Affordable Healthcare Act Premium Calculator Tells Your Mandatory Monthly Premium

Tens of millions of people's jaws are going to hit the ground when they find out what their monthly mandatory premium will be if they don't have insurance through their employers. I was curious and entered my numbers in the ACA calculator and was flabbergasted at what I would have to pay. I have a feeling that bankruptcy attorneys are going to get rich.

Find out what you will have to pay here:
Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

OK, Birther, I'll bite.

How much did it say you will have to pay? You were flabbergasted, huh?

Details, please.

I put in a household income of $150,000 with two persons in mid-fifties, one a smoker, and one 24 year old non-smoker; the premium for a Silver plan with max out of pocket of $12,700 is $20,621 per year. An employer plan with the same individuals and a max of $3,500 out of pocket costs about $15,000.

So you're upset about spending 20K of your 150K on health insurance? What, are you expecting people trying to live on under 50K/year to subsidize your costs?

I'm not entirely certain what you think you've got to complain about there......

If you come off a Group Plan today and you have had Cancer you will NOT get an individual policy.

Jan 1 that changes.

HIPPA ONLY secures group to group....and PHI (personal health info safety).
I'm sorry, but simply restating again what you said before is not an explanation. Either the Wall Street Journal is wrong or there are some provisions of HIPAA you are unaware of. If you have no further evidence I have to go with the WSJ.

I don't what you believe and what you don't.

You are quite free to be wrong.

What I believe or you believe is completely irrelevant; only what you can prove is relevant. Since I have provided evidence from the Dept of Labor and you have provided your unsubstantiated opinion, I guess it's clear who is wrong. Really, is this the "I say so, so it's true" thread?

OK, Birther, I'll bite.

How much did it say you will have to pay? You were flabbergasted, huh?

Details, please.

I put in a household income of $150,000 with two persons in mid-fifties, one a smoker, and one 24 year old non-smoker; the premium for a Silver plan with max out of pocket of $12,700 is $20,621 per year. An employer plan with the same individuals and a max of $3,500 out of pocket costs about $15,000.

So you're upset about spending 20K of your 150K on health insurance? What, are you expecting people trying to live on under 50K/year to subsidize your costs?

I'm not entirely certain what you think you've got to complain about there......

Please, show me where I said I'm upset about paying "20K of my 150K"? I never said I make $150K; I said I "put in" $150K, so that the calculator would not include any subsidies, and then compared the result to a health policy for which I know the premiums. It came out $5,000 higher, with much higher out of pocket costs. And even if I had said my income was $150K, what does that have to do with the premiums? Should those who make more have a higher premium than anyone else in a similar risk profile, just because they make more? That would subsidize the under $50K people, not the $150K people. Should those who make more also pay extra for gas, electric and groceries? Why, so it fits your definition of "fairness"?

People who make more income are generally taxed more than those who don’t; that’s how governments subsidize those who make less, not by charging more for individual goods. Despite the mandatory nature of health insurance under Obamacare and the SCOTUS definition of tax, it is still a product, like any other.

Thanks for the clarification.

When my husband was unemployed some 7 or 8 years back, I tried comparing prices on *individual* health care for a family: the range on similar products (exact coverage parameters were really hard to determine, surprisingly!) was from about $1500 -$2900. The range was due to the simple fact that many insurance companies basically didn't want to be bothered writing policies for individuals.

Incidentally - this was in Mass. - the insurer whose premiums were the *lowest* was......Blue Cross.

Also incidentally, that $1500 was bigger than our mortgage - including RE taxes and insurance.

Maybe the folks who are getting 100% 'company-paid' health insurance will appreciate it more as a result of learning what it would cost them for a similar plan. My husband's employer pays 77.5% of the premiums for the plans they offer - BUT those plans all seem to involve HSA/FSA accounts.

One more thing to learn about....

As with all the kinds of scams it will be the people right above the subsidy cutoff that will take one for the team. Running some numbers, an individual with no dependents, and an income of 35k will be forced to spend over $3000/year on shitty, overpriced insurance.

But at least the insurance industry will get it's pound of flesh. Fuck Congress. Fuck Obama. Fuck Roberts. Corporate whores all.

Interestingly I ran the numbers and my unsubsidized premium will be almost exactly the same as I am paying currently with a slightly lower deductible. Of course, this is just an estimate. I'm not going to judge anything until I see the actual available plans and rates next week.

95% if Americans get their insurance from their employer. Individuals shopping on state marketplaces are finding lower premiums than they were paying before. Those that didn't have insurance may be finding themselves suffering from "sticker shock" but it's nothing compared to what we, the taxpayer, had been paying for their care.

So what's the plan when employers figure out it's cheaper to just pay the fine and let the employee figure out where the insurance going to come from? That is the next step in all of this: employers getting out of insurance altogether.

Employer based insurance was the main cause of these massive increases in healthcare spending over the years. Getting all employers to drop coverage would be the best thing that could happen in the long run.

06n1.png

I'm insured through Tricare. I currently pay about $540/year for my family of 4...about 1/7th of what Obamacare would cost me, if I got the subsidy.

You're getting a great deal, and you're not going to lose that deal, so what is your complaint?

Tens of millions of people's jaws already have or will hit the ground when they find out what their monthly mandatory premium will be for Obamacare if they don't have insurance through their employers. I was curious and entered my numbers in the ACA calculator and was flabbergasted at what I would have to pay. I have a feeling that bankruptcy attorneys are going to get rich because of this.

Find out what you will have to pay here:
Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

It's more than my companies is a month by about $35. and I can't afford that either.

cheaper for me to pay the fine.

06n1.png

I'm insured through Tricare. I currently pay about $540/year for my family of 4...about 1/7th of what Obamacare would cost me, if I got the subsidy.

You're getting a great deal, and you're not going to lose that deal, so what is your complaint?

Exactly. Why would someone who has insurance/ health care subsidized by our tax dollars be bitching so much about other people having insurance/ health care subsidized by our tx dollars?

You are not losing your insurance. But if you did before the ACA was pased, it would have cost you 15k instead of under 4k for a plan of this caliber. Is that cool with you?

06n1.png

I'm NOT complaining, for my family.

Other families, though, are going to get royally shafted, despite the rainbow and unicorn claims of Obamacare fluffers.

Exactly. Why would someone who has insurance/ health care subsidized by our tax dollars be bitching so much about other people having insurance/ health care subsidized by our tx dollars?
I get Tricare because I served this nation in uniform for 20 years. Stop pretending I didn't earn it.
You are not losing your insurance. But if you did before the ACA was pased, it would have cost you 15k instead of under 4k for a plan of this caliber. Is that cool with you?
Unsubstantiated claim is unsubstantiated.

I get Tricare because I served this nation in uniform for 20 years. Stop pretending I didn't earn it.
Unsubstantiated claim is unsubstantiated.

God damn it!

You served and earned. Congratulations. Now be a real man and concede the fact that EVERYONE serves in one way or another. You would not have served shit if the tax dollars of everyone else did not foot the bill.

I never joined the military...but my father lost part of his face and much of his mobility serving. And he NEVER EVER used it to gain an advantage in a fucking argument.

You are deserving of affordable health care. AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE.

Shit!

Last edited:
95% if Americans get their insurance from their employer. Individuals shopping on state marketplaces are finding lower premiums than they were paying before. Those that didn't have insurance may be finding themselves suffering from "sticker shock" but it's nothing compared to what we, the taxpayer, had been paying for their care.

So what's the plan when employers figure out it's cheaper to just pay the fine and let the employee figure out where the insurance going to come from? That is the next step in all of this: employers getting out of insurance altogether.

Aren't the fines higher than the effective rate of providing healthcare?

Forum List

Back