A Modest Proposal for a Culture of Civility

That is absolute nonsense.

Is it now? Then how do you expect to impose civility on people like me? What's your game plan?

I don't expect to IMPOSE anything on anybody. That's the difference between someone who appreciates and respects Liberty and someone who is a totalitarian at heart.

Untrue. Being Civil means not taking offense at everything and not turning everything into a battle. If someone has a different political viewpoint, that doesn't justify letting a door slam in his face, or cutting him off at an intersection.

I'd like to see us return to cultural norm of politeness, and one in which the Loyal Opposition can be seen and heard without accusations. That, of course, entails the Loyal Opposition not treating the winners as illegitimate.

I take offense at the existence of people who believe differently than me. Not just their thoughts, words, or deeds.

A Loyal Opposition is NOT an Opposition at all. That's why I have no love for the Republicans who were elected in 2014. They ran on Resistance to Obama and turned into Co-conspirators instead.

Kumbaya, bra.

It is, of course, your right to take a firm and unshakable stand against civility. It is also my right to try (and often fail) to live up to the teachings of Jesus when dealing with you. What's great about America is that we both belong to the same citizen group!

You can keep your Jesus-crap. Personally, the fact that we have the same status here is one thing I find disgusting about this nation.

There are a lot of things that go into right and wrong, including culture. Few things are black and white in life, including morality

No there aren't. They're Universal concepts. You folks just don't want to accept that because they don't fit your BS worldview.

I think I understand from him that he believes that civility is Wrong. Universally. He's entitled to his opinion. Jesus and Gandhi were entitled to their opinion as well.

Civility is fine in a society where a singular society and culture are enforced. Outside of that, in doesn't work.

Jesus, Ghanaian and MLK were all fools.

I don't expect to IMPOSE anything on anybody. That's the difference between someone who appreciates and respects Liberty and someone who is a totalitarian at heart.

Then you cannot actually expect your philosophy to win out. If you aren't willing to Force people to agree with you, you can never defeat and eradicate alternate viewpoints.

Liberty is highly overrated. Freedom as well.

I'm a conservative and I yearn for the time when people treated each other with respect, even when they had major disagreements over policy.

The way I think of it, we all are creating the culture of the US every day, in every interaction, in every post, in every discussion. It isn't someone "other" than us, it is us. How we relate to each other creates a patchwork or mosaic of our total culture. Its starts on this micro, one on one level, and it is repeated everywhere in the country until we create an overall culture of dialogue. Right now it isn't terribly pretty.

So I ask myself before I engage in conversation, "What kind of a country do I want to live in?" Do I want to live in a country in which it's okay to question my opponents sanity and/or "Real American" status? Do I want to live in a country where some of the vitriol that people spout at each other creates the culture?

No, I choose civility. If we all make the same choice in how we talk to each other, we can disagree, as Ronald Reagan said, without being disagreeable.

It starts with every small discussion, every post, every interaction. It's up to us, not anyone else. And it isn't "their" fault, whoever "they" might be to you. "They" are Americans too.
Bravo.

Looking at this problem from a cultural perspective, my guess is that it won't happen unless and until (1) "leaders" in our society - from all walks of life, from politics to religion to sports to pop culture - bravely lead the way, and throw down the gauntlet and challenge their supporters to behave more civilly, and (2) the more hateful and divisive voices on both ends of the spectrum are culturally marginalized as a result.

I may be naive here, but I think that could happen. It would just take a few brave souls to start the momentum. And the reason I think it will take "leaders", specifically, is because our culture is so quick to idolize and follow. We make "celebrities" out of nearly anyone, and their "endorsement" has tangible value.

I disagree. I think we wont have leaders who do this until we step up and do it ourselves.

We need to stop waiting for someone else to do it and just do it ourself.

Then you cannot actually expect your philosophy to win out. If you aren't willing to Force people to agree with you, you can never defeat and eradicate alternate viewpoints.

Liberty is highly overrated. Freedom as well.

You have far more in common with the far left collectivists than you do with me.

Enjoy your ideological chains.

No, I choose civility. If we all make the same choice in how we talk to each other, we can disagree, as Ronald Reagan said, without being disagreeable..

Then you, like Mr Reagan are not truly Conservative nor do you really believe in anything, as you are not willing to FIGHT for it. If you won't argue for it, you sure as Hell won't kill for it, and that's the determining factor in whether you truly believe in something or not.

You can fight for the truth and still be civil and kind. You can argue for obedience for the constitution without calling someone stupid or a snowflake.

In fact, I argue that if you really cared about a cause Your arguments would be kind and without name calling because you would be more concerned about persuading and converting others to join you, not putting them down to make yourself feel better

The country has divided into warring enemy camps. There is no civility toward the enemy in foxholes.

That's because there is no middle ground any longer. The right is pushing to go more right and the left is pushing to go more left.

Where is the middle-ground between constitutionalism and Communism?

There is none. But you can disagree without name calling

I'm a conservative and I yearn for the time when people treated each other with respect, even when they had major disagreements over policy.

The way I think of it, we all are creating the culture of the US every day, in every interaction, in every post, in every discussion. It isn't someone "other" than us, it is us. How we relate to each other creates a patchwork or mosaic of our total culture. Its starts on this micro, one on one level, and it is repeated everywhere in the country until we create an overall culture of dialogue. Right now it isn't terribly pretty.

So I ask myself before I engage in conversation, "What kind of a country do I want to live in?" Do I want to live in a country in which it's okay to question my opponents sanity and/or "Real American" status? Do I want to live in a country where some of the vitriol that people spout at each other creates the culture?

No, I choose civility. If we all make the same choice in how we talk to each other, we can disagree, as Ronald Reagan said, without being disagreeable.

It starts with every small discussion, every post, every interaction. It's up to us, not anyone else. And it isn't "their" fault, whoever "they" might be to you. "They" are Americans too.
Bravo.

Looking at this problem from a cultural perspective, my guess is that it won't happen unless and until (1) "leaders" in our society - from all walks of life, from politics to religion to sports to pop culture - bravely lead the way, and throw down the gauntlet and challenge their supporters to behave more civilly, and (2) the more hateful and divisive voices on both ends of the spectrum are culturally marginalized as a result.

I may be naive here, but I think that could happen. It would just take a few brave souls to start the momentum. And the reason I think it will take "leaders", specifically, is because our culture is so quick to idolize and follow. We make "celebrities" out of nearly anyone, and their "endorsement" has tangible value.

Obama was civil and tried to bring civility to Washington. He was that leader. True story.

:lmao:

Everyone on my 'ignore' list is there because of rudeness.

Wrong

Thank you for making my point for me.

You're welcome. Civility is a trait related to surrender and giving up, not winning. It's a waste of time and sets a bad precedent.

It sounds like you believe civility is weakness. I respectfully disagree. The strongest cases are often those made the most quietly, with conviction and reason.

Do you feel that way when you talk to your son or daughter? Do you require them to fight with you so that you don't see them as weak?

national politics is not like a family, most of the time the violent ones tend to get their way in world politics, civility hasn't accomplished crap

Everyone on my 'ignore' list is there because of rudeness.

Wrong
How do you know differently, if I may ask.

i agree, 95 percent of life is local.

At least 95 percent. Probably a lot higher.

most of my taxes are sent to nonlocal activities and people I don't even know

You're welcome. Civility is a trait related to surrender and giving up, not winning. It's a waste of time and sets a bad precedent.

It sounds like you believe civility is weakness. I respectfully disagree. The strongest cases are often those made the most quietly, with conviction and reason.

Do you feel that way when you talk to your son or daughter? Do you require them to fight with you so that you don't see them as weak?

national politics is not like a family, most of the time the violent ones tend to get their way in world politics, civility hasn't accomplished crap
It is true that bullies get their way for a while, even in international politics, but they usually meet their match eventually.

It is true that bullies get their way for a while, even in international politics, but they usually meet their match eventually.
usually by violence is how they meet their match

Oh...I thought you were going to suggest eating illegals.

Oh...I thought you were going to suggest eating illegals.

Don't bother. Gamey.

Forum List

Back