A question for my Democrat friends

By any objective measure, actual corruption (illegal/unethical conduct in return for personal benefit) has been far more common among Democrats than Republicans.

For example, the three most celebrated GOP "scandals" (Watergate, Iran-Contra and WMDs) did not involve any personal benefit to Nixon, Reagan or Bush. Compare those with the Clinton scandals, all of which involve personal benefit to the Clintons.

Oh please spare me your cherry picking.

There are no examples of the Clinton's being found guilty of anything that involved personal gain- despite years and years of Republicans attempt to prove such a thing.

Watergate was all about 'personal gain' for Nixon- he wanted to rig the election in his favor. And you amazing leave out Spiro Agnew

In 1973, Agnew was investigated by the United States Attorney for the District of Maryland on charges of extortion, tax fraud, bribery, and conspiracy. He was charged with having accepted bribes totaling more than $100,000 while holding office as Baltimore County Executive, Governor of Maryland, and Vice President. On October 10 that same year, Agnew was allowed to plead no contest to a single charge that he had failed to report $29,500 of income received in 1967, with the condition that he resign the office of Vice President.

Try again with that 'objective measure'- because all you have done is cite gossip and ignore Republican convictions.

Let's not forget the $39.5 billion that Dick Cheney was able to shovel into the coffers of Haliburton over the Iraq debacle either.

Go start your own thread.

Quit pretending you have Democrat friends on USMB.

Why wouldn't I? Not everyone is like you, Not all of us judge people on their race, their gender, their political persuasion. Actually , the person I get along with best on this board since my arrival is a gay Democrat . mdk is a great guy, we disagree on almost all things political, doesn't intrude on our friendship.

lol. I am a Libertarian. I think agree on more points than we disagree. And yes, despite our differences it has never once intrude on friendship. Cheers!

Oh please spare me your cherry picking.

There are no examples of the Clinton's being found guilty of anything that involved personal gain- despite years and years of Republicans attempt to prove such a thing.

Watergate was all about 'personal gain' for Nixon- he wanted to rig the election in his favor. And you amazing leave out Spiro Agnew

In 1973, Agnew was investigated by the United States Attorney for the District of Maryland on charges of extortion, tax fraud, bribery, and conspiracy. He was charged with having accepted bribes totaling more than $100,000 while holding office as Baltimore County Executive, Governor of Maryland, and Vice President. On October 10 that same year, Agnew was allowed to plead no contest to a single charge that he had failed to report $29,500 of income received in 1967, with the condition that he resign the office of Vice President.

Try again with that 'objective measure'- because all you have done is cite gossip and ignore Republican convictions.

Let's not forget the $39.5 billion that Dick Cheney was able to shovel into the coffers of Haliburton over the Iraq debacle either.

Why wouldn't I? Not everyone is like you, Not all of us judge people on their race, their gender, their political persuasion. Actually , the person I get along with best on this board since my arrival is a gay Democrat . mdk is a great guy, we disagree on almost all things political, doesn't intrude on our friendship.

lol. I am a Libertarian. I think agree on more points than we disagree. And yes, despite our differences it has never once intrude on friendship. Cheers!

Oh, see Rdean told me all gays were Democrats.

Aren't you fed up with the lies, the scandals, the secrecy, the duplicity?

Please no "the GOP does it to" , yes of course, but that isn't what THIS thread is about, so kindly go start your own.

THIS thread is about all the scandals and lies and deceptive tactics we've seen since one Barrack Obama took office.

And if all you're going to do is come in here and deny these things occurred, please go elsewhere. I'm looking for serious comments from people who are mature enough to admit what there own party has been up to these last 7 1/2 years and almost certainly would continue to do under one Hillary Clinton.

This could be an interesting topic, but obviously you aren't going to get a civil or reasoned discussion on it in Politics. All you will get is diversion to a discussion of how "the GOP is far worse."

The fact is, neither Democrats or Republicans have clean hands when it comes to politics. But if you want to have a serious discussion you're going to have to put this in the Structured Debate Zone where you can set the rules for the discussion something like:

1. Only self-identified Democrats may respond
2. This thread is about Democrat scandals only. Republicans and Republican scandals are off limits in this thread.
and if you want the focus on Obama and the Clintons. . .
3. Please limit scandals to those in the last 25-30 years.

And to be fair, we probably should have a similar separate thread for the Republican scandals.

well I put it in the Clean Zone, but someone moved it for unknown reasons, and I didn't even know of the other zone. Thanks. And I agree, there should be a thread for each of the parties . It obviously wasn't my intent to imply that only the Democrats are corrupt and deceitful.

I wish C_K would move the Structured Discussion Forum

Please no "the GOP does it to" , yes of course, but that isn't what THIS thread is about, so kindly go start your own.

THIS thread is about all the scandals and lies and deceptive tactics we've seen since one Barrack Obama took office.

And if all you're going to do is come in here and deny these things occurred, please go elsewhere. I'm looking for serious comments from people who are mature enough to admit what there own party has been up to these last 7 1/2 years and almost certainly would continue to do under one Hillary Clinton.

This could be an interesting topic, but obviously you aren't going to get a civil or reasoned discussion on it in Politics. All you will get is diversion to a discussion of how "the GOP is far worse."

The fact is, neither Democrats or Republicans have clean hands when it comes to politics. But if you want to have a serious discussion you're going to have to put this in the Structured Debate Zone where you can set the rules for the discussion something like:

1. Only self-identified Democrats may respond
2. This thread is about Democrat scandals only. Republicans and Republican scandals are off limits in this thread.
and if you want the focus on Obama and the Clintons. . .
3. Please limit scandals to those in the last 25-30 years.

And to be fair, we probably should have a similar separate thread for the Republican scandals.

well I put it in the Clean Zone, but someone moved it for unknown reasons, and I didn't even know of the other zone. Thanks. And I agree, there should be a thread for each of the parties . It obviously wasn't my intent to imply that only the Democrats are corrupt and deceitful.

I believe you completely. They probably thought the thread title to 'provocative' or whatever for the Clean Zone.

The Structured Discussion Zone is in the community section but it doesn't get much attention or action there. I wish more people would use it though because it is the ONLY tool USMB gives us to have a discussion on a hot topic or controversial issue and keep the trolls from destroying the thread. Doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

Unfortunately, without ability to direct the discussion, you will find many more people right of center posting in a thread criticizing Democrats and the Democrats will be focused on turning the focus to Republican sins.

I am not optimistic you will find many, if any, self-proclaimed Democrats or leftwingers who will be willing to discuss Democrat scandals, but it sure would be interesting to see if anybody would. And I would be interested to know if those right of center would be willing to really discuss Republican 'sins' too.

Oh, see Rdean told me all gays were Democrats.

What madness compelled you to believe him? lol

Actually, the Obama administration has been one of the most scandal free administrations since Carter

Actually, the Obama administration has been one of the most scandal free administrations since Carter

Don't confuse a surrogate media's reluctance to call the controversial stuff 'scandals' with a lack of 'scandals'. Obama has enjoyed the most conciliatory and supportive media of ANY President in my lifetime.

Here is Wiki's list of Obama controversies and scandals:

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
M
N
O
P
S
U
V
X
Z
And that doesn't count the various controversies and scandals surrounding many of his cabinet members, staffers, and bureaucrats.

Apologies to the OP for inserting this into the thread but we might as well spell out a few of the things we're talking about.

Don't confuse a surrogate media's reluctance to call the controversial stuff 'scandals' with a lack of 'scandals'. Obama has enjoyed the most conciliatory and supportive media of ANY President in my lifetime.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
M
N
O
P
S
U
V
X
Z
And that doesn't count the various controversies and scandals surrounding many of his cabinet members, staffers, and bureaucrats.

Apologies to the OP for inserting this into the thread but we might as well spell out a few of the things we're talking about.

Ummmm...Air Force One Photo-op scandal?
You forgot the Obama bowing scandal

I feel your outrage

Last edited:

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
M
N
O
P
S
U
V
X
Z

I feel your outrage

The scandal was that some low level flunky lost his job and no one in any position of authority took even a bit of the blame for that stupid decision.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
M
N
O
P
S
U
V
X
Z

I feel your outrage

Sure you can pick several things out of that list that are minor compared to others. But they are all scandals. And it is a LONG list.

The OP asks--and I am shamelessly putting words in the OP's mouth here--if Democrats/leftwingers will acknowledge and discuss scandals involving other Democrats. Or will they continue to point to the GOP as worse and therefore Democrat scandals can be ignored. Or will they point to a relatively minor incident as evidence none of the scandals merit any kind of outrage?

There is no denying that the Obama presidency has been rife with its fair share of deceptiveness, scandals, incompetency, etc. However, if you think that this is singularly indicative of solely either Obama or the Democratic party...you seem to be forgetting the travesty of the Bush years that was just prior.

The people who are in Washington, in general, are not going to be the best people to uphold the interest "common folk." Trump, Hillary, Obama, Bush...it doesn't matter who it is...they will all work for the interests of other parties rather than the interest of the general American public.

Yes, you are foolish because you dwell on matters already looked into by your Republican congress. They couldn't find anything but you dwell on facts not in consideration.

I'm not a Republican and I don't let politicians do my thinking for me like you do

I understand, I wouldn't claim to be a Republican these days either.

You don't understand, I'm not a Republican because I don't agree with them on most issues. You just can't think beyond Republican/Democrat, you're not very smart. Explains your test scores in school, doesn't it?

I didn't want to bring it up, but since you want to have a hissy fit and drop down to the next level, I'll tell you. Isn't it just possible that if you spent a little time learning to improve how you spell, read, count, and write, that you wouldn't have to come here for pity any longer?

Wow, calm down. This is just a message board, brother. If you're going to pop a vein just because other people think differently than you do, maybe you should find other endeavors. Maybe you should at least put down the keyboard for a while until you get get back under control. Try breathing into a bag

Sorry Kaz, I was just trying to keep up with the level of invective that you decided to toss down the garbage chute.You might heed your own advice in the future,

I call bullshit on most of the partisans who have posted in this thread.

I've LITTLE doubt that if a GOP administration was mired in the same sort of cloud of indiscretions, secrecy, and lies that the Obama administration has been that people like Juan would be up in arms and screaming for impeachment.

And if anything, Hillary is even more deceitful than Obama.

And of course- your post is itself partisan.

There is no reason why anyone should be calling for impeachment of President Obama, which is evidenced by the fact that despite hundreds of hours by Republican Congressman and Senators, having hearings trying to establish a cause for impeachment, they still have not found a cause and have not even attempted a call for impeachment.

The rantings of far right wing talk shows hosts is not cause for impeachment of a President.

Here is Wiki's list of Obama controversies and scandals:t.

Well it its part of a Wiki List- well that is proof of impeachable offenses.....

I can remember not too long after this Ben Gahzi guy started being a thing SoS Clinton went before some Senate dickhe...er.... Republicans and said the immortal words, "What difference does it make?" when asked about what she and others said in the immediate aftermath of the attack. I'm sure we all can remember the conniption ODS nutters all over the country had over those words.

Fast forward a few years to the House kangaroo court Benghazi hearings and this time she didn't say those words, but others on here and elsewhere pushed the question, "what difference dose it make?" and guess what: the people getting vapors about it really didn't have an answer anyway.

That hasn't stopped kaz here, though. He's just gonna keep on saying "she lied" and "why did she lie" because that's really about all that's left. Simple fact of the matter is, though, even the "Hillary lied" angle he and others keep harping has been shown to be debatable at best.

IOW, when it comes to the Ben Ghazi issue, wingnuts really do have bupkis.

The Obama administration lies about what the attack was and obstruction of the investigation were both seriously wrong even if they did nothing else wrong.

Ask Nixon how covering up worked out for him. Spoiler alert, here's how it turned out for him ...

Gee, where is your evidence of that? 8 full Congressional Investigations, 33 Congressional Committee Hearings, $22 million spent on digging up evidence, 11 formal published reports. All say we are done. There is no more. There was no evidence. We have concluded. No evidence whatsoever of wrongdoing. That's All Folks.

None of the investigations said what you are lying they said. They said they were not indicting him for a crime. You are lying that they said he did nothing wrong.

Every time I think you people can't get any dumber, you prove me wrong. So let's say you're under attack. You are actually claiming that even while you are under attack, you would not be able to tell the difference between a rioting mob going out of control and a planned, trained, organized military unit attacking you. You are actually saying that would be unclear to you. And to Obama, Rice and Clinton, it was unclear a week and a half later.

It's amazing how liberals tell such flagrant, ridiculous lies that if you are believed makes you look 100 times more stupid than if you're just lying. You're a piece of work.

Duh, dar, I can't tell the difference between an organized military attack and a mob that lost it. Drool, drool. Yeah, you keep sticking with that ...

You are in denial Kaz, and you cannot accept the judgment of not just 7, but soon to be 8, other full fledged investigations, every single one intent on finding wrongdoing. Every single one fell short of their goal. Every single one failed to find indictable evidence of a criminal action. We're done. There is nothing further to explore, you lost. You need to accept that, and you need to stop saying these people are guilty because they aren't guilty of anything or they would have been charged. Justice has been served and the investigations are concluded the case is closed.

Yet you can't cite a single quote from the investigation saying there was no "wrongdoing." Only a writer in the leftist media describing it that way.

That you don't indict someone does not mean they didn't do anything wrong, not by a country mile. We know Obama lied repeatedly, his administration lied repeatedly and then he impeded the investigation. Those are clearly "wrongdoing" regardless of what the investigation found

Once again Kaz is demanding everyone believe Kaz rather than what the actual evidence is.

Those are clearly "wrongdoing" regardless of what the investigation found

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
M
N
O
P
S
U
V
X
Z

I feel your outrage

The scandal was that some low level flunky lost his job and no one in any position of authority took even a bit of the blame for that stupid decision.

And the anguish it cost terrified New Yorkers seeing a large plane flying so low relatively soon after 9/11 and the cost to taxpayers estimated at something between $100,000 and $200,000 for a photo even Jon Stewart said could have been produced for little or nothing with Airforce One on the ground. Air Force One cost something around $53,000/hour to operate in 2000--most likely significantly more in 2009.

Not that much money? I wonder how many people's total taxes for the year--taxes they pay trusting the government to use them wisely and well--were expended in that photo op?

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
M
N
O
P
S
U
V
X
Z

I feel your outrage

And he got reelected anyway

What were we thinking?

I'm not a Republican and I don't let politicians do my thinking for me like you do

I understand, I wouldn't claim to be a Republican these days either.

You don't understand, I'm not a Republican because I don't agree with them on most issues. You just can't think beyond Republican/Democrat, you're not very smart. Explains your test scores in school, doesn't it?

I didn't want to bring it up, but since you want to have a hissy fit and drop down to the next level, I'll tell you. Isn't it just possible that if you spent a little time learning to improve how you spell, read, count, and write, that you wouldn't have to come here for pity any longer?

Wow, calm down. This is just a message board, brother. If you're going to pop a vein just because other people think differently than you do, maybe you should find other endeavors. Maybe you should at least put down the keyboard for a while until you get get back under control. Try breathing into a bag

Sorry Kaz, I was just trying to keep up with the level of invective that you decided to toss down the garbage chute.You might heed your own advice in the future,

You don't actually see all the endless jabs you put in your posts, do you?

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
M
N
O
P
S
U
V
X
Z

I feel your outrage

Sure you can pick several things out of that list that are minor compared to others. But they are all scandals. And it is a LONG list.

The OP asks--and I am shamelessly putting words in the OP's mouth here--if Democrats/leftwingers will acknowledge and discuss scandals involving other Democrats. Or will they continue to point to the GOP as worse and therefore Democrat scandals can be ignored. Or will they point to a relatively minor incident as evidence none of the scandals merit any kind of outrage?

Sure kept FoxNews and the interwebs busy didn't it?

Rest of the country gave a collective shrug

Here is Wiki's list of Obama controversies and scandals:t.

Well it its part of a Wiki List- well that is proof of impeachable offenses.....

Only for those who wish to dismiss the list as irrelevant. Or you can follow the links and see what each incident was all about and discuss it honestly. If it doesn't qualify as a scandal, serious debaters will simply make a good argument for why it doesn't qualify as a scandal.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
M
N
O
P
S
U
V
X
Z

I feel your outrage

Sure kept FoxNews and the interwebs busy didn't it?

Rest of the country gave a collective shrug

Some of us don't give a collective shrug when the government is blatantly careless and inappropriate in the use of the people's money. But if your argument is that it doesn't matter and nobody should care about it, well, that's your argument.

Forum List

Back