Academies of Science finds GMOs not harmful to human health

[TRIGGER WARNING: CONSERVATIVE WITH AN OPINION HERE!!!]

Unless the modified genetics in question have been found to secrete some kind of poisonous biological fluid into what would otherwise simply be an ear of corn, I'm not convinced.

"GMO"-- or hybrid corn-- is what saved the dust bowl.

Every domesticated dog on the face of the Earth is a result of artificial (human) genetic selection. Without GMO dogs, the Koreans would have tragically starved to death thousands of years ago.

That being said, I grow as much organic tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, and peppers that I can to supplement good eating habits, along with my organic [blue] chicken eggs and organic Katahdin.

It's the pesticides and ammonium-based fertilizers that I'm worried about.
Ironically, GMO's can help reduce the need for pesticides and fertilizers.

It could, but that would also affect profit margins. So it won't. ;)
Profit margins for pesticide and fertilizer manufacturers, not for seed producers.

The same people making pesticides and fertilizers are the same people making GMO seeds. :)

Unless the modified genetics in question have been found to secrete some kind of poisonous biological fluid into what would otherwise simply be an ear of corn, I'm not convinced.

Every domesticated dog on the face of the Earth is a result of artificial (human) genetic selection. Without GMO dogs, the Koreans would have tragically starved to death thousands of years ago.

That being said, I grow as much organic tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, and peppers that I can to supplement good eating habits, along with my organic [blue] chicken eggs and organic Katahdin.

Profit margins for pesticide and fertilizer manufacturers, not for seed producers.

The same people making pesticides and fertilizers are the same people making GMO seeds. :)
Yet they produce crops that don't require as much.

Worldwide, insects are a major cause of crop damage and yield loss, requiring farmers to often make multiple applications of chemical pesticides to combat insect pests. To protect the yield potential of plants and significantly decrease pesticides use, insect-resistant traits in transgenic plants using Bt(Bacillus thuringiensis) were developed.

Crops with a Bt trait have been modified to produce a protein that is toxic to various forms of insect larvae. Bt proteins have long been used as topical sprays in conventional and organic agriculture because they are effective and can be used safely. Crops that are genetically engineered to carry the Bt trait allow farmers to protect their crops while eliminating or significantly decreasing the amount of pesticides sprayed.

Global Insect Resistance Management

Except they dont. Monsanto has you guys literally eating out of the palm of their hands. I guess that means more profits at your expense.

Herbicide-Resistant 'Super Weeds' Increasingly Plaguing Farmers
Actually, they do.

Except they dont. Monsanto has you guys literally eating out of the palm of their hands. I guess that means more profits at your expense.

Actually, they do.
What explains the appearance of animals/insects that are resistant to pesticides?

Limits Sought on GMO Corn as Pest Resistance Grows

This should not be a surprise to anyone with common sense. Man has been “genetically modifying” crops since the first time they found ways to make grasses produce more seeds for food. It also goes along with taming wild animals to change them for better use as food and other substances. Most of the anti-GMO types scream and yell about Monsanto as if that company is the root of all evil. I suppose they'd rather see more millions die of starvation.

Full story @ Academies of Science finds GMOs not harmful to human health

Garbage.
It has been proven over and over by many, many many studies.
Look again - and I bet you find this study was financed by one of the agri-business counsels.

Actually, they do.
What explains the appearance of animals/insects that are resistant to pesticides?

The incorrect usage of pesticides, duh. The same thing happens when you don't take the full prescription of an antibiotic because you start feeling better. You create drug resistant bugs. Pest resistant crops are a step toward using LESS pesticides and having HEALTHIER crops. Yet you seem to resist the idea, while simultaneously bemoaning the use of pesticides. Odd.

Actually, they do.

The incorrect usage of pesticides, duh. The same thing happens when you don't take the full prescription of an antibiotic because you start feeling better. You create drug resistant bugs. Pest resistant crops are a step toward using LESS pesticides and having HEALTHIER crops. Yet you seem to resist the idea, while simultaneously bemoaning the use of pesticides. Odd.
So lets follow this logic. If you create pesticide resistant bugs wouldnt that increase the amount of pesticide you need to use in order to kill them?

Worldwide, insects are a major cause of crop damage and yield loss, requiring farmers to often make multiple applications of chemical pesticides to combat insect pests. To protect the yield potential of plants and significantly decrease pesticides use, insect-resistant traits in transgenic plants using Bt(Bacillus thuringiensis) were developed.

Crops with a Bt trait have been modified to produce a protein that is toxic to various forms of insect larvae. Bt proteins have long been used as topical sprays in conventional and organic agriculture because they are effective and can be used safely. Crops that are genetically engineered to carry the Bt trait allow farmers to protect their crops while eliminating or significantly decreasing the amount of pesticides sprayed.

If I find pests on my plants, I mix mineral oil with water and give it a good spray. Problem solved.

Pests in the soil? Diatomaceous Earth. Bye-bye pests and their eggs, hello added nutrients!

There are a dozen more completely natural remedies out there, which can be bought at your local grocery store.

Monsanto isn't the real problem here. People who don't know jack schnitzel about growing food are. ;)

If I find pests on my plants, I mix mineral oil with water and give it a good spray. Problem solved.

Pests in the soil? Diatomaceous Earth. Bye-bye pests and their eggs, hello added nutrients!

There are a dozen more completely natural remedies out there, which can be bought at your local grocery store.

Monsanto isn't the real problem here. People who don't know jack schnitzel about growing food are. ;)
Like most people with a market they wish to keep, Monsanto preys on that ignorance. I find that if I let nature take its course the pests are killed off by predators.

Last edited:

Actually, they do.

So lets follow this logic. If you create pesticide resistant bugs wouldnt that increase the amount of pesticide you need to use in order to kill them?
Ah, but that's where your logic falls apart. Pesticide resistant bugs are created from the use of pesticides. Plants being naturally resistant to bugs means the use of LESS pesticides.

Actually, they do.

Ah, but that's where your logic falls apart. Pesticide resistant bugs are created from the use of pesticides. Plants being naturally resistant to bugs means the use of LESS pesticides.
I dont know of many food plants being naturally resistant to bugs so that leaves a large gaping hole in your logic.

Actually, they do.

I dont know of many food plants being naturally resistant to bugs so that leaves a large gaping hole in your logic.
Perhaps you missed post #22? You modify a plant so it naturally produces its own pest control measures. That's being done now.

So you mix mineral oil with pesticides and wash it into the soil.
Do you also wash off your driveway with oil cutting products?

Perhaps you missed post #22? You modify a plant so it naturally produces its own pest control measures. That's being done now.
Perhaps you missed the definition of "natural"?

nat·u·ral
ˈnaCH(ə)rəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

A great deal of the concern is not with the food itself, but with the effects of handing seed production to private enterprise.

nat·u·ral
ˈnaCH(ə)rəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
Of course. The plant produces its own pesticide, with no need for man to apply any. Your quibbling over the use of a word only serves as a feeble detraction from your main failure in logic. You don't need to add as much pesticide if the plant already produces it.

nat·u·ral
ˈnaCH(ə)rəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
Of course. The plant produces its own pesticide, with no need for man to apply any. Your quibbling over the use of a word only serves as a feeble detraction from your main failure in logic. You don't need to add as much pesticide if the plant already produces it.
You just said man modified it? Are you retarded or is it just bad reading comprehension? Now explain to me again how pesticide resistant bugs develop?

Last edited:

So you mix mineral oil with pesticides and wash it into the soil.
Do you also wash off your driveway with oil cutting products?

Nature washes my gravel driveway for me. The rest of that, I have no idea what you just said. lol

Forum List

Back