pork"

So that 305 billion dollars in pork or a slab of pig.

Did you know that the human body could not survive with out some fatty tissue?

$305 billion is a drop in the bucket

We need to invest a trillion or more in our infrastructure. Not just roads and bridges but mass transit, communications, water and power infrastructure. We have been ignoring it for decades

You know, a directory of what is needed/wanted in each district could help distribute earmarks in a more practical way.

Sorry, rightwinger

But the amount of spending you are talking about will need several years to complete and assuredly will increase the necessary budget for maintenance.

I don't want to make this a long post but legislating the money never solves the problem!

Look at how the money is allocated and then the ridiculous bidding process before a contract is let out. They want the company that's the cheapest - not the best!

It can be done right. Believe it or not, a great example took place in California. After a major earthquake destroyed a major freeway, the state decided to get smart. They hired the best company and gave it the incentive of bonuses for every day they worked faster!

In the end, the project was completed safely and up to standard in less than half the time planned!

You know, a directory of what is needed/wanted in each district could help distribute earmarks in a more practical way.

Sorry, rightwinger

But the amount of spending you are talking about will need several years to complete and assuredly will increase the necessary budget for maintenance.

It sure will and it is long overdue

As bad as our roads and bridges are......our power grid and communications infrastructure are worse

We need to invest a trillion or more in our infrastructure. Not just roads and bridges but mass transit, communications, water and power infrastructure. We have been ignoring it for decades
Communications, water, and power should be built by private industry.

Hell, our "mass transit" system was initially built by private industry. Steam boats, then railroads. And it led to a massive industrial explosion of our economy.

Hell, our "mass transit" system was initially built by private industry. Steam boats, then railroads.

At the local level

But the overall national power and communications grid needs to be planned at the federal level

I know Republicans hate to hear it. But the distribution of water will become a national crisis as climate change takes hold

Totally disagree. The feds are only good at war. Get rid of just about all federal agencies and give the power back to the states. Let nrw york deal with their unions while we in the south build some sweet roads.

lead_large.jpg

The Bank of Boeing and GE is back in business with this deal I see...

Hell, our "mass transit" system was initially built by private industry. Steam boats, then railroads.

At the local level

But the overall national power and communications grid needs to be planned at the federal level

I know Republicans hate to hear it. But the distribution of water will become a national crisis as climate change takes hold

Don't see the power grid being protected or addressed in this bill either by a Electrical magnetic pulse , come on it would only cost a few billion.

The Threat to Melt the Electric Grid

Totally disagree. The feds are only good at war. Get rid of just about all federal agencies and give the power back to the states. Let nrw york deal with their unions while we in the south build some sweet roads.

The states are petty and would bicker over who does what and what the master plan would be. Cheap states would not want to pay their part or do something that benefits others more than themselves

Forum List

Back