Air Force Thunderbirds too male, too white, top general warns

It's like saying the Spurs need some midgets on the team...for the sake of diversity.

Whatever happened to earning something? Nobody should be given something because they are black, female, or whatever.Earn it
wtf is wrong with you? who said the members wouldn't have to earn their spot?
The point is .....advertise the job...don't say midgets have a shot. You need top one percent skills.

It's like saying the Spurs need some midgets on the team...for the sake of diversity.

Whatever happened to earning something? Nobody should be given something because they are black, female, or whatever.Earn it

Go away ya old troll
that is the best you have? even you must realize that complaining about this is silly

Uncle Ferd says...

... "Mebbe dey want the best qualified pilots...

... so dey don't have no crashes...

... dem planes cost a lotta money...

... how relevant is diversity...

... when ya barrel-rollin' atta speed o' sound?"

The point is .....advertise the job...don't say midgets have a shot. You need top one percent skills.
do they really need 'top one percent skills?' i doubt it, but that's just a gut feeling.

the request is for commanders to advertise the job. just what you wanted.

Uncle Ferd says...

... "Mebbe dey want the best qualified pilots...

... so dey don't have no crashes...

... dem planes cost a lotta money."
more or less expensive than the planes the pilots are already flying?

The Air Force’s vaunted Thunderbirds jet fighter aerobatics team is not diverse enough inside the cockpit.

Brig. Gen. Christopher M. Short, commander of the 57th Wing at NellisAir Force Base, Nevada, said in an email last month that of 15 pilot applicants for three openings, 14 are white.

He asked fighter wing commanders to stir up more candidates who “don’t necessarily look like each of you.” He bemoaned the fact that, not only is there a lack of diversity, but the number of applicants to make the world-famous team has taken a puzzling drop in the past two years.

“I am asking for your help in finding the right pilots for next year’s Thunderbirds team,” is how Gen. Short begins his email.

“While we have several qualified candidates that many of you submitted, I am lacking the depth in talent we’ve seen in previous years and I am lacking in diversity of gender, ethnicity and [aircraft type] background,”Gen. Short wrote.
Air Force Thunderbirds prioritize diversity in cockpit amid puzzling decline in applicants
----------------------------------------------------

Just another reason to hate liberals more today than you did yesterday.

I presume that applying for being part of this elite group of pilots was open for EVERYONE.

For the apparent politically incorrect imbalance of diversity, it takes a mentally challenged Brig. Gen. to blame the whites, rather than those non-whites who failed to apply.

Good thing that at this stage gender and sexual orientation being handicapped has not entered the discussion. This dunce would have complained about that too.

Yeah let's lower the standards on everything now.

The Thunderbirds, Blue Angels etc are for the best of the best they are a pure meritocracy

If you want in then fucking earn it
who said anything about lowering standards?

wtf is wrong with you?
Cut the shit the implication of saying anything about race is that diversity should trump ability
you cut the shit. that is not the implication at all. the implication is they want a diverse group for their recruiting tool. anything else is your imagination.
If any people were qualified they would have already been on the squad
Now they want to make a point to get color on the squad and we all know that will take priority over ability

It always does

Wow.

I saw today that the NFL is complaining of far too few white running backs and defensive backs being produced as applicants to the April NFL draft which means those positions will remain nearly 100% black males.

Oh wait....no they didnt....

The Thunderbirds, Blue Angels etc are for the best of the best they are a pure meritocracy

wtf is wrong with you?
Cut the shit the implication of saying anything about race is that diversity should trump ability
you cut the shit. that is not the implication at all. the implication is they want a diverse group for their recruiting tool. anything else is your imagination.
Now they want to make a point to get color on the squad and we all know that will take priority over ability

It always does

It will.

Imagine 20 people put in for those 3 spots.

18 are white males.
1 is a black female.
1 is a gay Muslim male.

Have much of a head start do the last 2 have in the new Obama era of selecting "the best"?

Funny how people like this general consider race as a qualification.

Wow.

I saw today that the NFL is complaining of far too few white running backs and defensive backs being produced as applicants to the April NFL draft which means those positions will remain nearly 100% black males.

Oh wait....no they didnt....

I had a discussion along those line over 10 years ago when the Rooney Rule was put in place. It said that when head coaching jobs and senior football operations jobs opened up, minority candidates had to be interviewed. A coworker said he thought that was a good idea. I offered him a proposal. I said that the NFL should divide head coaching positions by race based on the makeup of society. That meant of the 32 teams, 22 would have white coaches, 4 would be black, etc. He thought that was a good idea. The offer also proposed the makeup of the teams be done that way. He didn't like that and said the teams should be based on qualifications not race. What a hypocrite.

Go ahead, stick a black female, Muslim or Mexican affirmative action hire in the cockpit and see what happens!

uk-blast.gif

The Air Force’s vaunted Thunderbirds jet fighter aerobatics team is not diverse enough inside the cockpit.

Brig. Gen. Christopher M. Short, commander of the 57th Wing at NellisAir Force Base, Nevada, said in an email last month that of 15 pilot applicants for three openings, 14 are white.

He asked fighter wing commanders to stir up more candidates who “don’t necessarily look like each of you.” He bemoaned the fact that, not only is there a lack of diversity, but the number of applicants to make the world-famous team has taken a puzzling drop in the past two years.

“I am asking for your help in finding the right pilots for next year’s Thunderbirds team,” is how Gen. Short begins his email.

“While we have several qualified candidates that many of you submitted, I am lacking the depth in talent we’ve seen in previous years and I am lacking in diversity of gender, ethnicity and [aircraft type] background,”Gen. Short wrote.
Air Force Thunderbirds prioritize diversity in cockpit amid puzzling decline in applicants
----------------------------------------------------

Just another reason to hate liberals more today than you did yesterday.

Good , with the demographic shift you will have a lot to whine and cry about

wtf is wrong with you?
that is your imagination speaking again. pilots need to apply for consideration

Funny how people like this general consider race as a qualification.
they are a recruiting tool. diversity is desirable in a recruiting tool

So they can't get black recruits without a black face in the cockpit to show them?? Racist black kids.

The problem here isn't necessarily that people are getting pushed through who aren't, it's that the education system in the US isn't fair. I don't mean fair in the sort of typical liberal meaning of everyone should have the same education, no matter their intelligence, I mean fair in the poor people are often getting much worse education than richer people, even within the public school system.

I have no problem with people paying for private school on top of paying their taxes which goes to public schools, but I do have a problem with the inequality within public schools, and the lack of resolve to deal with problems that affect poor people in the first place.
A whole lot if the "inequity" in public school education, especially inner city, would disappear if the students came to the classroom with the attitude they're their to get an education rather than a platform to enhance their street cred with their peers by acting like assholes instead.

wtf is wrong with you?

So then how many people of color have applied for consideration?

If any had and they were qualified they would have already been on the squad so what was your point?

wtf is wrong with you?

So then how many people of color have applied for consideration?

If any had and they were qualified they would have already been on the squad so what was your point?
read the op. 14 of 15 applicants were white, and he only got 15 applicants.

the general was not happy with either the number of applicants or the diversity and is asking commanders to help recruit for the openings.

i really don't understand why you think this is a problem

Forum List

Back