A government of the people, by the people, for the people

Check all statements that you believe to be true re the U.S. government:

• The U.S. federal government should not dispense charity, benevolence, or benefit of any kind.

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • The U.S. federal government is right to dispense benevolence.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • The U.S. federal government has no power to order what sort of society the people will have.

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • The U.S. federal government is within its jurisdiction to order what values the people will respect.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • The U.S. federal government is right to borrow/print money for the common welfare.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • The U.S. federal government is limited re providing the common welfare.

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • The U.S. federal government violates rights via income redistribution.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • The U.S. federal government violates no rights via forced income redistribution.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • A free people govern themselves.

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • A free people are governed.

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
The Tea Party, because of its dysfunctional nature and inability to corral the less reputable elements, has done a great job in diminishing, marginalizing, discrediting, and demonizing itself. Both left and right wing media have been effective in doing so. The Tea Party is obviously not the answer.

The answer is common civic virtue, in which a multitude of Americans exercise thoughtfully their voting rights to elect good, effective legislators. That has not happened in a long time.

Civic virtue? Morality?

Na, all we need is to elect the right man as president to run our lives and the rest of the world and try to give him as much power as humanly possible to get things done, that is the answer!!! :lol:

Not religious values, Votto, but civic virtue, an informed and enlightened electorate trying to find the best legislators. Read your Madison.

The state and local government is assumed to be social contract agreed to by the majority of the people. There is much to be debated on the scope of such government, but the Founders assumed no authority over that so long as the local governments infringed on the rights of nobody else. In other words the Commonwealth of Massuchusetts would have no ability to force its idea of good, evil, right, wrong, justice, injustice on the other states. And if the people of a state wanted a Puritanical theocracy, they could have that. If they wanted a wild, wooly hellfire society, they could have that.

The Founders believe there was no freedom at all if people had no ability to get it wrong, to make mistakes, to do it poorly. And they also believed in the vritue of freedom that a free people would eventually work out the problems and injustices and would get it right. But it was their life to live. Their choices to make. And the federal government would have no power over that.

It is assumed to be a social contract? I fail to see how it is any more of a social contract than the federal government, nor do I see a distinction of power imposed simply because of the source of the power.

Clearly the founding fathers did have a problem with state governments doing what they pleased. A state cannot take away your freedom of speech or religion, it can't imprison you without trial, it can't hang you up by your thumbs and roast you over a slow fire. At no time during the entire history of the United States, including the era controlled entirely by the founders, did the federal government see itself as so constrained.

I have to go back to my original question. The federal government is in place in full accordance with the Constitution. So what exactly is it you are proposing?

But as the Founders saw it, the states could (and did) do all those things. The Puritan theocracy that put people in stocks for heresy was perfectly legal under federal law. The federal government was prohibited by the Constitution from doing that, but not the states. The Salem Witch trials were perfectly legal under federal law. The federal government was prohibited by the Constitution from doing that but not the states.

As it was, a free people, unhindered and unpressed by any monarch, Pope, or other central authority, voluntarily dismantled those theocracies, made the burning of witches illegal, etc. etc. etc. The point is, the federal government then, as it was intended to do, allowed the people freedom to form whatever sort of societies they wished to have.

Yes, the Constitution itself is a social contract. One that allows the federal government specific powers and was intended to prevent it from having any other powers. The federal government was to secure our rights to order our own lives as we saw fit and then leave us alone to live them. And that included not dictating what sort of social contract the states, counties, communities, or any other entity would adopt.

The examples you are providing predated the Constitution.

How do you think the founders expected to secure our rights if they thought the states were free to take away those rights?

I continue to return to my question. What is it you are proposing? The federal government clearly does not agree with you. It has never agreed with you. What you are saying is counter to established law in this country. So what are you suggesting be done?

Teddy Roosevelt didn't start this idea, it was started with Hamilton and our first president, Washington and concerned the bank, tariffs, and a host of issues. Hamilton said the government must have the means adequate to its ends. Where, for example, was it written that government must help business, but laws were passed in the Washington adminisration doing just that. Then the Marshall Court, beginning with the second president, Adams, deciding the Supreme Court had the power to decide what the constitution meant, but nowhere was this deciding power given to the Court in the constitution. They just decided it on their very own. Even Jefferson the strict interpreter of the constitution bought Louisiana clearly not authorized by the constitution. And on and on.

First, the Constitution does give the deciding power to the SC. I refer you to Article 3, Section 2.

What you are saying is that the founding fathers, the men who wrote and enacted the Constitution, did not agree with your interpretation.

No, I am saying that the writers of the constitution failed to designate in the constitution that the Supreme Court was to decide the constitutionality of laws, acts of the congress, states or the executive. The wording for that power is simply not in the constitution. The Court under Marshall decided that in the most famous court case, Marbury v. Madison.

I again refer you to Article 3, Section 2. It is not unclear. "The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution,..." Marbury simply clarified that language, it did not create the authority.

As one of the primary FFs, Hamilton, said in the federalist papers:

The courts were designed to be an intermediate body between the people and the legislature, in order, among other things, to keep the latter within the limits assigned to their authority. The interpretation of the laws is the proper and peculiar province of the courts. A constitution is, in fact, and must be regarded by the judges as, a fundamental law. It, therefore, belongs to them to ascertain its meaning, as well as the meaning of any particular act proceeding from the legislative body. If there should happen to be an irreconcilable variance between the two, that which has the superior obligation and validity ought, of course, to be preferred; or, in other words, the Constitution ought to be preferred to the statute, the intention of the people to the intention of their agents.

Do you believe the USA is a government of the people, by the people, for the people? I once did. I do not believe it is that now. And to correct that situation I propose the following Resolution:

WHEREAS: The Founders of the great United States of America intended that this nation be the first in the history of the world to have a free people who would govern themselves free of the dictates of Monarch, Pope, or any other central government authority, and

WHEREAS: The Constitution of the United States was designed to secure the God given rights of the people and otherwise leave them alone to form whatever sort of societies they wished to have, and

WHEREAS: The Constitution of the United States was designed to strictly limit the powers of those elected or appointed to federal office, and

WHEREAS: The government has assumed powers the Constitution does not allow and that the Founders never intended a central government to have,

BE IT THEREFORE ACKNOWLEDGED that in order to preserve this great nation as the Founders intended that it be, the people must rise up and condemn and replace those in government who confiscate property that the Constitution does not authorize, that spend the people's money in ways that the Constitution does not authorize, and that obligate future generations with debt that the Constitution does not authorize.

I further believe this is likely the last generation in America who will have the ability to accomplish that.

Agree or Disagree

The USA was founded using very noble sentiments.

But read its history and you find that we, much like every other nation, say noble things, but do not remotely live up to that noble rhetoric.

I think we used to be the best nation on earth to live if one happened to be a White Christian male of European descent.

Of course that's not saying much when you look at the competition.

Well, whatever it used to be, its not that anymore.

I further believe this is likely the last generation in America who will have the ability to accomplish that.

I doubt any generation ever had that ability.

The CSA's spectacular failure seems to indicate that as but one example of this government crushing any who would challenge the authority of its elite class.

I again refer you to Article 3, Section 2. It is not unclear. "The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution,..." Marbury simply clarified that language, it did not create the authority.

The courts were designed to be an intermediate body between the people and the legislature, in order, among other things, to keep the latter within the limits assigned to their authority. The interpretation of the laws is the proper and peculiar province of the courts. A constitution is, in fact, and must be regarded by the judges as, a fundamental law. It, therefore, belongs to them to ascertain its meaning, as well as the meaning of any particular act proceeding from the legislative body. If there should happen to be an irreconcilable variance between the two, that which has the superior obligation and validity ought, of course, to be preferred; or, in other words, the Constitution ought to be preferred to the statute, the intention of the people to the intention of their agents.

Hamilton was a bootlicking statist who wanted to make George Washington a king. He desired exactly the kind of government we have now, as opposed to the limited government the rest of the Founding Fathers fought and died for.

His opinion doesn't impress me one lick.

Hamilton was a bootlicking statist who wanted to make George Washington a king. He desired exactly the kind of government we have now, as opposed to the limited government the rest of the Founding Fathers fought and died for.

Your opinion is less impressive. Washington, Adams, Marshall, Jay, Hamilton, heroes of the Revolution, all embraced a different and better way of government than you.

I'm sure the feeling would have been mutual.

I don't think that arguing it should be legal, by federal standards, to put people in stocks for heresy or burn people for being witches is going to help you here. :tongue:

I also don't think the founders were all of one mind, so whenever I see 'the founders believed in this or that' it annoys me. There's also no way to know how any of the founders would react to our current circumstances. The country and the world are far too different from the founding of the country. Who knows but that some of the founders would agree with how things have progressed?

Finally, the idea that because things aren't being run the way you (or even the founders) would prefer does NOT mean that the people are no longer in control. No individual is representative of all the people of the United States. One person being dissatisfied does not mean the government has failed. It would be more accurate to say that you disagree with the country the people have given themselves.

My goal here is not to earn pats on th back but to get the story straight. The Founders knew about the colonial theocracies. And they knew that if the federal government forbade them, the people had no freedom at all. There is no freedom when the government tells you what you can and cannot do in your own society. The Founders also believed that people with their God given rights secured would eventually get around to doing the right thing. Thus, the theocracies dissolved. The witch burnings and other such atrocities ceased in the face of strong public opinion against them.

I'm sorry, but isn't telling people what they can and cannot do EXACTLY the purpose of government? Not that the government makes the rules, but that it enforces whatever rules a given society agrees upon? (let's just deal with societies in which the people have say in government). You seem to be advocating, and claiming the founders advocated, anarchy.

No one is going to be completely free. That's just life. However, there certainly are degrees of freedom. Not allowing state-run theocracies =/= total loss of freedom.

Not in the case of the U.S. Constitution.

This is a document of the people telling government what government can and cannot do. Or at least that was the intent. The government was given authority to enact whatever law or regulation was necessary to facilitate the various colonies/states cooperating together as one nation without restricting the ability of the states to be who the people wanted them to be.

And otherwise the sole responsibility of the federal government was to secure the unalienable rights of the people and otherwise leave them alone to live their lives. The people are not free in anarchy because in anarchy they can violate each other's rights. And the people are not free if the government can assign them the rights they will and will not have because a government with such power can violate the people's unalienable rights as easily as any other.

The U.S. Constitution--the entire concept of the nation the Founders gave us--was to eliminate both conditions so that we Americans would be the first people in the history of the world to be truly free. It produced the greatest, most productive, most innovative, most creative, most benevolent nation the world had ever seen.

I believe this is the last generation that will have the ability to turn things around and restore that great nation to its original concept.

The issue is not mistaking the terms freedom and liberty as the same.

Last edited:
Do you believe the USA is a government of the people, by the people, for the people? I once did. I do not believe it is that now. And to correct that situation I propose the following Resolution:

WHEREAS: The Founders of the great United States of America intended that this nation be the first in the history of the world to have a free people who would govern themselves free of the dictates of Monarch, Pope, or any other central government authority, and

WHEREAS: The Constitution of the United States was designed to secure the God given rights of the people and otherwise leave them alone to form whatever sort of societies they wished to have, and

WHEREAS: The Constitution of the United States was designed to strictly limit the powers of those elected or appointed to federal office, and

WHEREAS: The government has assumed powers the Constitution does not allow and that the Founders never intended a central government to have,

BE IT THEREFORE ACKNOWLEDGED that in order to preserve this great nation as the Founders intended that it be, the people must rise up and condemn and replace those in government who confiscate property that the Constitution does not authorize, that spend the people's money in ways that the Constitution does not authorize, and that obligate future generations with debt that the Constitution does not authorize.

Agree or Disagree

The USA was founded using very noble sentiments.

But read its history and you find that we, much like every other nation, say noble things, but do not remotely live up to that noble rhetoric.

I think we used to be the best nation on earth to live if one happened to be a White Christian male of European descent.

Of course that's not saying much when you look at the competition.

Well, whatever it used to be, its not that anymore.

I doubt any generation ever had that ability.

The CSA's spectacular failure seems to indicate that as but one example of this government crushing any who would challenge the authority of its elite class.

The intent of the Constitution was not to create a more perfect people--the government has been trying to do that for years now and with disastrous results.

The Constitution was to create a more perfect union of individual states, allowing each its individuality while knitting it seamlessly into one great nation.

There is no freedom if there is no freedom to be wrong, to make mistakes, to suffer consequences, to choose badly.

Expanding here. . . .

Abraham Lincoln rather summed up the issues with the federal Constitution's role in the federal contract. He himself deplored and hated all concepts of slavery, but he also had a very strong sense of Constitution.

In September 1859 Lincoln gave several speeches to Ohio Republicans, and on February 27, 1860, he spoke at Cooper Union in New York City. A Search on Ohio speech provides the notes Lincoln used for his 1859 engagements. The notes articulate Lincoln's policy on slavery, and his positions on popular sovereignty and the Supreme Court's Dred Scott decision.

"We must not disturb slavery in the states where it exists, because the Constitution, and the peace of the country both forbid us — We must not withhold an efficient fugitive slave law, because the constitution demands it —

But we must, by a national policy, prevent the spread of slavery into new territories, or free states, because the constitution does not forbid us, and the general welfare does demand such prevention — We must prevent the revival of the African slave trade, because the constitution does not forbid us, and the general welfare does require the prevention — We must prevent these things being done, by either congresses or courts — The people — the people — are the rightful masters of both Congresses, and courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it —"
http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/connections/abraham-lincoln-papers/history3.html
From "Abraham Lincoln, [September 16-17, 1859] (Notes for Speech in Kansas and Ohio)," Page 2.

Last edited:
That 90% of our Social Security seniors live above the poverty level is not disastrous.

That many of our poor have better medical care than before is not disastrous.

The Constitution was not about states as it was about We the People.

It is assumed to be a social contract? I fail to see how it is any more of a social contract than the federal government, nor do I see a distinction of power imposed simply because of the source of the power.

Clearly the founding fathers did have a problem with state governments doing what they pleased. A state cannot take away your freedom of speech or religion, it can't imprison you without trial, it can't hang you up by your thumbs and roast you over a slow fire. At no time during the entire history of the United States, including the era controlled entirely by the founders, did the federal government see itself as so constrained.

I have to go back to my original question. The federal government is in place in full accordance with the Constitution. So what exactly is it you are proposing?

But as the Founders saw it, the states could (and did) do all those things. The Puritan theocracy that put people in stocks for heresy was perfectly legal under federal law. The federal government was prohibited by the Constitution from doing that, but not the states. The Salem Witch trials were perfectly legal under federal law. The federal government was prohibited by the Constitution from doing that but not the states.

As it was, a free people, unhindered and unpressed by any monarch, Pope, or other central authority, voluntarily dismantled those theocracies, made the burning of witches illegal, etc. etc. etc. The point is, the federal government then, as it was intended to do, allowed the people freedom to form whatever sort of societies they wished to have.

Yes, the Constitution itself is a social contract. One that allows the federal government specific powers and was intended to prevent it from having any other powers. The federal government was to secure our rights to order our own lives as we saw fit and then leave us alone to live them. And that included not dictating what sort of social contract the states, counties, communities, or any other entity would adopt.

The examples you are providing predated the Constitution.

How do you think the founders expected to secure our rights if they thought the states were free to take away those rights?

I continue to return to my question. What is it you are proposing? The federal government clearly does not agree with you. It has never agreed with you. What you are saying is counter to established law in this country. So what are you suggesting be done?

I agree with you that the federal government clearly does not agree with me.

I disagree with you that the federal government has never aqreed with me.

What I am proposing is that we begin now to intensely educate the people on concepts of what individual liberty was intended to be and restore our federal government to its original concept before it is too late to stop the damage to that liberty that is currently being done and to begin reversing the damage that has already been done.

No sensible person wants to go back to world where women and minorities did not have the liberties and freedoms of white males, Foxfyre. That world of Washington or TR et al is not desirable in the 21st century.

Agree or Disagree

Are you really this stupid? Have you ever read the Constitution?

Agree or Disagree

Are you really this stupid? Have you ever read the Constitution?

Apparently I am this 'stupid' because I can and will defend my resolution with solid concepts. And yes, I have read the Constitution as well as all the supporting documents that formed the basis for it. Have you?

Perhaps you might offer some rational for some part of it that you consider especially stupid?

Last edited:
No sensible person wants to go back to world where women and minorities did not have the liberties and freedoms of white males, Foxfyre. That world of Washington or TR et al is not desirable in the 21st century.

I agree Jake, which is why nobody has suggested such a thing and it is irrelevent to the concept of the OP.

Forum List

Back