All things PINK!

pink-toilet-and-sink.jpg

Electrical gremlins forced me to completely redo the entire wiring harness in my MGA. I had a Hillman that wouldn't start in cold weather and used to go through batteries and starter motors like they were disposable tissues. Then I found out about the Heathkit electronic ignition system. I bought it and soldered it together and plugged it in. Car ran rough so I had to change the plug gaps to 40 thou. From that moment onwards it never failed to start irrespective of how bad the weather became.

Interesting side note that was that I sent it in for an oil change and they charged me for points and plugs. So I asked them to produce the used parts. When the mechanic turned up with a greasy set of old Champion plugs I asked him what he had set the new plug gap at. He said 25 thou, so I turned to the service manager and said that he is lying. The Hillman has Lodge plugs set to 40 thou and it won't run at 25. I tore up his bill and walked out. He didn't even try and make me pay for the oil change. ;)

Lucas wasn't the only company to supply piss poor electrical components. I had to rewire a Maserati I bought that had fried the harness. I made a few bucks on that deal. I had to sell the thing cause I couldn't afford to insure it.

Italian electrics were atrocious. On my Ducati 450 single the vibration would shake them all loose. Then I had the 860 Ducati twin and that thing chewed up magnetos. The ride and handling were awesome but you never knew when you going to be sitting on the side of the road waiting for a friend with a pickup to come and haul it back home again.

I almost bought a Benelli 750 6 cylinder back in the day, but the electrics scared me and with only a half dozen of them in the States, I ended up going back to American iron.

Forum List

Back