🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Alabama Voters Pass Amendment to Display Ten Commandments at Public Schools

"Which of the ten commandments describe 'thought crimes'?"

none----but they do you ask?
Your opinion is noted.

I meant to write---WHY do you ask
Because it is worthy of analysis. The ethics and morality of punishing people for their thoughts is worth discussing.

true----but why should the issue be noted in the TEN? ------the ten
commandments is not the ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA (this comment should in NO WAY be construed as an endorsement of
the encyclopedia Britannica)
Again, your opinion is noted. The students may or may not arrive at the same opinion. That is what lessons and discussions are for.

The very thing judge Roy Moore was removed from office for.Good for you Alabama.The Godless commies will be along directly to get this amendment struck down.Just watch....They have judges on payroll in Hawaii to do just this!:)

In the Nov. 6 elections, residents of Alabma voted overwhelmingly to amend their state constitution to authorize the display of the Ten Commandments on public property, including public schools. The measure, Alabama Amendment 1, also defined certain religious liberty rights to be included in the state's constitution.

Read more at cnsnews.com ...

If I am an Alabama teacher, I spin this positively as a teaching moment. Have the students read the bronze age, ignorant ten commandments. Have them critique the immoral things about them and their omissions. Then,have them write a better set of ten commandments. I imagine even 11 year olds will come up with a far superior moral code.

Then, for the older students, study some of the myriad religions in the world. Have them collect some of the iconic teachings , then have them posted in the hallway, or gym. Then analyze the the arguments for and against why the ten commandments should be sponsored on state property, but not, say, the 5 pillars of Islam.

Lots of good teaching opportunity there.
Jesus pretty much simplified the Ten Commandments with The Golden Rule. Simple, shrimple, covers about everything except the graven images.

Jesus quoted HILLEL-----Hillel was a Talmudist who lived at that time----he died in Jerusalem very near the time that Jesus is said to have been born. Chances are one could not walk thru the Galil or
thru Jerusalem without hearing HILLEL stuff---back then. He is
STILL QUOTED extensively by jews. simple shrimple stuff he used
as a teacher. Lots of Jewish day schools are called "HILLEL ACADEMY" or something like that------there are hillel day camps----
and school clubs "HILLEL CLUB" Want some more-----long long
ago learned to recite some of them in hebrew

The very thing judge Roy Moore was removed from office for.Good for you Alabama.The Godless commies will be along directly to get this amendment struck down.Just watch....They have judges on payroll in Hawaii to do just this!:)

In the Nov. 6 elections, residents of Alabma voted overwhelmingly to amend their state constitution to authorize the display of the Ten Commandments on public property, including public schools. The measure, Alabama Amendment 1, also defined certain religious liberty rights to be included in the state's constitution.

If I am an Alabama teacher, I spin this positively as a teaching moment. Have the students read the bronze age, ignorant ten commandments. Have them critique the immoral things about them and their omissions. Then,have them write a better set of ten commandments. I imagine even 11 year olds will come up with a far superior moral code.

Then, for the older students, study some of the myriad religions in the world. Have them collect some of the iconic teachings , then have them posted in the hallway, or gym. Then analyze the the arguments for and against why the ten commandments should be sponsored on state property, but not, say, the 5 pillars of Islam.

Jesus pretty much simplified the Ten Commandments with The Golden Rule. Simple, shrimple, covers about everything except the graven images.
Jesus didn't invent the golden rule. That was cribbed from Hellenistic thought. Which, incidentally, was crushed in the name of christianity for a millennium.
Interesting factoid. Confucius is also given credit. Let's argue about something really petty. It's so much fun.

Jesus didn't invent the golden rule. That was cribbed from Hellenistic thought. Which, incidentally, was crushed in the name of christianity for a millennium.

wrong-----Hellenistic thought had nothing to do with it-----unless you
cite some UNUSUAL philosophers like EPICURUS, ----certainly not
PLATO ------as to prevalent thought in ancient Greece---NOT AT ALL

Jesus quoted HILLEL-----Hillel was a Talmudist who lived at that time----he died in Jerusalem very near the time that Jesus is said to have been born. Chances are one could not walk thru the Galil or
thru Jerusalem without hearing HILLEL stuff---back then. He is
STILL QUOTED extensively by jews. simple shrimple stuff he used
as a teacher. Lots of Jewish day schools are called "HILLEL ACADEMY" or something like that------there are hillel day camps----
and school clubs "HILLEL CLUB" Want some more-----long long
ago learned to recite some of them in hebrew
cool beans, Rosie

Interesting factoid. Confucius is also given credit. Let's argue about something really petty. It's so much fun.
What was petty was crediting jesus or Christianity for ideas that were around long before either. Don't force someone to correct you, then complain when you are corrected.

yes---Confucius too

THIS IS NOT THE RELIGION AND ETHICS FORUM and I'll be damned if I get into discussions over shit like this.

yes---Confucius too
Correct! Gee, it's starting to seem as thought we can derive good ideas from reason with no need for divine sky daddies, or shamans, or prophets.

Something tells me that school children, given the modern environment into which they were born, will arrive at this conclusion.

Another way to divide people. What are the first four of those Ten Commandments?

Every religion has some version of the Golden Rule...maybe a plaque putting all of them up...

yes---Confucius too
Correct! Gee, it's starting to seem as thought we can derive good ideas from reason with no need for divine sky daddies, or shamans, or prophets.

Something tells me that school children, given the modern environment into which they were born, will arrive at this conclusion.

very possible-----developmental psychologists theorize that a sense of
JUSTICE -----is hardwired in the human brain

Every religion has some version of the Golden Rule...maybe a plaque putting all of them up...
Or just one plaque with the modern version. Should we also put up all the methods of curing disease from the year 1700 in biology class? No... A thin analogy, but the point is there.

all of them?

Excellent topic for discussion, really. Some theorize that this is really just a transactional sense of justice... "Eye for an eye" justice, lacking in any real moral or ethical nuance.

What was petty was crediting jesus or Christianity for ideas that were around long before either. Don't force someone to correct you, then complain when you are corrected.
ofercrissake.

Now that would be pretty interesting. If only the pols would read it....

yes---Confucius too

Don't you think parents have been hollering some version of the Golden Rule to their squabbling children since they were harboring up in caves? I think so.

yes---Confucius too

Don't you think parents have been hollering some version of the Golden Rule to their squabbling children since they were harboring up in caves? I think so.

probably----because a sense of JUSTICE is hardwired in the HUMAN brain-----it constitutues a SURVIVAL OF THE SPECIES advantage-----
"don't kill your brother and don't steal his peanut butter and jelly sandwich------we NEED HIM"

"Which of the ten commandments describe 'thought crimes'?"

The 9th and10th

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's

Hmm looks like male gays are breaking a commandment. :laugh:

Forum List

Back