Alleged Apalachee Shooter Was Known to FBI, Made Threats Last Year

It never became a law enforcement issue because useless law enforcement did nothing despite the threats made by the shooter.
Maybe the threats were too vague to prosecute. I think that's where the smart money lies.

"One day I will shoot up a school"

Not prosecutable

I read nothing of an AR-15 used in the shooting. Only one report of an "AR style platform". That means what?
AR clone most likely.
They did? What did the investigation reveal?
"Then what" depends on the result of the investigation, genius, and ranges from nothing to taking the kid into custody.

"Federal investigators said on Wednesday that the suspect in the shooting at a Georgia high school had been interviewed more than a year ago by local law enforcement officials in connection to threats made online of a school shooting.

The authorities were led to the suspect, Colt Gray, who was 13 at the time, after the F.B.I.’s National Threat Operations Center received several anonymous tips in May 2023 reporting threats that had been posted on an online gaming site warning of a school shooting at “an unidentified location and time,” according to statements from the F.B.I. field office in Atlanta and local law enforcement officials. The threats included photographs of guns.

Investigators from the sheriff’s office in Jackson County, Ga., interviewed the suspect and his father, the F.B.I. said. His father told investigators that he had hunting guns in the house, but said that his son did not have unsupervised access to the weapons. The suspect denied making the threats.
The F.B.I. said that the Jackson County authorities alerted local schools “for continued monitoring of the subject.” But it was unclear if officials at Apalachee High School, where the shooting took place and the suspect was a student this year, had been among those informed; the school is in Winder, Ga., in neighboring Barrow County.
The F.B.I., in its statement, said that investigators lacked probable cause to arrest the teenager or “take any additional law enforcement action on the local, state or federal levels.”
In a separate statement, Janis G. Mangum, the sheriff in Jackson County, said that a “thorough investigation was conducted,” but that “the gaming site threats could not be substantiated.”"
How could they legally stop it, in Georgia?
Exactly. They couldn't.
Please, tell us what they should have done with the 13 year old child to have stopped this.

It's not a "gotcha". I am genuinely curious what action everyone thinks should have been taken with a 13 year old making threats.
Exactly. Without red flag laws they couldn't do more than they did.
Metal detectors and body cavity searches at the door of schools to make sure the kids aren't packing heat.
body cavity searches?
If someone makes death threats online the DOJ can get involved

The FBI should have done more
What?
I see no need for body cavity searches
Unconstitutional on its face.

The teacher who left the door unsecured should be jailed for involuntary manslaughter or something to that affect
Also a terrible idea. Maybe we should throw the school board in jail for not making sure more people check the door. Silly.

In your weird dystopia, we just wait for shooters to kill people, then throw everyone else in jail.

We can do better.

Forum List

Back