Air Force Thunderbirds too male, too white, top general warns

Yeah, if I'm a highly trained Thunderbird pilot I'm gonna feel real safe flying a tight formation or during tricky maneuvers knowing one of the team's new members got their seat because they're not white or male.
so you think they're going to choose unqualified people?
Not unqualified...just less than the best...in a job that demands the best.
the actual job demands diversity. and you're making an assumption that white males would be the best
The facts are that you have to be able to fly the airplane...not that you look good in a flight suit.
so what's the problem in looking for more diverse applicants?

remember, the team is a recruiting tool first and foremost

The Air Force doesn't even need to recruit.

It's like saying the Spurs need some midgets on the team...for the sake of diversity.

Whatever happened to earning something? Nobody should be given something because they are black, female, or whatever.Earn it
wtf is wrong with you? who said the members wouldn't have to earn their spot?
The point is .....advertise the job...don't say midgets have a shot. You need top one percent skills.
do they really need 'top one percent skills?' i doubt it, but that's just a gut feeling.

the request is for commanders to advertise the job. just what you wanted.

Your gut is as stupid as your posts.

Yeah, if I'm a highly trained Thunderbird pilot I'm gonna feel real safe flying a tight formation or during tricky maneuvers knowing one of the team's new members got their seat because they're not white or male.
the actual job demands diversity. and you're making an assumption that white males would be the best

The job demands diversity? WTF do you know about flying F-16s?
that's not the job

It's like saying the Spurs need some midgets on the team...for the sake of diversity.

Whatever happened to earning something? Nobody should be given something because they are black, female, or whatever.Earn it
The point is .....advertise the job...don't say midgets have a shot. You need top one percent skills.
do they really need 'top one percent skills?' i doubt it, but that's just a gut feeling.

aerial acrobatics is a top one percent skill?
just doesn't ring true.

that's not the job
The job is to shine a light on the mission and the people in the USAF. The job is a competition to find the best fighter pilots to fly the best fighters in risky flying formations. If a woman of color can best the competition....she's in. End of story.

just doesn't ring true.
My son flew the F15 and F 16....what do you think combat flying is? Flying next to one another and waving pink hankies at one another? Get a grip.

just doesn't ring true.
My son flew the F15 and F 16....what do you think combat flying is? Flying next to one another and waving pink hankies at one another? Get a grip.
so you're saying that all fighter pilots gave those skills?

just doesn't ring true.
The top pilots are identified during pilot training...by their instructors...during a very competitive year long school. The top pilots get the fighter assignments...because of their demonstrated skill and situational awareness. From there on out the competition goes on throughout their career.

that's not the job

Uh, yes that is the most important part of the job!

How many B-52 pilots do you think applied? KC-10 pilots? Flying the F-16 is a step-down for most fighter jocks as they are older and mostly regulated to Air National Guard units. The hot dogs are flying the F-22 and F-35.

just doesn't ring true.

Ever done it? How would you know?

Stop talking out of your ass!

just doesn't ring true.
The top pilots are identified during pilot training...by their instructors...during a very competitive year long school. The top pilots get the fighter assignments...because of their demonstrated skill and situational awareness. From there on out the competition goes on throughout their career.
I'm sorry, i took "top 1%" to mean only the top 1% of fighter pilots had the skills.

clearly most in the air force are not fighter pilots, but of those that are the number capable of being in the Thunderbirds would be much larger than 1%. again, just my guess.

just doesn't ring true.
I'm sorry, i took "top 1%" to mean only the top 1% of fighter pilots had the skills.

clearly most in the air force are not fighter pilots, but of those that are the number capable of being in the Thunderbirds would be much larger than 1%. again, just my guess.
Again..it's a competition...to find the best of the capable volunteers. The best of the best...no matter what they look like.

just doesn't ring true.

Again..it's a competition...to find the best of the capable volunteers. The best of the best...no matter what they look like.
I'm in no way disagreeing with that. neither was the general

The implication is if they apply they'll make it. The fact is first they must apply...and think they're among the best. You have to want it and make it. Nothing is stopping them. Believe me...if you're a fighter pilot your shit does not stink...but many want to prepare for combat...not air shows.

The implication is if they apply they'll make it. The fact is first they must apply...and think they're among the best. You have to want it and make it. Nothing is stopping them. Believe me...if you're a fighter pilot your shit does not stink...but many want to prepare for combat...not air shows.
exactly. fighting the battle of the Wichita memorial day air show isn't what they signed up for.

which is why the general asked for help recruiting applicants.

i mean really, only 15 applicants for 3 positions? that won't get you the best

and i disagree with what you feel the implication is. he wants a more diverse pool. if being a minority was all that was needes 1 of 15 would do.

exactly. fighting the battle of the Wichita memorial day air show isn't what they signed up for.

which is why the general asked for help recruiting applicants.

i mean really, only 15 applicants for 3 positions? that won't get you the best

and i disagree with what you feel the implication is. he wants a more diverse pool. if being a minority was all that was needes 1 of 15 would do.
The general wants his second star.

I can only tell you that white males hate thinking other people can do their job just as well if not better. If white guys are making the decisions we already know who they want to pick. They want to maintain and glamorize white males so they can combat their inferiority complex.

Forum List

Back