Affordable Care Act

Do you have employer provided health care?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
I picked middle of the road, want better, pay more.

Back in the mid 2000s, I got a $2,000 deductible policy for only $67 per month. That was an affordable policy. Thanks to Obama care, those policies are illegal, and gone.

67 dollars in 2000 is about 98 in 2015.

Single 20,000
View attachment 47581
Single 27 making 50,000
View attachment 47580

I'll look it up, but I did not say 2000. I said mid 2000s. Meaning 2005 or 2006.

Moreover I got a policy for a friend, that was only $52 a month.

Additionally, it does not say $85. It says $149 per month.

The 85 dollars was if a person was 27, non smoker, and making 25000 dollars per year. The 149 is if they were making 50000.

That is not what it says. Can you not read the fine print?

Are you talking about the fine print of "before tax credit?" If so what is your point?

Back in the mid 2000s, I got a $2,000 deductible policy for only $67 per month. That was an affordable policy. Thanks to Obama care, those policies are illegal, and gone.

67 dollars in 2000 is about 98 in 2015.

Single 20,000
View attachment 47581
Single 27 making 50,000
View attachment 47580

I'll look it up, but I did not say 2000. I said mid 2000s. Meaning 2005 or 2006.

Moreover I got a policy for a friend, that was only $52 a month.

Additionally, it does not say $85. It says $149 per month.

The 85 dollars was if a person was 27, non smoker, and making 25000 dollars per year. The 149 is if they were making 50000.

That is not what it says. Can you not read the fine print?

Are you talking about the fine print of "before tax credit?" If so what is your point?

Tax credit does not help me. What is the dollar amount on my bill going to be? That's the only thing that matters.

Reduce your military spending to say the average of the next 5 top spenders, and everyone could probably get free health care.

Non sequitur. There is no "free".
Free to the user, just go to Canada. Other countries as well.

"Free to the user" is someone else's burden..

And frankly, I don't give a rat's ass what other countries do. Why should I?
Because you could learn from others how to do it right. But I'm guessing that you're not too good at sharing. :D

Reduce your military spending to say the average of the next 5 top spenders, and everyone could probably get free health care.

Because you could learn from others how to do it right. But I'm guessing that you're not too good at sharing. :D

Yeah. And who has done it "right"?

Lots of countries, England, Canada, the Scandinavian ones...

Brit health care is terrible. Canadians sued their government to get pay for service care, and routinely come to America to pay for better care. Scandinavia varies, is often no better.

All are models to not follow.

Brit health care is terrible. Canadians sued their government to get pay for service care, and routinely come to America to pay for better care. Scandinavia varies, is often no better.

All are models that are better than the US.

By what measure?

Wait times are years in those countries. You'd rather wait years, instead of a few days?

Survival rates are lower in those countries. You'd rather have a higher chance of dying?

Care is simply denied in those countries. You'd rather be told 'sucks to be you, good luck'?

Taxes are almost double in those countries. You'd rather save a few hundred in insurance premiums, and lose thousands in income, capital gains, and sales tax?

Name one area, one measurement, in which they are better?

You have no idea what you are talking about. I've been to Europe. Been to their hospitals. It's not the same. Not even close.

what's so great about a $5000 deductible? I remember when I was married our insurance was $2500 deductible. So basically you're now paying for everything OUT of pocket if you plan on reaching $5000 deductible.

and you could have done that without BEING FORCE to purchase insurance by your Federal Government

there is nothing so great about a 5000 deductible even less with an additional 5000 out of pocket per person

what's so great about a $5000 deductible? I remember when I was married our insurance was $2500 deductible. So basically you're now paying for everything OUT of pocket if you plan on reaching $5000 deductible.

If I read the information right, you pay the co-pays until you reach the deductible then there are no co-pay. Is that correct?

after what ever max out of pocket has been met besides the deductible

Due to life choices and circumstances we are losing our employer provided health care. So I went to the healthcare.gov web site to look for plans. What I found is this.

1. The web site is extremely easy to use.

2. The cost, while high, is not nearly as expensive as it was when I looked into it when ACA became the law of the land.

3. Big penalty for making money and not having employer provided coverage.

Here is an example of what I found for 1 person first making 50,000 the second making 25000. Which seems to me to be affordable considering that car insurance might cost as much.

What I don't like is that the cost should be the same for everyone since it is required by the government to purchase. In other words make it a tax deduction, if it is not already.

What I am going to call about is if I can sign up the wife for one plan, using her income. And one plan for me using mine. I don't think this is the case.

Not cheap, but not as expensive as I thought and anyone should be able to navigate the site.

Still, employer sponsored health care is far cheaper and better.

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

Employer sponsored health care seems cheaper to you because your employer is paying for most of it with money that he might otherwise be willing to pay directly to you.

If you are like most people with employer sponsored health care coverage, you are only paying for about 1/3 of it out of your pocket.

Triple your current premium and see if it is still cheaper.

You think you are covering the total cost of your insurance through Obamacare ?

Do it right ?

I'd love for someone to explain or define what "right" is ?

Taxing the crapp out of people ?

Due to life choices and circumstances we are losing our employer provided health care. So I went to the healthcare.gov web site to look for plans. What I found is this.

1. The web site is extremely easy to use.

2. The cost, while high, is not nearly as expensive as it was when I looked into it when ACA became the law of the land.

3. Big penalty for making money and not having employer provided coverage.

Here is an example of what I found for 1 person first making 50,000 the second making 25000. Which seems to me to be affordable considering that car insurance might cost as much.

What I don't like is that the cost should be the same for everyone since it is required by the government to purchase. In other words make it a tax deduction, if it is not already.

What I am going to call about is if I can sign up the wife for one plan, using her income. And one plan for me using mine. I don't think this is the case.

Not cheap, but not as expensive as I thought and anyone should be able to navigate the site.

Still, employer sponsored health care is far cheaper and better.

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

Employer sponsored health care seems cheaper to you because your employer is paying for most of it with money that he might otherwise be willing to pay directly to you.

If you are like most people with employer sponsored health care coverage, you are only paying for about 1/3 of it out of your pocket.

Triple your current premium and see if it is still cheaper.

You think you are covering the total cost of your insurance through Obamacare ?

in most cases the tax payer is footing a sizable chunk of the premium

I saw that too. Absolutely hilarious.

It illustrates two aspects of failed left-wing logic.

First, all leftists assume that everyone loves their policies. Like Hitler in Germany, and like Gaddafi in Libya, and Chavez in Venezuela, they all routinely surround themselves with sycophants, and convince themselves that everyone else in the country loves them just the same.

So here's Krugman, and he steps out of his echo chamber into the rest of the world, and assumes every Canadian loves their health care system. Not so much.

Second, he like all leftists, assumed that taking a poll matters. If the majority says the moon is made of cheese, then therefore it is. Just like Greece assumed if they had a poll against austerity, they simply wouldn't have austerity.

That's fail. Canadians health care is bad. Everyone in the entire country could say it's good all they want. You could have a million polls, where people voted it to be good. It's still bad.

By what measure?

Wait times are years in those countries. You'd rather wait years, instead of a few days?

Survival rates are lower in those countries. You'd rather have a higher chance of dying?

Care is simply denied in those countries. You'd rather be told 'sucks to be you, good luck'?

Taxes are almost double in those countries. You'd rather save a few hundred in insurance premiums, and lose thousands in income, capital gains, and sales tax?

Name one area, one measurement, in which they are better?

You have no idea what you are talking about. I've been to Europe. Been to their hospitals. It's not the same. Not even close.
I'm not even going to argue with you, you base your arguments on falseties. Thinking that the US system is the best is just absurd.

Do it right ?

The US has enough tax revenue, you just prefer to spend a huge chunk of it attacking people for no reason instead of investing in your own people's health.

Theft is never "right", and if they are so right, why are they in even more trouble than we?

No, I'm not very good at involuntary sharing, at gunpoint.

Do it right ?

Right is not calling an unaffordable 0olicy with a 12k deductible insurance.

Forum List

Back