A true emergency, record illegal immigration surge at the border

Really?

Amazing he waited 2 years to declare an “emergency” then… Funny how it only became an emergency after the leadership in the House changed…huh?
There's no mystery here. Nancy made it clear to the President that declaring a national emergency was the only way to get the fence built.

It was the only way he could keep a campaign promise…
Other Presidents have faced insurmountable congressional obstruction in keeping promises too...
None of them attempted to loot the treasury…
The people elected him in large part because of that promise and they expect him to keep it. You seem to think it is wrong for a President to keep his promises.

I have a problem with looting the treasury to pay for a program the Congress expressly chose not to fund.

No. But when the Congress says no, you negotiate, you don’t rob the bank. Obama didn’t rob the bank to pay for universal healthcare. Bush didn’t do it to pay for Iraq/Afghanistan. Reagan didn’t use it to bankrupt the USSR? Kennedy didn’t do it to get to the moon.

All of the above would have been much easier than the give and take of budget negotiations, right?
Those were in the days when the Democrats had issues they were willing to bargain for, but today's Democrats were clear that there was nothing they wanted enough to pay for the fence they had wanted to build right up until Trump also wanted it. Trump tried to bargain with them, offering them paths to citizenship for the "dreamers" and another 1,000,000 illegals and they gleefully turned him down. If the Democrats were interested in healthcare, they might have tried to gain concessions from the President, but they clearly no longer care about healthcare. In fact, it is not clear that today's Democratic Party has a serious interest in any national issue. Faced with such cynicism the President had no choice but to declare a national emergency since Congress, with the Democrats controlling the House, was clearly not fit to attend to the nation's business responsibly.

So?

The President doesn’t get to loot the treasury to fund items on his own

Okay, Canadians by far, overstay their 6 month temporary visas and begin living here permanently, over Mexicans, primarily because we issue more temp Visas to Canadians.... and we now have more illegals in this country that overstay their visas, verses illegals that cross the border.... so it is trending towards Canadians.... but I was wrong they are the second largest group of illegals here....Mexicans are nearly 50% of existing undocumented illegals.
Good information, and I thank you. I also give you a standing ovation for using words that I have NEVER seen before on this Forum: "I was wrong". You've renewed my faith that logical and civil discourse might be possible here, at least on occasion.

Concerning Canada, there doesn't seem to be a significant problem at least with illegal entry attempts or drug smuggling, nor is there any apparent problem with Canadian criminals. Based on this it would appear our Northern border security is at least adequate. There is always the possibility that this could change, but imo the current and very real threat is from the South.
I live in a state that borders Canada and we do have a lot of Canadians that live here.... maybe for just 6 months a year, that I don't know? I am closer to Quebec City, than Boston...

We rely on Canadians to come here and shop, year round... the Mall about 30 miles from me, even buses them in at least once a month, to shop... and we rely on them to fill our hotels during summer... and the State of Maine used to bus our seniors to Canada once a month, to fill their prescriptions there, because pharmaceuticals were half the price or less, than here in the USA....

Basically, I really wouldn't know a Canadian from a Mainer...

on the drugs thingy, I think there have been some major busts from Canada on the U.S. west coast borders... if memory serves....?

Are you saying it’s a crisis at the Canadian border too?

That’s news to me. You?

No.

What I am saying is that the struggle to find a justification for the wall lead the blob to say:

View attachment 249038

And I’m pointing out that our non-fenced-in northern border is just as open as our non-fenced-in southern border.

None of Trump’s flutters seem to care about that…. I wonder why?
The problem with your position is, we don’t have people invading our nation from the northern border.
Yes, we do... but because they are white, and speak our language, we give them temporary visas... but then they melt in to the crowd and don't go home. Mexicans and Canadians are the top two illegal immigrant populations in our country.
I don’t think so, based on this.

Amid focus on immigration from south, illegal crossings from Canada surge

So far this fiscal year, there have been at least 267 apprehensions along Vermont’s border with Canada, compared with 132 all of last year, according to statistics compiled by Nolan’s office.

In the border patrol sector that covers 300 miles of border with New York, Vermont and New Hampshire, agents have apprehended 324 people who crossed illegally from Canada so far this fiscal year, compared with 165 in all of 2017. Last month, agents apprehended 85 people across the three states, compared with 17 in June 2017 and 19 in June 2016, statistics show.
good info thanks!

But I was talking about illegals from Canada, become illegals because they overstay their Visas and do not go back home....

In 2015 alone, nearly 100,000 Canadians overstayed their Visas and began living here, illegally....

see the article I posted above....

They shouldn't be here, they should be rounded up and deported, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the invasion from the south.

Forum List

Back