A sane look at fighting Trumpism

No need to give up fighting for a decent strong successful America against the threat that occurred last night.

November 9, 2016 2:36 a.m.
Forget Canada. Stay and Fight for American Democracy.
By Jonathan ChaitShareTweetShareShareEmail
9-chait-election-night.w710.h473.jpg

Photo: The Washington Post/Washington Post/Getty Images
Before the election, like many liberals, I made a lot of jokes about moving to Canada. It was a way for people to deal with our anxiety. It’s not funny anymore, and people discussing it — reportedly, Canada’s immigration website has crashed due to excessive interest — are beginning to disgust me. I love this country. I believe in it. I’m not leaving. I’m sorry to sound hokey, but I’m going to stay and defend truth and democracy.

Never in my lifetime has the United States seen a period of darkness like the one that lies ahead of us. But we have seen periods of darkness before — segregation, McCarthyism, the internment of the Japanese, the Civil War, slavery. The American story is fitful progress punctuated by frequent reversals, some of which appeared at the time like they would last forever. None of them did.

The Trump years will be a horror. When I set out to write my long story in the magazineabout Trumpism and the future of the Republican Party, I originally intended to focus on the immediate possibilities that lay before the Republican Party if it could capture full control of Washington. As this scenario grew less likely, I gave it less emphasis, but it is there. The Republicans will pass massive regressive tax cuts; they will take access to medical care from the poor and sick; they will deregulate the financial industry and fossil-fuel emitters.

And that is just the beginning, the best-case scenario. Trump is an impulsive, egotistical bully, intolerant of criticism and dissent and drawn to the ruthless application of power. Many liberals have been warning that American democracy is far weaker than we believed, and this was before any of us imagined a monster like Trump commanding the Executive branch. Trump will shake the Republic to its foundations. And the Republicans will shake it with him. If there is a central point I tried to drive home, it is that Trumpism grows out of a decades-long trend toward authoritarianism as the dominant tendency of Republican politics. I don’t know what American government will look like after four years of Trump — or if it will only last four years, or even if it will only last eight.

But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse.

At the end of this month, the president-elect of the United States will face trial for committing massive fraud through Trump University. He openly vows to have his children run his family business, which will enrich him through his office in the manner of a post-Soviet kleptocrat. The depths of a Trump presidency defy our imagination. It is safe to assume it will not be popular. Trump and his party will probably respond with vicious anti-democratic measures. But fighting for democracy is part of America’s heritage, from abolitionists to suffragettes to the progressive reformers. Maybe you thought that fight was confined to history. It will go on.

And Trump does not represent the future. He only barely represents its present. His party controls all three branches in large part because its voters are overrepresented in the House, the Senate, and the Electoral College. He represents a rage against the direction of America they have no way of stopping. Even a complete halt to all of illegal immigration and a total deportation of every undocumented immigrant will not prevent the growth of nonwhites into an eventual majority. Republicans are increasingly focused on voter suppression and other anti-democratic measures to allow their shrinking cohort to rule. Trump is the perfect champion of their project.

But I do not believe they will win, at least not over the long run. As the shock of a Trump presidency set in, I told my children Tuesday night that I did not want to hear anything about fleeing. We are not going anywhere. And the America I have raised them to believe in will one day prevail.

From the quote:

"But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse."
If you were around during the bush years then you'll remember Republicans don't really care if Republican politicians do a good job they just want Republicans in charge

bripat9643, post: 15816418
Pay attention: We won. You lost. Now get in the back and shut the fuck up.

You won the White House now you must govern. Trump lost the vote however and must deal with that reality. His Chief of staff is an ultimate Washington insider and Paul Ryan loyalist. His Senior political adviser is Steve Bannon and Paul Ryan hater.

Some team Trump starts 'governing' with.

Preibus and Ryan are already knocking down Trump's extremist trade and immigration statements. Ryan controls the money for whatever Trump and Bannon want to do.

Republican's civil war disrupts governing. Disrupted governing will disrupt and disturb the voters. Most voter oppose Trump - that is a deep political reality that he has to deal with in an intelligent and meaningful way.

No Wall, No deportation force, no disruption to Obama care. No major trade reversals. What did you win. A racist bigot in the White House. Perhaps more than one judge.
Hey Foo...your unprecedented coalition has taken Nimrud after two years of strategic patience and 500000 dead in Syria. Congrats on this amazing accomplishment. And then......GFY.

Nimrud will now be renamed to nimrod (small n) in honor of Obabble, Foo and all other libtard morons seeking to flee America under Trump.

I can't help but notice how the left keeps trashing Trump and his supporters no surprise there and bemoaning his election no surprise there the surprise is the following. It's how you guys fail to see or acknowledge your role in his election you nominate the only Democrat he could have beaten you underestimated him constantly and trashed his supporters which I suspect turned of at least some undecided voters and you continue to do so you seem determined to make the same mistakes going foreward you did during the campaign.

No need to give up fighting for a decent strong successful America against the threat that occurred last night.

November 9, 2016 2:36 a.m.
Forget Canada. Stay and Fight for American Democracy.
By Jonathan ChaitShareTweetShareShareEmail
9-chait-election-night.w710.h473.jpg

Photo: The Washington Post/Washington Post/Getty Images
Before the election, like many liberals, I made a lot of jokes about moving to Canada. It was a way for people to deal with our anxiety. It’s not funny anymore, and people discussing it — reportedly, Canada’s immigration website has crashed due to excessive interest — are beginning to disgust me. I love this country. I believe in it. I’m not leaving. I’m sorry to sound hokey, but I’m going to stay and defend truth and democracy.

Never in my lifetime has the United States seen a period of darkness like the one that lies ahead of us. But we have seen periods of darkness before — segregation, McCarthyism, the internment of the Japanese, the Civil War, slavery. The American story is fitful progress punctuated by frequent reversals, some of which appeared at the time like they would last forever. None of them did.

The Trump years will be a horror. When I set out to write my long story in the magazineabout Trumpism and the future of the Republican Party, I originally intended to focus on the immediate possibilities that lay before the Republican Party if it could capture full control of Washington. As this scenario grew less likely, I gave it less emphasis, but it is there. The Republicans will pass massive regressive tax cuts; they will take access to medical care from the poor and sick; they will deregulate the financial industry and fossil-fuel emitters.

And that is just the beginning, the best-case scenario. Trump is an impulsive, egotistical bully, intolerant of criticism and dissent and drawn to the ruthless application of power. Many liberals have been warning that American democracy is far weaker than we believed, and this was before any of us imagined a monster like Trump commanding the Executive branch. Trump will shake the Republic to its foundations. And the Republicans will shake it with him. If there is a central point I tried to drive home, it is that Trumpism grows out of a decades-long trend toward authoritarianism as the dominant tendency of Republican politics. I don’t know what American government will look like after four years of Trump — or if it will only last four years, or even if it will only last eight.

But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse.

At the end of this month, the president-elect of the United States will face trial for committing massive fraud through Trump University. He openly vows to have his children run his family business, which will enrich him through his office in the manner of a post-Soviet kleptocrat. The depths of a Trump presidency defy our imagination. It is safe to assume it will not be popular. Trump and his party will probably respond with vicious anti-democratic measures. But fighting for democracy is part of America’s heritage, from abolitionists to suffragettes to the progressive reformers. Maybe you thought that fight was confined to history. It will go on.

And Trump does not represent the future. He only barely represents its present. His party controls all three branches in large part because its voters are overrepresented in the House, the Senate, and the Electoral College. He represents a rage against the direction of America they have no way of stopping. Even a complete halt to all of illegal immigration and a total deportation of every undocumented immigrant will not prevent the growth of nonwhites into an eventual majority. Republicans are increasingly focused on voter suppression and other anti-democratic measures to allow their shrinking cohort to rule. Trump is the perfect champion of their project.

But I do not believe they will win, at least not over the long run. As the shock of a Trump presidency set in, I told my children Tuesday night that I did not want to hear anything about fleeing. We are not going anywhere. And the America I have raised them to believe in will one day prevail.

From the quote:

"But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse."

Well if he's not going to do anything, then it's a good thing he will only take one dollar a year for his salery huh?
That leaves 399,999.00 a year to pay for something else. Like payment on the debt.

Well if he's not going to do anything, then it's a good thing he will only take one dollar a year for his salery huh?
That leaves 399,999.00 a year to pay for something else. Like payment on the debt.

That paycheck is minuscule compared to the five trillion added to the debt for tax cuts mostly for the wealthy like Trump and his wealthy cronies will get. Middle class may get token $1000. Below Middle Class $300 reward for their vote.

You heard it hear first. Middle Class and lower workers screwed over again by Trumpism

Now, however, power has fallen into the hands of a man who definitely doesn’t suffer from an excess of either virtue or prudence. Donald Trump isn’t proposing huge, budget-busting tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations because he understands macroeconomics. But those tax cuts would add $4.5 trillion to U.S. debt over the next decade — about five times as much as the stimulus of the early Obama years.
True, handing out windfalls to rich people and companies that will probably sit on a lot of the money is a bad, low-bang-for-the-buck way to boost the economy, and I have my doubts about whether the promised surge in infrastructure spending will really happen. But an accidental, badly designed stimulus would still, in the short run, be better than no stimulus at all.
In short, don’t expect an immediate Trump slump.
Now, in the longer run Trumpism will be a very bad thing for the economy, in a couple of ways. For one thing, even if we don’t face a recession right now, stuff happens, and a lot depends on the effectiveness of the policy response. Yet we’re about to see a major degradation in both the quality and the independence of public servants. If we face a new economic crisis — perhaps as a result of the dismantling of financial reform — it’s hard to think of people less prepared to deal with it.
And Trumpist policies will, in particular, hurt, not help, the American working class; eventually, promises to bring back the good old days — yes, to make America great again — will be revealed as the cruel joke they are. More on that in future columns.

Trump Slump Coming?

Krugman. "Now, in the longer run Trumpism will be a very bad thing for the economy, in a couple of ways. For one thing, even if we don’t face a recession right now, stuff happens, and a lot depends on the effectiveness of the policy response. Yet we’re about to see a major degradation in both the quality and the independence of public servants. If we face a new economic crisis — perhaps as a result of the dismantling of financial reform — it’s hard to think of people less prepared to deal with it.
And Trumpist policies will, in particular, hurt, not help, the American working class; eventually, promises to bring back the good old days — yes, to make America great again — will be revealed as the cruel joke they are."

Bush did the same thing. It took about seven years but the consequences of tax cuts mostly for the rich - gave us the Great Bush Recession.

Bush did the same thing. It took about seven years but the consequences of tax cuts mostly for the rich - gave us the Great Bush Recession.
We've heard all the lies for many years now. You're a retard and think you can still sell Boooooosh bullshit. I'm glad Trump is making your asshole chew through your panties, you won't last much longer.

That paycheck is minuscule compared to the five trillion added to the debt for tax cuts mostly for the wealthy like Trump and his wealthy cronies will get. Middle class may get token $1000. Below Middle Class $300 reward for their vote.

You heard it hear first. Middle Class and lower workers screwed over again by Trumpism

Now, however, power has fallen into the hands of a man who definitely doesn’t suffer from an excess of either virtue or prudence. Donald Trump isn’t proposing huge, budget-busting tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations because he understands macroeconomics. But those tax cuts would add $4.5 trillion to U.S. debt over the next decade — about five times as much as the stimulus of the early Obama years.
True, handing out windfalls to rich people and companies that will probably sit on a lot of the money is a bad, low-bang-for-the-buck way to boost the economy, and I have my doubts about whether the promised surge in infrastructure spending will really happen. But an accidental, badly designed stimulus would still, in the short run, be better than no stimulus at all.
Now, in the longer run Trumpism will be a very bad thing for the economy, in a couple of ways. For one thing, even if we don’t face a recession right now, stuff happens, and a lot depends on the effectiveness of the policy response. Yet we’re about to see a major degradation in both the quality and the independence of public servants. If we face a new economic crisis — perhaps as a result of the dismantling of financial reform — it’s hard to think of people less prepared to deal with it.
And Trumpist policies will, in particular, hurt, not help, the American working class; eventually, promises to bring back the good old days — yes, to make America great again — will be revealed as the cruel joke they are. More on that in future columns.

Trump Slump Coming?

Krugman. "Now, in the longer run Trumpism will be a very bad thing for the economy, in a couple of ways. For one thing, even if we don’t face a recession right now, stuff happens, and a lot depends on the effectiveness of the policy response. Yet we’re about to see a major degradation in both the quality and the independence of public servants. If we face a new economic crisis — perhaps as a result of the dismantling of financial reform — it’s hard to think of people less prepared to deal with it.
And Trumpist policies will, in particular, hurt, not help, the American working class; eventually, promises to bring back the good old days — yes, to make America great again — will be revealed as the cruel joke they are."

It worked out great for this country when President Kennedy did it.
It brought good growth and jobs.

deltex1, post: 15819963
Hey Foo...your unprecedented coalition has taken Nimrud after two years of strategic patience and 500000 dead in Syria. Congrats on this amazing accomplishment. And then......GFY.

When was Obama head of the government in Syria? Trump supports the primary supporter of Assad the mass murderer in Syria. You just voted for the man who is more truly responsible for all those deaths than Obama ever could be.

And where have you cowardly been since you voted for the man who says Bush lied us into war in Iraq saying that invasion was a huge mistake.

All those years arguing against that truth has been cleansed from your hyper hate mutilated brain.

4484 US troops died in a mistake your President elect agreed we me and Obama was just that.

You have no remorse for American's lives lost and all those wounded and the trillions wasted.

You now are fond of the man who calls your support of that needless was a huge mistake.

Glad you agree with me on that now go run away and hide in your bunker oh, most afraid one.

When was Obama head of the government in Syria? Trump supports the primary supporter of Assad the mass murderer in Syria. You just voted for the man who is more truly responsible for all those deaths than Obama ever could be.

And where have you cowardly been since you voted for the man who says Bush lied us into war in Iraq saying that invasion was a huge mistake.

All those years arguing against that truth has been cleansed from your hyper hate mutilated brain.

4484 US troops died in a mistake your President elect agreed we me and Obama was just that.

You have no remorse for American's lives lost and all those wounded and the trillions wasted.

You now are fond of the man who calls your support of that needless was a huge mistake.

Glad you agree with me on that now go run away and hide in your bunker oh, most afraid one.
You lost. Let's not overlook that minor detail, most ignorant one.

Trump Slump Coming?

That was when rates remained extremely high as wealthy Americans were willing pay off the debt from WWII because the middle class fought and died to save all the assets that those wealthy taxpayers possessed.

Now we have a President-elect that has not paid a dime in taxes for all the Americans that fought and died in the war on terror or the mistake of invading Iraq.

It shameful and there is no way around.

And he doesn't like service members like McCain that got captured. Disgusting.

Trump Slump Coming?

That was when rates remained extremely high as wealthy Americans were willing pay off the debt from WWII because the middle class fought and died to save all the assets that those wealthy taxpayers possessed.

Now we have a President-elect that has not paid a dime in taxes for all the Americans that fought and died in the war on terror or the mistake of invading Iraq.

It shameful and there is no way around.

And he doesn't like service members like McCain that got captured. Disgusting.

The very reason we need a new tax code.

Iceweasel, post: 15820385
You lost. Let's not overlook that minor detail, most ignorant one

We lost an election but by no means did we lose the moral decency of the majority of Americans that voted. You have no comments on the coming tragedy of this election or defense of the ugly Americanism that you voted for.

There are more of us than there are of you specifically among the youth of this great country.

Celebrate hate while you can. It won't be a celebration for long.

Foo overlooks Obabbles red line...his inability to influence Putin, his withdrawal from Iraq, his non support of the Kurds, his non support of as Sisi in Egypt and his ineffective coalition.

Foo will be the president of nimrod some day. An unmitigated asshole.

peach174, post: 15820439
The very reason we need a new tax code

We don't need tax cuts for the rich in order to write or improve the tax code. Don't need to blow the whole system up and start by scratch.

And further to your previous point Clinton did the opposite of tax cuts for the rich and created the most jobs over a two term presidency and created several years of annual budget surpluses. Surpluses that Bush destroyed by cutting taxes mostly for the wealthy and created zero jobs by the end of his two terms and left an economic crisis unmatched since the Great Depression.

But hey, Trump is rich, his first loyalty is to his class not the country and surely not to anyone working paycheck to paycheck.

Iceweasel, post: 15820385
You lost. Let's not overlook that minor detail, most ignorant one

We lost an election but by no means did we lose the moral decency of the majority of Americans that voted. You have no comments on the coming tragedy of this election or defense of the ugly Americanism that you voted for.

There are more of us than there are of you specifically among the youth of this great country.

Celebrate hate while you can. It won't be a celebration for long.
The tragedy is between your ears, I made that quite plain. The hate is all yours, you're a creep with nothing but vile juvenile bullshit to offer. But the last count I heard is Trump was up even in the popular vote, not that it matters.

But it is good for America to see what you pigs are really all about, you'll lose even bigger next time.

peach174, post: 15820439
The very reason we need a new tax code

We don't need tax cuts for the rich in order to write or improve the tax code. Don't need to blow the whole system up and start by scratch.

And further to your previous point Clinton did the opposite of tax cuts for the rich and created the most jobs over a two term presidency and created several years of annual budget surpluses. Surpluses that Bush destroyed by cutting taxes mostly for the wealthy and created zero jobs by the end of his two terms and left an economic crisis unmatched since the Great Depression.

But hey, Trump is rich, his first loyalty is to his class not the country and surely not to anyone working paycheck to paycheck.

The countries that lowered their corp tax has had very good growth.
Fact.

deltex1, post: 15820475.
oo overlooks Obabbles red line...his inability to influence Putin, his withdrawal from Iraq, his non support of the Kurds, his non support of as Sisi in Egypt and his ineffective coalition.

Foo will be the president of nimrod some day. An unmitigated asshole.

Still running from Trump telling you that you supported the worst unnecessary and unprovoked military disaster in American history.

Bush set the date for withdrawal from Iraq. And ISIS is all but driven out of Iraq when the Mosul Operation is completed. And Iraqis are doing the fighting on the ground as it should be. You still want more Americans to die in Bush's mistake.

The red line worked because Putin forced Assad to destroy his chemical warfare arsenal and it is gone, destroyed.

He supported the Kurds just fine. Obama recognized Iraqi sovereignty and refused to support Maliki who had GW Bush by the balls in 2007 and 2008.

Egypt is fine and supported by the US to this day.

So you moan that Obama could not influence Putin but you support the white president elect who threatened to grant Putin every wish he's ever wanted - criticizes NATO. Give Putin the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

Your racism is showing.

peach174, post: 15820566
The countries that lowered their corp tax has had very good growth.
Fact.

Since the Great Bush recession, the US has the highest growth and economic recovery rate of any democratically run nation on the planet under Obama. Don't know what countries you are talking about.

Forum List

Back