Alabama Voters Pass Amendment to Display Ten Commandments at Public Schools

Ask the students: " Do you think anything was left out that should be there?"

"Do you think anything was included that is not very important?"

"Do you think this list was influenced by the contemporary morality of bronze age people?"

"Do you think you can make a better list?"

Separation of church and state. I guess if you cant count on people from Alabama not to marry their sisters they wouldnt understand that concept either.

What’s wrong with , tho shout not kill, tho shout not steal, and the other common sense rules of humanity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Religious teaching belongs in Sunday school. You all would have a cow if Quranic verses were displayed. There is no difference hear. Kids have enough to learn without adding religious indoctrination.

A plaque with commandments is indoctrination?

Give me a break and stop with the hyoerbole The fact is if a school had 500 students about 2 would read it a day....if that

So you would have no problem with a plaque of Quranic scripture? I am willing to bet the right would scream indoctrination.

No. It does not belong in schools. It is the proverbial camel’s nose.

Go ahead you might get 2 students reading that also. If that

You people dont understand children, they don't give two shits about what adults fight and squabble about....they are busy being kids. With that said leave them alone and let them be kids. It's hard enough for them as it is
The idea is to have no students reading it on school property. If you want them to read it, take them to church or give them a bible to read.

Religious teaching belongs in Sunday school. You all would have a cow if Quranic verses were displayed. There is no difference hear. Kids have enough to learn without adding religious indoctrination.

A plaque with commandments is indoctrination?

Give me a break and stop with the hyoerbole The fact is if a school had 500 students about 2 would read it a day....if that

So you would have no problem with a plaque of Quranic scripture? I am willing to bet the right would scream indoctrination.

No. It does not belong in schools. It is the proverbial camel’s nose.

Go ahead you might get 2 students reading that also. If that

You people dont understand children, they don't give two shits about what adults fight and squabble about....they are busy being kids. With that said leave them alone and let them be kids. It's hard enough for them as it is
Oh I agree with you on the kids, but that still doesn’t make it right and the parents would have a cow. You know that. Public schools are not for religious learning other than it’s historical role.

A plaque isn't part of curriculums. With that said butt sex, transgenders, drag queens, etc isnt part of public education either but for some reason there it is
Thats stupid. Sex isnt a religion.

More questions for the students:

"Why is your list better?

"Does our modern, scientific knowledge inform any morality not included on the bronze age list?"

"Would our society be better or worse off if we abandoned our legal code, and instead replaced it with the ten commandments?"

"Can anything on the list be figured out by other means?"

"Which of the ten commandments should be enforced by law, and which should not?"

The very thing judge Roy Moore was removed from office for.Good for you Alabama.The Godless commies will be along directly to get this amendment struck down.Just watch....They have judges on payroll in Hawaii to do just this!:)

In the Nov. 6 elections, residents of Alabma voted overwhelmingly to amend their state constitution to authorize the display of the Ten Commandments on public property, including public schools. The measure, Alabama Amendment 1, also defined certain religious liberty rights to be included in the state's constitution.

Read more at cnsnews.com ...

So because someone doesn't believe in the 10 commandments, they are godless commies? You realize that there are lot of God fearing individuals who do not believe in Christianity?

the ten commandments seem to be commonality in between Judaism,
Christianity and islam------approximately---in sum they add up to a very
general code. I have never encountered a
Buddhist, Hindu or even atheist who objected to the content
The legal system in the USA is sorta based on biblical principles and
the bible is LITERATURE-------just as reasonable a public thing
as quotations from Hamlet despite the fact that not everyone is
Elizabethan era English

Atheist do not agree with the 10 commandments. Especially since one of them is worshipping God.

So since the Bible is literature, would you mind some Quran verses being displayed? A lot of Quran
If everybody followed the 10 commandments, no jackboot cops would be needed, correct?

America was founded on the policy of self-policing and worshiping God.

True story.

Really? So 10 commandments covers rape a drug dealing? I had no idea.

^^^^^^^ more and more stupidity ^^^^^^ For the record----there are
some decent passages in the Koran-----and even more in the BHAGAVAD GITA ------I see no problem with putting up quotations of
nice literature. The ten commandments touch on basic rules of human
conduct----recorded thousands of years ago------

The very thing judge Roy Moore was removed from office for.Good for you Alabama.The Godless commies will be along directly to get this amendment struck down.Just watch....They have judges on payroll in Hawaii to do just this!:)

In the Nov. 6 elections, residents of Alabma voted overwhelmingly to amend their state constitution to authorize the display of the Ten Commandments on public property, including public schools. The measure, Alabama Amendment 1, also defined certain religious liberty rights to be included in the state's constitution.

So because someone doesn't believe in the 10 commandments, they are godless commies? You realize that there are lot of God fearing individuals who do not believe in Christianity?

Elizabethan era English

Atheist do not agree with the 10 commandments. Especially since one of them is worshipping God.

So since the Bible is literature, would you mind some Quran verses being displayed? A lot of Quran
If everybody followed the 10 commandments, no jackboot cops would be needed, correct?

True story.

some decent passages in the Koran-----and even more in the BHAGAVAD GITA ------I see no problem with putting up quotations of
Great! What pledge amount can we put you down for? $100? What amount are you willing to pay to display the 5 pillars of Islam on the gymnasium floor?

Christianity has nothing to do with 10 simple commandments that lead to a better life. But then. You ABNORMALS are known for having extremely low IQ's and can't figure that out.
The Ten Commandments are documented in the Christian Bible, or no one would even know about them. They are nothing but Christian dogma. Of course, I agree that for the most part there is nothing wrong with them--rules to live an ordered life by. However, they are most certainly Christian.

clearly, you have never been in a synagogue------as to the "Christian bible" ----aka "the new testament" I do not remember those verses in
that book. People know about them because a bunch of jews translated them into Greek-----about 2300 years ago from Hebrew

on the floor? in Arabic? with the word "allah" in Arabic thrown in? ---how about the dressing room toilet? When I was a kid---before stepping into the shower room----we had to slosh barefoot in solution
designed to forestall the spread of foot fungus-----how about there?

Elizabethan era English

True story.

Great! What pledge amount can we put you down for? $100? What amount are you willing to pay to display the 5 pillars of Islam on the gymnasium floor?

The government shouldn't be involved in education period. Republicans used to run on that. But there are very few real conservatives representing the Republican party in Washington. If we want to be good conservatives, the best way to do that is to start by asking what the role of government should be. And we have a very good guide in the Constitution.
They have to be involved in education. They provide funds for schools via federal, state, and local taxes.

There is nothing in the Constitution that requires the government to educate anyone. They need to quit providing and burdening the taxpayers.
Who mentioned the word "constitution" and what does that have to do with what I said?

Why does government have to be involved in education?
You should be able to read the law.

Yes, everyone has a personal responsibility, thank you.

More questions for students:

"Why do you suppose the ten commandments warn against coveting your neighbor's wife and livestock, but not your neighbor's husband?"

If I am an Alabama teacher, I spin this positively as a teaching moment. Have the students read the bronze age, ignorant ten commandments. Have them critique the immoral things about them and their omissions. Then,have them write a better set of ten commandments. I imagine even 11 year olds will come up with a far superior moral code.

Then, for the older students, study some of the myriad religions in the world. Have them collect some of the iconic teachings , then have them posted in the hallway, or gym. Then analyze the the arguments for and against why the ten commandments should be sponsored on state property, but not, say, the 5 pillars of Islam.

Lots of good teaching opportunity there.
Jesus pretty much simplified the Ten Commandments with The Golden Rule. Simple, shrimple, covers about everything except the graven images.

"Which of the ten commandments describe 'thought crimes'?"

none----but they do you ask?
Your opinion is noted.

I meant to write---WHY do you ask
Because it is worthy of analysis. The ethics and morality of punishing people for their thoughts is worth discussing.

true----but why should the issue be noted in the TEN? ------the ten
commandments is not the ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA (this comment should in NO WAY be construed as an endorsement of
the encyclopedia Britannica)

If I am an Alabama teacher, I spin this positively as a teaching moment. Have the students read the bronze age, ignorant ten commandments. Have them critique the immoral things about them and their omissions. Then,have them write a better set of ten commandments. I imagine even 11 year olds will come up with a far superior moral code.

Then, for the older students, study some of the myriad religions in the world. Have them collect some of the iconic teachings , then have them posted in the hallway, or gym. Then analyze the the arguments for and against why the ten commandments should be sponsored on state property, but not, say, the 5 pillars of Islam.

Lots of good teaching opportunity there.
Jesus pretty much simplified the Ten Commandments with The Golden Rule. Simple, shrimple, covers about everything except the graven images.
Jesus didn't invent the golden rule. That was cribbed from Hellenistic thought. Which, incidentally, was crushed in the name of christianity for a millennium.

Forum List

Back