airforce now forces you to swear to god

If onlywe had a commander in chief who would step in an use his power constructively instead of sympathizing with black criminals.
what
You understand Obama is Commander in Chief and can step in and take care of this with one EO, right?
SO why doesnt he?
or let the courts take care of it.....

Of course he does that and you guys cry about how he is a dictator
He's the fucking commander in chief. He has the power to do something about it. Dont need any court to deal with it. Why won't Obama act??

If onlywe had a commander in chief who would step in an use his power constructively instead of sympathizing with black criminals.
what
You understand Obama is Commander in Chief and can step in and take care of this with one EO, right?
SO why doesnt he?

um civilians courts wouldn't have jurisdiction. Do you understand that?

Now, I think a military panel would rule that the guy does not have t say "under God" , but the COTUS does NOT apply here.

maybe....it should be removed

Personally I believe it should be optional.

In either case though, the ridiculous notion that the first amendment has anything to do with this is just ridiculous.I have a hard time believing anyone who served doesn't remember that one of the first things they tell you is "The military owns you now"

The UCMJ gives many of the same protections as the COTUS, but entirely the same .

If I were the Air Force, Id change my policy, reenlist this pussy and send him to the North Pole for 4 years.
And people like you is why we have the 1st Amendment and the ACLU.

You have a first amendment right to not be sent somewhere when you join the military? II though you served?
I did...and the Navy didn't make us swear to God...we could swear or affirm.

There is o
Atheist airman must swear so help me God or get out in November Air Force Times airforcetimes.com

Oh the title isnt a lie.

The Air Force used to allow airmen to omit the phrase “so help me God” if they so chose. But an Oct. 30, 2013, update to Air Force Instruction 36-2606, which spells out the active-duty oath of enlistment, dropped that option. Since that quiet update to the AFI, airmen have been required to swear an oath to a deity when they enlist or reenlist.

The idea that any branch requires you to swear an oath to god in order to fight for this nation is an insult to serving in the military since we have people serving of all faiths.
There is only one God, Balls...same God for everyone whether you believe it or not. You have no say.
My goddess, not your god.....right.
God has no sexual identity or desire. That is exactly how God remains far ahead of the assholes God created.

If I were the Air Force, Id change my policy, reenlist this pussy and send him to the North Pole for 4 years.

You have a first amendment right to not be sent somewhere when you join the military? II though you served?

What does that have to do with you claiming the ACLU could d a damned thing?

Isn't it fun, pissing off atheists?

Great sport, messing with the minds of those arrogant, flying spaghetti-monster -worshipping folk.

Atheist airman must swear so help me God or get out in November Air Force Times airforcetimes.com

Oh the title isnt a lie.

The Air Force used to allow airmen to omit the phrase “so help me God” if they so chose. But an Oct. 30, 2013, update to Air Force Instruction 36-2606, which spells out the active-duty oath of enlistment, dropped that option. Since that quiet update to the AFI, airmen have been required to swear an oath to a deity when they enlist or reenlist.

The idea that any branch requires you to swear an oath to god in order to fight for this nation is an insult to serving in the military since we have people serving of all faiths.
The jackass should just say " so help me nod" and move on with her stellar career.

Oh the title isnt a lie.

They are taking an oath. When you place your hand on the authorized King James Bible before taking the witness stand to swear you are telling the truth you do the same thing. The oath is the same, I swear to tell the whole truth, nothing but the truth so help me God. Sound familiar? It should. It is done in every courtroom across America. Why? Our founding fathers - this nation was founded as a Christian nation and was dedicated to God as a Christian nation. You could always move to Saudi Arabia and pledge to Allah or some other god if you wish. That is your right. Here in America we believe on the God of the Bible and have established our Constitution, Bill of Rights, our system with respect to God Almighty. Not hindu gods or another other gods. The Lord Jesus Christ is God. We honor the name of the LORD when taking an official oath in this country.

You need a REAL history lesson instead of listening to that revisionist history nonsense.

America was NOT founded as a Christian nation. In fact, the founding fathers intentionally excluded both the inclusion of any specific religion within the US Constitution but also excluded a religious test for holding office within the gov't.

I know that the late D. James Kennedy and others have chosen to conflate patriotism and Christian religiosity as if Jesus was a conservative American in his attitudes and beliefs, but the simple yet unadorned truth is that America (as far as the US Constitution is concerned) is a secular gov't. The fact that a majority of its citizens are members of one Christian sect or another is not material to the framework of the document of the constitution itself. In fact, the religious views of modern-day America are simply not the same as they were 200 years ago and will likely be different even 50 years from now. But the framework for the Constitution is fundamentally the same even with the addition of another 17 Amendments to the constitution.

Now, IF you and your fellow believers want to change the US Constitution to make America a Christian version of Iran (which is essentially a theocracy), then you need to try to AMEND the constitution to MAKE America a Christian nation. But you should expect one hell of a fight from people who don't want to go down that road given the strife that religion has historically played all over the world when one group seeks to impose its religious values on the rest of the population. That's as true today as it was 200 years ago when the framers realized what a mistake it would be to codify faith in the framework of our governance.

what
SO why doesnt he?

Now, I think a military panel would rule that the guy does not have t say "under God" , but the COTUS does NOT apply here.

In either case though, the ridiculous notion that the first amendment has anything to do with this is just ridiculous.I have a hard time believing anyone who served doesn't remember that one of the first things they tell you is "The military owns you now"

The UCMJ gives many of the same protections as the COTUS, but entirely the same .
well outside of the argument that the government may be promoting one religion over another, and since the Air-force tends to be mostly Fundi Christians its not that far of a leap.

True.

But I don't quite understand how anyone in the military would think that the ACLU would be an outlet for change in the military. It is drummed in your head that any outside forces are not at your disposal....I mean...military 101 in all branches.

Of course they can....anyone can get an ACLU lawyer to fight for their 1st Amendment rights when groups like the Air Farce tries to take them away.

what
SO why doesnt he?

well outside of the argument that the government may be promoting one religion over another, and since the Air-force tends to be mostly Fundi Christians its not that far of a leap.

While I object to the term Fundi Christian, let's set that aside for a moment.

Are you aware that UCMJ could be amended t say that ONLY Christians could serve and there isn't a damned thing the ACLU could do about it?

Now, don't think that I am suggesting such a thing, I am not. I am merely setting up a hypothetical. Soldiers in the military have VOLUNTARILY given up their Constitutional rights.

True.

But I don't quite understand how anyone in the military would think that the ACLU would be an outlet for change in the military. It is drummed in your head that any outside forces are not at your disposal....I mean...military 101 in all branches.
Are you saying that this Airman has no legal recourse to protect his freedom of religion and freedom FROM religion?

Of course they can....anyone can get an ACLU lawyer to fight for their 1st Amendment rights when groups like the Air Farce tries to take them away.

How old are you? Did you serve so long ago that you have forgotten everything they taught you?

How old are you? Did you serve so long ago that you have forgotten everything they taught you?
And what is it what I said that is legally incorrect?

huh?
Please tell me you are just having a senior moment. I would hate to think that you have been lying about your service over the last few years. I mean, that would be the lowest of the low.

And what is it what I said that is legally incorrect?
Short and sweet.

A soldier can not sue the military.

Ever.

True.

Are you saying that this Airman has no legal recourse to protect his freedom of religion and freedom FROM religion?
He does not.
Imagine a military that can be sued by active soldiers.
Every injury subject to suit. Every war subject to suit.

It would never work.

No. He does not. He does not like it, he does not have4 to serve.

We are OK with that.

Forum List

Back