A Reasonable Solution To The Gay Marriage Debate

Which has nothing to do with the fact that a "spouse" by law, is considered "family". Don't like the federal definition? That's OK, go to your state legislature and check on similar provisions, you will find that spouse is included in the definition of family.

Then of course you can go to any large gathering of people, sporting events, church, political rally, etc - then get some time on a microphone. Ask them if they think of their spouse as family. Wanna bet that the VAST majority will answer "yes"?

>>>>

You are parsing words. Everyone knows that children are what make families. For heaven sake, we would not have any relations like aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc, if it were not for families with children.

Not parsing words, my wife is a member of my family and that would be true irregardless of if we'd ever had children.

>>>>

Both eyeballs have landed in the same socket, now that I know he thinks 'man and wife' are not family. I cannot go on. Good luck, y'all.

You are parsing words. Everyone knows that children are what make families. For heaven sake, we would not have any relations like aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc, if it were not for families with children.

My kids have 4 uncles. Only 2 of those uncles had kids. So are they all family or are only two of them family?

Your two childless uncles are part of a family but they don't have their own families.

Oh, so they ARE family but they don't have families? lol

Which has nothing to do with the fact that a "spouse" by law, is considered "family". Don't like the federal definition? That's OK, go to your state legislature and check on similar provisions, you will find that spouse is included in the definition of family.

Then of course you can go to any large gathering of people, sporting events, church, political rally, etc - then get some time on a microphone. Ask them if they think of their spouse as family. Wanna bet that the VAST majority will answer "yes"?

>>>>

Not parsing words, my wife is a member of my family and that would be true irregardless of if we'd ever had children.

>>>>

But if someone says "bring the family", they usually mean your wife and kids.

I think that the schools, universities, media, entertainment industry, politicians and today's popular culture are all normalizing and glorifying debauchery in every form. Glorifying the gay lifestyle and the gay agenda is part of this. Kids don't know the difference between good and bad anymore.

Becoming more accepting of homosexuals is not "glorifying". Since homosexuals aren't being locked up in mental institutions for electroshock therapy and arrested and thrown in jail - more and more people are coming into contact with homosexuals that are open about their sexuality, and realizing that vast majority of them are the same as the rest of us.

It's not that kids can't recognize the difference between "good" and "bad" its that their definition is different then their parents generation who think their definition is absolute and unchanging as it pertains to consensual adult relationships.

>>>>

I should have said "normal and abnormal" instead of "good and bad" in that context.

Now you are saying that kids know better than their parents. That kind of thinking undermines a society.

Right, because we all know its better to have everyone just alike. Since when is "normal" regulated by our gov't?

I think that the schools, universities, media, entertainment industry, politicians and today's popular culture are all normalizing and glorifying debauchery in every form. Glorifying the gay lifestyle and the gay agenda is part of this. Kids don't know the difference between good and bad anymore.

Becoming more accepting of homosexuals is not "glorifying". Since homosexuals aren't being locked up in mental institutions for electroshock therapy and arrested and thrown in jail - more and more people are coming into contact with homosexuals that are open about their sexuality, and realizing that vast majority of them are the same as the rest of us.

It's not that kids can't recognize the difference between "good" and "bad" its that their definition is different then their parents generation who think their definition is absolute and unchanging as it pertains to consensual adult relationships.

>>>>

I should have said "normal and abnormal" instead of "good and bad" in that context.

Now you are saying that kids know better than their parents. That kind of thinking undermines a society.

I never said anything of the sort. I said society changes and evolves. Children grow up and hold their own opinions and redefine society according to their needs and desires. Frequently that is different from their parents' needs and desires. I never said that those definitions were "better" or "worse". I certainly don't agree with my parents on everything and they didn't agree with my grandparents on everything.

What undermines a society is forcing society into a pattern of behavior that they no longer embrace or feels is an accurate definition of "who they are" and/or "what standards describe their belief system"

>>>>

Both eyeballs have landed in the same socket, now that I know he thinks 'man and wife' are not family. I cannot go on. Good luck, y'all.

Maybe he should really go out and tell lots of people that a man and wife are not a family. I'm sure that would gather great support.

>>>>

>>>>

Sure! But this sidetrack is largely irrelevant. If someone invited my ex-wife to a gathering and said "Bring the family", she would've shown up with kids and her partner.

This stuff about kids is not any reason to refuse to allow gays to marry. Either through adoption or outside assistance, gay couple have kids. First you claim that marriage is all about protecting kids and then you refuse to allow those gay couples the same benefits that childless straight couples enjoy.

So it seems that kids are not the true basis for your issues.

And I might add that what is "normal" right now is to endorse the rights of gays to marry. The polls are pretty clear that over the last couple years that has become the majority opinion. Therefore, your position is currently "abnormal". That may change again in the future...who knows. But that of course simply sticks the point that definitions of "normal" and "abnormal" evolve over time. Five years ago your position would have been "normal". It no longer is. Hence, don't blame society for choosing something else. Blame yourself for inadequately adapting to the evolution of society,

There is a huge social movement to indoctrinate each generation into the normalcy of homosexuality. So it isn't surprising that acceptance of homosexuality is growing. Like the acceptance of promiscuity, drug use, alcoholism in children, abortion. We aren't becoming more accepting of homosexuality but across the board degeneracy in every form. Fortunately degeneracy has a half life and cultures that do become wholly degenerate don't last very long.

>>>>

Maybe he should really go out and tell lots of people that a man and wife are not a family. I'm sure that would gather great support.

>>>>

You are putting words in my mouth.

What does it mean when someone says "bring the family" ?

What does it mean when someone says, "I want to have a family"?

What does it mean when an establishment advertises that it is "family friendly"?

There is a huge social movement to indoctrinate each generation into the normalcy of homosexuality. So it isn't surprising that acceptance of homosexuality is growing. Like the acceptance of promiscuity, drug use, alcoholism in children, abortion. We aren't becoming more accepting of homosexuality but across the board degeneracy in every form. Fortunately degeneracy has a half life and cultures that do become wholly degenerate don't last very long.

The big problem with your statement is that drug use, alcoholism (in children or adults) abortion ect, are all harmful. Your comparisons are nonsense.

Being gay is not harmful, unless you consider the hatred and possible violence you will face from the bigots. And getting rid of gays is not the answer to that particular problem.

>>>>

And if someone says "bring the family", my wife is not excluded even if we don't have kids.

>>>>

>>>>

Sure! But this sidetrack is largely irrelevant. If someone invited my ex-wife to a gathering and said "Bring the family", she would've shown up with kids and her partner.

This stuff about kids is not any reason to refuse to allow gays to marry. Either through adoption or outside assistance, gay couple have kids. First you claim that marriage is all about protecting kids and then you refuse to allow those gay couples the same benefits that childless straight couples enjoy.

So it seems that kids are not the true basis for your issues.

They say 'bring the family' to let parents know all are welcome. Otherwise they say "Find a sitter, and I can't wait to see you and Sue on Saturday."

And if there are no kids, it's still "And we'll see you guys this weekend." Family is only mentioned when more than the couple is involved, and it does not negate them being family if they don't have any offspring.

This whole concept he's come up with is so ridiculous, it's bordering on pathetic.

It's like the time my mom tried telling me I was still a child at 25, because she heard the phrase "and children up to age 25 are included." No, they should have used the word 'offspring.' She was like ".... oh."

>>>>

And if someone says "bring the family", my wife is not excluded even if we don't have kids.

>>>>

This conversation is getting ridiculous.

If they knew that you don't have kids, they would probably say "bring your wife" instead of "bring your family".

>>>>

You are putting words in my mouth.

No I'm not you said in post #223 "Two spouses are not a family."

I disagree, spouses are family.

What does it mean when someone says "bring the family" ?

To bring members of your family. For a couple that would include the spouse. For those with children bring the children. For those with a spouse and children bring both the spouse and children.

What does it mean when someone says, "I want to have a family"?

Get married, to create the family unit, then have children.

For some people it means adopting children without having a spouse at all though single parent adoption or IVF.

What does it mean when an establishment advertises that it is "family friendly"?

Depends on the establishment. In general it means there is little to know alcohol served, that there is little to no violence, and that it can be regarded as a pretty safe place.

I live south of Bush Garden's Williamsburg in Virginia which is a family friendly environment. We will usually go up 2 or 3 times during summer evenings for "date night" with no kids. Families of 2 are just as welcome as families of 5.

>>>>

Forum List

Back