A Wonderful Letter Ignored By An Editor - Why?

It was a good letter, however it does not address the what. 11,000,000 already living here illegally?

Because the bill we're discussing is about how to deal with those who are already here. I wonder what the letter-writer's solution to that would be.
It was not intended to address the 11m people living illicitly in this country. It was a letter defining a mindset that has changed in this country. From one where the people who came to this country asked only for an opportunity to live their life as they deemed fit, and to succeed or fail on their own efforts, to a mindset that demands no effort, only entitlement for being alive and in America.

You are correct, however. It is a very good letter. It just happens to be written at three levels above the average reading comprehension of the California citizen. Perhaps that is why the paper exercised discretion and did not publish.

Darkwind, your wisdom shines like a diamond.

- Jeri

A few thoughts

First is that the OC Register has a conservative editorial page/ Unlike the ultra-left LA Times, the Register is consistently center to right in the editorial section. The main part of the paper is pretty far left, but the Ed. staff are mostly Libertarians. The Register is owned an operated by Freedom Communications.

Now on to why the letter didn't get printed.

Around the nation, newspapers are going broke - the ultra-left LA Times and their parent, the Chicago Tribune, are bleeding millions each year. But the Register is turning a profit, and expanding. How? First off by offering an alternative to the far left spin offered by most of the print media. But also by embracing new technologies. The Register prints VERY few letters, and those it does print are generally by community leaders. What the Register does instead is offer a vibrant message board - similar to this one, where everyone gets a voice. And yes, the letter was carried on the message board.

Thank you so much Uncensored! I didn't know this. I will have to tell my friend who sent this letter to me. She was concerned that it never got the exposure it deserved! She will be so happy to hear this good news about the message board. How can I get a link to that board so that I can share that with her? Do you know? Thanks in advance. - Jeremiah

Last edited:
Thank you so much Censor! I didn't know this. I will have to tell my friend who sent this article to me. She was concerned that it never got the exposure it deserved! She will be so happy to hear this good news about the message board. How can I get a link to that board so that I can share that with her? Do you know? Thanks in advance. - Jeremiah

The caveat is that you must be a subscriber to the paper to get on.

Apparently the OP "letter" has been around since 2006: snopes.com: Immigrants From Different Eras

Not exactly. Snope findings report that it is a mixture. ( fact and fiction ) Where is the fiction I'd like to know! How conveniently this couple who founded Snopes hide the facts, G. This is why I don't like Snopes! Now while I have the greatest respect for your intelligence on the subject of finance, gold, investments, I cannot agree with your fact checker here. Snopes troubles me.

I read it and it is quite confusing. Maybe you can sort it out. I don't believe the ladies letter was ever published.

On the subject of the letter itself. Could you please make a comment as to how you feel this impacts America? Thank you in advance for your reply. - J.

Snopes troubles people, because they root out the bullshit. Check the link to the letters the OCR did publish. Perhaps they had space issues. It's not like they didn't print messages on both sides of the issue.

Letters: The immigration debate - Opinion - The Orange County Register

I don't see why snopes should be any less believable than a random email that's been around the world several times since it was originally sent.

:eusa_hand: HOLD THE PHONE!!
You and I have been over this before, Konradv. Two radical left wing liberals - former comedians with no experience in politics are rooting out the BS?! What color is your sky these days? - Jeri

Thank you so much Censor! I didn't know this. I will have to tell my friend who sent this article to me. She was concerned that it never got the exposure it deserved! She will be so happy to hear this good news about the message board. How can I get a link to that board so that I can share that with her? Do you know? Thanks in advance. - Jeremiah

The caveat is that you must be a subscriber to the paper to get on.

What? ! :eek:

Oh well, I think the letter got some attention today. Thank you for letting me know! I'll tell her. Better yet I'll send her the link to this thread so she can read what all of you wonderful people had to say today! - Jeremiah

Last edited:
Actually the immigrants in the old days just wanted a life, but still a third still went back home.

WWII actually made one country out of us.

Pubs gave those 11 million an open invitation to come in and work. "Amnesty" this time will be a bitch, and Pubs STILL won't allow a good work/id card, so it'll all happen AGAIN

Last edited:
Actually the immigrants in the old days just wanted a life, but still a third still went back home.

WWII actually made one country out of us.

Pubs gave those 11 million an open invitation to come in and work. "Amnesty" this time will be a bitch, and Pubs STILL won't allow a good work/id card, so it'll all happen AGAIN

neither will people like you Frankie....

Forum List

Back